• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Master list of OGC substitutes for WotC IP monsters

Remathilis

Legend
The Book of Forbidden Lore is not listed, obviously.

Good call. it IS forbidden, after all. :)

I've considered revising it in the times to come. When I did the conversion, I was still pretty new to Pathfinder. I'm sure after a few years, it could stand a bit of a nip/tuck. If I get around to it, I'll let you know.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
Planescape

Cranium Rats

Brain Rat
(ToHR, ToHC)—An intelligent rat with psionic powers. Sadly, it's more concerned with attacking and eating anything that moves rather than, you know, building a culture. They don't gather in swarms that become more psychic with increasing size, unless the GM adds that manually.

Daemons/Yugoloths

Daemons (Horsemen of the Apocalypse)
(PFB2, PFB3, ToHC)—The daemons of Abaddon are manifestations of death and nihilism that seek to unmake all of reality, lead by the four (five?) Horsemen of the Apocalypse. A few of the yugoloths were published as daemons in the ToH with WotC's permission, including Anthraxus and Charon, and were later refluffed as part the daemon line-up. Otherwise, these daemons have nothing in common with the Yugoloths.

Daemons (Hordes of Gehenna) (BoF)—The daemons of Gehenna, lead by the Seven Exarchs (each representing one of the seven sins), are purveyors of vice who exalt the cause of evil for its own sake regardless of law or chaos. While they often work as mercenaries in the countless wars between the demons and devils, this is just a small part of their larger portfolio. The names/statistics/concept of the daemons are OGC. The names and descriptions of the seven Exarchs are closed content, but the general concept (Exarchs as the equivalent of Demon Lords and Archdevils, each representing one of the seven sins) isn't and originates in the 15th century Peter Binfield's Classification of Demons. The chapter describing the plane of Gehenna is closed content, but the general concept isn't (its seven circles for each sin, an evil version of Dante's Purgatorio). To avoid confusion with the separate Pathfinder daemons (see above), it is suggested to rename them to "deodands" (contrast with demodands) or some other name.

Daemons and other Neutral Evil fiends (Scarred Lands) (CC2, CC3, SLLTotSL)—Malevolent and self-serving outsiders native to evil-aligned planes. Varieties include Assassin Daemon, Beguiling Merchant Daemon, Belsameth's Watchman Daemon, Darkmoon Slayer, Despair, Dread Child Daemon, Dweller at the Crossroads, Eyethief Daemon, Garamond, Grisly Minstrel Daemon, Iron Devil, Jade Empress Daemon, Mantis Spider Daemon, Moon Daemon, Moon Giant, Plague Angel Daemon, and Pride Daemon. The names are closed content.

Blightdaemon (BoBWM1)—A daemon of disease that leaves a trail of death in its path.

Erotodaemon (CW1, MoP)—A succubus-like daemon that looks like a beautiful woman with two torsos (one growing from the neck of the other) that provides four arms total. Originally appeared in CW1 as the "erodaemon" (closed content name) and renamed to "erotodaemon" in MoP.

Elementals/Para-Elementals/Quasi-Elementals

Elementals
and Quasi-Elementals (PFB2, SGtE, ToHC, ToH4)—Elementals formed by the interaction of multiple elements and sometimes positive or negative energy, often found at the borders of the elemental planes and possibly native to elemental demiplanes. Varieties include Acid, Ash, Dust, Ice, Lightning, Magma, Mineral, Mud, Obsidian, Radiance, Salt, Smoke, Steam, and Vacuum.

Chinese Elementals (ToH4, SGtE)—Two special elementals based on the Chinese elements of Metal and Wood.

Combination creatures (PFB1, SGtE, ToHC, ToH4)—Miscellaneous elemental creatures composed of multiple elements found at the borders of the elemental planes, possibly native to elemental demiplanes. Varieties include Heat Swarm, Ice Salamander, Ice Shard, Mudman, Niln, Smoke-Ghost, Thoqqua, and Tumblespark.

