D&D 5E Material Components: How Hard to Find in Your Games?

evilbob

Explorer
I haven't read any responses and I see we've got at least one super-long line-by-line response which indicates a complex and likely heated argument already, so I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents: we completely ignore material components, except when they require items that cost money, in which case we treat it as a 1-to-1 gold cost. So if it takes a 1000gp diamond, then if you have 1000gp, you cast the spell. And even this exception is more of a "what I would rule if this happened" thing since it literally never comes up, as no one ever uses spells that cost money (they have a few cleric ones for emergencies, they've just never come up).

In context, we hand-wave basically anything that is even remotely pedantic, or really most things that are not pertinent to the story. To each their own, of course.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Spell-casting foci are boring, spell components are fun. I'd have them gather even mundane items, but I wouldn't tally bits of web, apple tarts, feathers, etc. I think it helps them slip in to the role of a spell-caster. As far as higher gp items like gems, I think it's fair to relay whether a particular gem is valuable enough to be used as a component, maybe it's a little less or a little more, but I wouldn't nit-pick concerning that.

Besides, you can easily confiscate them when they're captured. Sure, some spells don't need material components, but that's what gags, blindfolds, and restraints are for.

I guess you haven't played with many sorcerers have you?

The material components are just Dad Jokes. Bad ones, in the best way. :heh:

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, what is a Dad Joke?

jgsugden

Legend
Generally, by the time you need to find these rare valuable components, you'll have developed an outlet to get them.

Also, I'd allow the vial of blood to be replaced with an implement.. no GP cost, no restriction on replacing with an implement.

Remove ads