Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Oh I didn't say I respect it - let me make that clear.

It's just that if you look at the marketing strategies that Marvel uses on a monthly basis, this one is mild in comparison. They're only trying to get store owners to shell out for 2 variant covers on it for starters. That shows remarkable restraint on their part! The standard for shadiness in the comics market needs a completely different calibration than what the games market uses. But you can take it as read that mostly I object to pretty much most of how the comics arm of Marvel does business - from how they treat their employees all the way up to how their editor in chief once pretended to be Japanese to get stories published.

Apologies! Bad reading comprehension on my part. We're certainly on the same team here.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Apologies! Bad reading comprehension on my part. We're certainly on the same team here.
Naw - not your fault. It very easily looks like I'm trying to defend them when actually I'm just resigned to their business practices. I can see how my cynicism reads like support :)

It's tough being a comics fan once you know how the business works. The creators are great but the companies are terrible in general.

Staffan

Legend
There are retroclones out there that are walking that line but yeah - I doubt anyone with money would want to use that system.

Also - chart-based systems are pretty retro these days. Torg is the only one in print that I can think of off the top of my head, and their decision to hew as close to the original system as possible was a choice made because it's so core to the original game that it's hard to imagine doing it without it (and they did cut as many charts at they could from the system when they revamped it).
To be fair, you only have the bonus chart in TORG: Eternity, although that does see a lot of use. But it's not like OG TORG where you also had charts for different types of interaction attacks, general success levels, damage (differentiated between ords and possibility-rated targets), two different types of "pushes" (things like running faster, lifting more, etc.), charm/persuasion, etcetera. OG TORG basically required a GM screen with all the charts, but TORG: Eternity pretty much only needs the bonus chart.

aramis erak

Legend
Are those different things in your area? Of my four local geek hobby shops, two just sell games and two sell both comics and games.
In my area, two of the three gamestores are not comic stores. One I've not been to, but drive by; one I won't go back to ever (Owner is an arrogant jerk who makes me look humble and non-confrontational). The last is the comics, games, and collectibles shop...
three other stores carry some games... two educational supply places, and a hobby shop. The hobby shop is reducing their games progressively; they're getting out of the games business save for MTG sealed packs.

My underdstanding is that my FLCS will have it in early May, so we can probably expect some lucky folks to have review copies or the like soon.

Are they sure they have the right date? Or did they just not order it soon enough to get copies on release day? It is still listed as April 19 for both physical and kindle release.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
The latest release date on our Amazon pre-orders is the19th so some people may have a copy next week.

Screen refreshes and I see Enevhar already mentioned it above - ah well!

Remove ads

Remove ads