Mephits (PFB1, ToHC)—Imp-like outsiders native to the elemental planes. Varieties include Air, Dust, Earth, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Magma, Ooze, Salt, Smoke, Steam, and Water.

Weirds (ToHC, ToH4)—Elemental creatures. Varieties include Acid, Air, Blood, Earth, Fire, Frost, Fungus, Lava, Lightning, Magma, Mud, Ooze, Smoke, and Water.

Modrons
Note: Similarly to celestial and fiend, the generic term for a lawful neutral-aligned outsider is Axiom. The outsiders presented below are races within that category.

Axiomites
(PFB2)—Elf-like outsiders dedicated to order. All perfect and awesome and annoying conceited.

Azroi (CPBOP)—Outsiders that inhabit and guard the afterlife, recruiting from the ranks of the unclaimed dead.

Formians (SRD, FF, PFB4)—Intelligent, psionic expansionist ant-people.

Inevitables (SRD, PFB2, CPBOP)—Magical robots that enforce justice and order. Varieties include Arbiter, Jarut, Kolyarut, Lhaksharut, Marut, and Zelekhut.

Planetouched

Ifrit
, Oread, Sylph, and Undine; known collectively as Genai (ARG, ACSG)—The descendants of mortals and elemental outsiders. Equivalent to Genasi.

Warpling and Maxim (LINK)—The descendants of mortals and chaotic neutral or lawful neutral outsiders. Equivalent to Axani, Cansin, Chaond and Zenythri.

Rilmani
Note: Similarly to celestial and fiend, the generic term for a true neutral-aligned outsider is Equilibrant. The outsiders presented below are races within that category.

Aeons
(PFB2)—True neutral outsiders that serve the cause of balancing the universe between extremes of law/chaos and good/evil.

Spelljammer

Neogi

Formian (PFB4)—Giant, antlike interplanetary expansionists with an alien hive intelligence. Travel using sub-light speed asteroids loaded with stasis pods.

Leng Spider (PFB2)—Giant spiders that war with the Denizens of Leng. They are egotistical and suffer other races only as magically controlled slaves.

Ravin (A&FStT)—Tick-like aliens that live in a hive-based society. Possess functional spaceships.

Slassan (AE)—Horrible amalgams of spider and serpent haunting the shadows, the legacy of a now-dead race that personified evil. The name is closed content; suggested open content name: Tlak'kahn.

Eberron

Daelkyr/Grafts/Symbionts

Vallorian
(LotDB, LA)—These "fleshsmiths" rule an underground empire and specialize in the use of engineered living weapons and armor. Web Enhancements: #1, #2, #3.http://www.rpgnow.com/product/84233/The-Living-Airship-PFRPG

Chaositech, Symbiotes (MCC)—Various forms of symbtioic items, such as implants, replacements and grafts.

Kalashtar/Quori

Muse
(RRPtA)—A divinely-inspired race from the Plane of Dreams.

Qael (TMU)—Outsiders formed from the substance of dreams, they seek to rule the dream world and feed on the energies of dreamers.

Shifters/Weretouched

Wereblooded
(BMW)—The scions of natural lycanthropes and humanoids.

Warforged

Ironborn
(ItCoM)—A race of constructed humanoids, providing custom designed trait packages.

Gearforged (AR3)—Living constructs: metal forms with mortal souls.

Mannikins (MRWE)—Intelligent, self-replicating humanoid constructs.

Mechanus (CM)—Intelligent clockwork steampunk robots.

Relluk (RRPtA)—A race of living stone created as guardians that now live independently.

Stonegrunt (MRCRC)—A race brought to life from stone by the dwarves.

Miscellaneous

Adu'ja/Volodni (Plant Races)

Oakling (RRPtA)—Unusual plant race related to treants.

Tremen (MRCRC)—Intelligent mobile plants resembling trees.

