• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mass combat rules

S'mon

Legend
ddougan said:
This is not actually correct according to the 3.0 DMG (I think 3.5 is the same approach). The 64 @ EL3 is correct according to the "Doubling the Number of Foes adds 2 to the EL" rule of thumb.

The rule only applies for CRs 2+. CRS under 2 are treated differently. :p

ddougan

First Post
S'mon said:
The rule only applies for CRs 2+. CRS under 2 are treated differently. :p

Hmmm - I'm not so sure :)

Dont want to sound like a rules lawyer, but I can see where there'd be confusion here...

The rules for CR are special below a CR of 1 (1 or greater is standard). This is on page 101 of the DMG.

However, the rules for EL are special below an EL of 2 (3 or greater is standard). This is on page 167 of the DMG.

So, 2 x CR1 creatures is still an EL3 (because by page 101, they are normal rules for the CR -> EL calculation). And therefore, 4 CR1 creatures would be EL5 (because 4 x CR1 = 2 x EL3, and by page 167, EL3 and above are normal rules, hence 2 x EL3 = EL5).

Or have I missed the plot :)

ddougan

First Post
ddougan said:
Or have I missed the plot :)

Looks like I did miss the plot :)

"This calculation does not work, however, with creatures whose CR is 1 or less".

Now how do I break it to my players that they owe me a couple of hundred EPs :)

S'mon

Legend
ddougan said:
Looks like I did miss the plot :)

"This calculation does not work, however, with creatures whose CR is 1 or less".

Now how do I break it to my players that they owe me a couple of hundred EPs :)

Don't feel bad - Monte contradicts himself on the same page 167 (at least in 3.0)

"ELs of 2 or lower are the exception. They increase and decrease in proportion to the change in XP. For example, an encounter that's normally EL1 but that's twice as tough as normal is EL2, not EL3"

Fair enough, but he then says:

"If two orcs are an EL 1 encounter, four orcs EL 3, eight orcs EL 5..." :rolleyes:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads