Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
IIRC, I was told the release date had been bumped to early May.
Matt Forbeck was saying 'less than two weeks' on the 7th April, and Amazon still says the 19th, so it sounds like the 19th April is still the release date. Your FLGS seems to be getting it later for some reason?

I recently moved to a new city, which seems to have about 5 or 6 comic shops, or about 5 more than my previous location, but they practice the US small-business tradition of being closed on Mondays, so I need to wait until tomorrow to call around and see if any of them pre-ordered copies or if I have to order through Amazon. But I will find out more on their date for it tomorrow. If theirs are off too, then it could just be a Diamond Distribution thing, or whichever company is handling it.

edit: just went to Twitter and Matt just posted this a couple of minutes ago. @Morrus I don't know if you want to start a new thread dedicated to discussing this or not?

Oh, and this article, direct from Marvel, says both digital and physical copies are available on April 20.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Preview.

“You roll three standard six-sided dice, one of which is the Marvel die. If you get a 1 on the Marvel die, you get a fantastic result and something amazing happens. If you get 6 on both of the other dice—or a 6-1-6 result—that’s an ultimate fantastic roll, which is even better.”

“Combine that with our rules for edges and troubles—which offer dice re-rolls”

Sounds like dis/advantage.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I mean, the dice sound fun. But that branching / ranking power system. That reads a lot like feat chains. Ugh. I hope I’m wrong. If I’m right, I think I’d rather stick with MHR or Marvel Superheroes.
This is a playtest, I think, so time to chime in.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This is a playtest, I think, so time to chime in.
Sure. But the chances of them reworking a fundamental aspect of a game that’s due to properly launch…when? 6-8 months from now…is not what I’d call high. Like most public playtests, especially those with a price tag, it’s more a marketing gimmick than a proper playtest.

Remove ads

Remove ads