Bullywug

Boggard
(PFB1)—Evil frog men.

Mahkim (MRWE)—Four-armed frog men.

Mogogol (RRPtA)—Non-evil offshoot of the boggard.

Tsathar (ToHR, ToHC)—Frog people that lay eggs inside victims that later hatch and eat their way out. Worship Tsathoggua.

Death Knight

Demonic Knight
(ToHR, ToHC)—An order of abyssal knights created by the Demon Prince Orcus.

Graveknight (PFB3)—The martial equivalent to the Lich, born of tyrants and warriors too evil to rest in peace.

Deathless/Deathtouched/Half-Undead

Dhampir (ARG)—Half-human/half-vampire.

Eleti (MRCRC)—Intelligent skeletons.

Obitu (RRPtA)—Magical creatures with undead origins.

Restless Soul (ItCoM)—Option for a player character that has returned from the grave as a restless undead.

Revenant (LV)—A customizable vampire race and associated classes.

Kercpa/Nezumi/Ratmen

Nezumi
(REGtR)—Medium-sized, rodent-like humanoids with an oriental feel.

Ratfolk (ARG, PFB3, REGtR)—Small, rodent-like humanoids.

Ratling (REGtR)—Small-sized rat-like humanoids with furred prehensile tails. Similar to Kercpa.

Ratmen (CCR, CC3, VWWotR)—Medium-sized rat people created from rats that fed on the flesh of fallen titans. In addition to the "common" variety, come in several breeds that best suit certain classes. The name is closed content; suggested open content name: The Slaughtering Rat People.

Myconid

Fungus Man
(ToH4)—Humanoid mushrooms with an intelligent society.

T'kel

Quissian (MRCRC)—Reptilian warrior race.

Wemics

The Proud
(CCR)—Tribal lion-centaurs. The name is closed content; suggested open content name: Leotaur (plural Leotauroi).

Manticora (CCR)—Leonine humanoids with shark teeth. The name is closed content; suggested open content name: Martichora.

Sagittary by David Fryer. A good set of 3E rules for an OGL liontaur set in the Pathfinder game (also good for D&D 3.5).

~~~

Good call. it IS forbidden, after all. :)

I've considered revising it in the times to come. When I did the conversion, I was still pretty new to Pathfinder. I'm sure after a few years, it could stand a bit of a nip/tuck. If I get around to it, I'll let you know.
Incidentally, BoFL uses the version of the halfblood where the snake-head and snake-skin are mandatory as opposed to one of several possible mutations. One thing most of the yuan-ti substitutes miss is the hybrid freak part (which 4e has dispensed with completely, btw). Although, the inphidians have snake hands rather than whole arm replacement and the bleak mamba is rather creative in that it has just one arm replaced by a boa constrictor. Of course you could always play a son of Tsathoggua.

Last edited:

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I've added loads more to the list. It's become unwieldy so I've had to split it across multiple posts. Comments welcome.

~~~

Non-PHB Classes

Warlock (Complete Arcane)
  • Invoker base class, The Invoker by Red Goblin Games--Close enough, but not limited to demonic origins.
  • Warlock base class, Into the Breach: The Oracle by Flying Pincushion Games--close enough.
  • Ethermancer base class, Ultimate Ethermagic by Interjection Games--eldritch blast expanded into its own magic system.

Archivist (Heroes of Horror)
  • Theurge base class, New Paths Compendium by Kobold Press--Not a direct conversion, but takes the concept of learning spells from other lists to extremes by combining it with the mystic theurge. The end result is a wizard-like dual-casting class that can learn virtually any spell in the game assuming they can find a spellbook or scroll to copy.
  • Inquisitor base class, Advanced Players Guide by Paizo--Not directly related, but explores the concept of a divine monster hunter.
  • Magister base class, Genius Guide to the Magister by Super Genius Games--Not a direct conversion, but allows the player to cast both divine and arcane spells and mix and match class features from different casting classes. Casts spells spontaneously.

