Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells

Weeble

First Post
Re: Re: Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells"

Caliban said:

If he can somehow become invisible after "charging" his familiar.

If you have a touch spell active, it's discharged if you cast another spell, and I believe the act of casting the touch spell would cause you to become visible.

Other than casting the invisibility spell himself, I see.

This seems to be one of those "not completely black and white" areas. In the spell description, it mentions a direct attack as the only way to loose the invisibility. Casting a touch attack on your familiar isn't direct, but I could see the argument that when the familiar attacks, it's by the caster's command, thus loosing the invisibility. This seems rather indirect to me though. Does anyone know of a ruling, or does the spell imply enough to rule this one out?

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells"

Weeble said:
Does anyone know of a ruling, or does the spell imply enough to rule this one out?

I don't know of an official ruling, but it implies enough for me, though I still like IceBear's rope idea. :D

Magic Rub

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells"

Weeble said:
Other than casting the invisibility spell himself, I see.

This seems to be one of those "not completely black and white" areas. In the spell description, it mentions a direct attack as the only way to loose the invisibility. Casting a touch attack on your familiar isn't direct, but I could see the argument that when the familiar attacks, it's by the caster's command, thus loosing the invisibility. This seems rather indirect to me though. Does anyone know of a ruling, or does the spell imply enough to rule this one out?

Your not casting the spell on your familiar, but through.

Touch: If the master is 3rd level or higher, the familiar can deliver touch spells for the master. When the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the "toucher." (The master and the familiar have to be in contact at the time of casting.) The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As normal, if the master casts another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Weeble

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells"

kreynolds said:

I don't know of an official ruling, but it implies enough for me, though I still like IceBear's rope idea. :D

heck yeah, maybe I would house rule it to see how my PCs handle this.

Another question about the spell; it sais that all gear is also made invisible, but does not mention living things. Does the familiar become invisible with the caster.

Actually, one more thing. How is a summoned monster who attacks at the will of the caster any different than a familiar that does? Is it just the touch attack spell? Yeah, I guess so.

Weeble

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells"

Magic Rub said:

Your not casting the spell on your familiar, but through.

Touch: If the master is 3rd level or higher, the familiar can deliver touch spells for the master. When the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the "toucher." (The master and the familiar have to be in contact at the time of casting.) The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As normal, if the master casts another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Yeah, that's good enough for me.

Gromm

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Invisible w/Familiar and Touch Spells"

Weeble said:

Another question about the spell; it sais that all gear is also made invisible, but does not mention living things. Does the familiar become invisible with the caster.

He does if the familiar is touching him and he uses the shared spell ability.
I could really go either way on it, but as a mage I wouldn't want my familiar sitting next to anything after it attacked them. Most foes can take down a familiar pretty easily. Its one of those neat things that would probably work at least once. Besides, who said you had to be within sight range when it happened? Makes the whole point rather moot in some ways.
Still a hasted familiar that could turn invisible on its own could be pretty effective at this in any respect.

Remove ads