Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

It'll probably make it in somewhere if the game is successful...but this is comics first.

And that has a chance to limit the audience for the game. Many millions more people watch the movies than ever read the comics. I have not read a Marvel or DC comic since the late 90's and I have no desire to go back to them and much prefer the stories from the movies and D+. The comic books could all be cancelled and rebooted for the 100th time and I would never notice.

aramis erak

Legend
And that has a chance to limit the audience for the game. Many millions more people watch the movies than ever read the comics. I have not read a Marvel or DC comic since the late 90's and I have no desire to go back to them and much prefer the stories from the movies and D+. The comic books could all be cancelled and rebooted for the 100th time and I would never notice.
Maybe, but not really that significant, due to the nature of the Marvel continuities...

The MCU (u# 199999) is pretty close to the main comics continuity (u# 616), and most of the big plotlines have been borrowed into 199999 from 616. Whedon having been in charge, he's kept 199999 pretty close to 616, quite on purpose, as he's a comics nerd, too.

There is, however, simply more to draw from in 616, so the broader coverage is a good thing. And it's not like stats for Black Widow #1 (Natasha) are that different across the range. Nor Thor, Loki, Captain America, Spiderman, Spider-woman, Spider Girl, Hulk, She-hulk, Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, etc...

Staffan

Legend
I’m curious what you mean by ‘all the rage nowadays’. What current games require special dice other than the typical 7 we all have?
In addition to FFG's Star Wars/Genesys and Modiphius's 2d20 effect dice, Mutant Year Zero does. Technically you can get by with regular d6:es, but you need to provide them in at least three different colors and keep track of special effects on 1s on two of them. Forbidden Lands uses a similar system, but mixes it up by adding Artifact dice that can be bigger and have up to three successes (IIRC) on them.

2d20, at least in its Star Trek form, uses Challenge Dice that I would not want to convert from regular dice on the fly. A 1 is one hit/damage, a 2 is two hits/damage, 3-4 do nothing, and 5-6 are one hit/damage + an Effect. That's complex enough that I'd want to use the special dice.

The One Ring also uses a special d12 numbered 1-10 with a pair of extra symbols, but I'm not sure what those mean or how convenient it would be to just use a regular d12 and say 11 = Gandalf and 12 = Sauron.

aramis erak

Legend
In addition to FFG's Star Wars/Genesys and Modiphius's 2d20 effect dice, Mutant Year Zero does. Technically you can get by with regular d6:es, but you need to provide them in at least three different colors and keep track of special effects on 1s on two of them. Forbidden Lands uses a similar system, but mixes it up by adding Artifact dice that can be bigger and have up to three successes (IIRC) on them.

2d20, at least in its Star Trek form, uses Challenge Dice that I would not want to convert from regular dice on the fly. A 1 is one hit/damage, a 2 is two hits/damage, 3-4 do nothing, and 5-6 are one hit/damage + an Effect. That's complex enough that I'd want to use the special dice.

The One Ring also uses a special d12 numbered 1-10 with a pair of extra symbols, but I'm not sure what those mean or how convenient it would be to just use a regular d12 and say 11 = Gandalf and 12 = Sauron.
You've got the relationship backwards on the d12 for TOR. 11 is Sauron, 12 for gandalf. 11/Sauron is read as 0, and if you failed, a crit fail. 12/Gandalf is simply a "you achieve a success"...

Trek, JCoM, and Conan use effect dice; Dune does not. The effect dice work identically across games. My players had no issues using a graphical card reminder of the effect dice results.

MYZ needs three colors; Alien needs two. Tales needs 1. Vaessen needs 1. The custom symbols are nice, but far from essential, as it's always and only 1 for bad and 6 for success.

People are going on about special uses for the standard 7 dice, when it was asked about systems that use special dice and not the standard 7, it was meant about dice with a number of sides other than those 7, not standard-sided dice with things other than numbers on them. This is drawn from the early talk about whether this new system will use a D16.

Staffan

Legend
MYZ needs three colors; Alien needs two. Tales needs 1. Vaessen needs 1. The custom symbols are nice, but far from essential, as it's always and only 1 for bad and 6 for success.
Yes, you can do without in a pinch, but they're really nice to have. Particularly because 1s (a) mean different things on gear, skill, and ability dice, and (b) can be rerolled when pushing on skill dice but not on ability or gear dice (as shown by having symbols on the "1" side on those dice).

I mean, you can use regular dice for any game. Even Star Wars has a key explaining how to use regular d6s, d8s, and d12s, but I certainly wouldn't want to play that way.

Not much new info that I can find on this four months after the initial announcement. One thing, if Amazon has the correct date, is that the vague March 2022 release date is now showing a specific date of March 29, 2022 and a page count of 104 and it is $9.99. That date is now officially after Doctor Strange 2 hits theaters, so as I wondered before, if the game includes all Marvel properties, Loki has aired, and What If? has aired, and the multiverse of DS2 will be known, how will it all work together?

Remove ads

Remove ads