Mystic (Dragonlance Campaign Setting)
  • Oracle base class, Advanced Players Guide by Paizo--Not directly related, but uses a similar concept. Essentially to the cleric what the sorcerer is to the wizard.

Last edited:

Whoa.

I knew some people had expanded on the phrenic scourge, but I had no idea just how much. I'm kinda flattered. :eek:

(Yes, this comment serves no purpose but to bask. Cut me a break; the Iconic Bestiary was a piddly little PDF I put out, but I'm really very proud of it. I'm glad it actually made an impact on some people. :) )

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
Whoa.

I knew some people had expanded on the phrenic scourge, but I had no idea just how much. I'm kinda flattered. :eek:

(Yes, this comment serves no purpose but to bask. Cut me a break; the Iconic Bestiary was a piddly little PDF I put out, but I'm really very proud of it. I'm glad it actually made an impact on some people. :) )

It's great to hear your response after all these years. Of all the various substitutes, yours hold a special place in my heart, mostly because you put them all in one place for convenience.

I have two questions about that, if you'll oblige me:

1) Did you ever plan to write substitutes for the Gauth, Githyanki, Githzerai, Kuo-Toa and Thri-Kreen? They were present in the MM and XPH, but not the SRD and Iconic Bestiary never covered them.

2) If you were converting the Phrenic Scourge to the psionics rules, would you just replace the psionics with appropriate psi-like abilities or give it full-blown psion manifesting ability like the Mind Flayer in the XPH?

1) Did you ever plan to write substitutes for the Gauth, Githyanki, Githzerai, Kuo-Toa and Thri-Kreen? They were present in the MM and XPH, but not the SRD and Iconic Bestiary never covered them.

I had no plans for the gauth or thri-kreen, but I was working on a "More Classics of Fantasy" that would've included alternates for the githyanki and githzerai, the kuo-toa, the grell, the shadow dragon, the water weird, the death knight, and the ixitxachitl. I was just finishing up the rough draft when 4e was announced. :3

2) If you were converting the Phrenic Scourge to the psionics rules, would you just replace the psionics with appropriate psi-like abilities or give it full-blown psion manifesting ability like the Mind Flayer in the XPH?

Hrm. I don't recall what the full psionic mind flayer looked like, so I can't say for sure, but... my instinct is to say, go "direct swap" for your "average" scourge, and full-on manifester for more potent members of the rac.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I had no plans for the gauth or thri-kreen, but I was working on a "More Classics of Fantasy" that would've included alternates for the githyanki and githzerai, the kuo-toa, the grell, the shadow dragon, the water weird, the death knight, and the ixitxachitl. I was just finishing up the rough draft when 4e was announced. :3
There’s always Pathfinder. In any case, if you don’t have the time or inclination, I’d be glad to follow up on this idea myself.

Hrm. I don't recall what the full psionic mind flayer looked like, so I can't say for sure, but... my instinct is to say, go "direct swap" for your "average" scourge, and full-on manifester for more potent members of the rac.
The XPH mindflayer had the same statistics as the MM version, except that the spell-like abilities were replaced with "manifests powers as a 9th-level psion." Does that change your mind?

Starfox

Hero
On Beholders

There are two places the beholder's eye rays cannot reach; the underbelly and inside the mouth. I have used both in stunt-friendly games.

I've been sorely tempted to make a write up for a whole family of "floating fungus" monsters, including the gas spore and beholder, making them all fungoid and their basic motivation to fertilize the mycelium with fresh corpses (of course, the more intelligent ones have the potential for more subtle personal motivations). But I am not really in this monster creation game, so I've stayed out of it, so far. The gas spore would then not just look like a beholder, it would actually be related to it; perhaps beholders start out as gas spores that over-mature, perhaps there is some other link. Because so much of a fungus is the mycelium, the actual fruit bodies (what do you call the visible part of a fungus in English) is just a small addendum.

Remove ads