• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masks of Nyarlathotep: OOC [CoC d20]

Rookseye

Explorer
I have to echo Douane's comment. Making it as an alternate is not necessarily a bad thing for a Call of Cthulhu game. Not that I am wishing a horrific end to any of the initial player group (read: appetizers), but in my eagerness to play, I'll be watching closely for any openings!

Douane

First Post
Not Gomez, but I'll try to answer anyway. :)

Defense bonus variant rule is in effect. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gomez, I don't know what this does?
Defense bonus variant grants a level- and option-based bonus to defense. In case of a 4th level, offensive-option PC it results in a whooping +0 Bonus. It also grants an offensive-option character a free weapon proficiency which you used on pistols.

Gomez, how will we do wealth? Do I make wealth checks for the items below or is there a table you want us to use. Can I get more stuff or is the list below too much?
Wealth is determined as following:

(1d6-1) x 1000$ = Yearly income
(result from roll above) x 2000$ = Starting Money (Savings)

Small correction to the sheet: Bluff doesn't add a synergy bonus to Diplomacy. [Cthulhu D20, p.22 and p.25]

Hope this helps a bit!

Folkert

Douane

First Post
Gomez said:
[...] That would be perfectly fine with me. [...] Yes. [...] Yes. But I would like to limit this to one player.

Thanks for the answers! ;)

Psychics are by no means an essential part of the character, so I'll wait if anybody else wants in. If not, I'll probably take the Sensitive feat and perhaps the Psychometry one (not really sure about that one).

Job

First Post
Gomez!

Welcome back! I'll be keeping an eye on the fun and, like many fans of auto racing, I'll be hoping to see a nasty 13 car pileup! Good luck. :eek:

Job.

Arabesu

oh ...

Hi Douane, thanks for the answers.

Huh, so what happens if I don't use the Option? I don't really want to go back an redo the PC, but if I take one of the defensive options with good will, then would my defense bonus go up from +0? Maybe I should redo, since the improved initiative is spurious and unnecessary and defense is always important.

I mostly play d20 modern, so I'll probably be a little backwards with the differences between d20 CoC and modern. I was going for a fast/charismatic hero hybrid; not sure what the best options are in this system.

Is there a d20 CoC SRD?

So starting money should be on average $5000? Wow that seems like a lot for 1925. I guess if you want to buy a car it isn't but otherwise...

Arabesu

the best offense is a good defense, just ask the Patriots

Thanks for the comments Douane; I think the defensive options are better, so I revised.

Why does Bluff not add to diplomacy? In all of the other d20 systems it does? That seems odd that CoC would be unique. Doesn't really matter, diplomacy +11 is still pretty good. :)

If you happen to have the CoC book, handy would you be willing to price out the items I've suggest Fanny would want? The rest would go to her wardrobe. If not, I can probably borrow my friend's book indefinitely later on in the week.

Douane

First Post
No SRD, unfortunately.

Give me a moment and I'll lay out the differences between the offensive and defensive options. Absolutely no need to totally redo Fanny. :)

[EDIT] Here we are:

If Fanny went from the offensive option to defensive option, she has to:

1. Make one of her previously bad saves (Fortitude or Reflexes in her case) into a good one, bringing it to +4 base instead of +1.
2. Lose 1 point of BAB; +2 instead of +3. (It will also increase at a slower rate over future levels.)
3. Lose the free Weapon proficiency feat.
4. Gain a +2 bonus to defense.

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Ok, character posted, but need some info/feedback. How many feats am I granted, Offensive Option taken, I currently have 3 listed, but am I allowed one of the Weapon Proficiency's free, so that I may actually take another feat?

Other than that, see anything wrong with the mechanics that I may have overlooked?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads