• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Matrix Reloaded: Restaurant Scene

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ashrem Bayle said:
I think I'll just call him "Cool Breeze" from now on. ;)

Seriously though, I had no idea his father was a template creature. :D

Actually Cool Breeze is a more accurate translation of the name Ke anu (lit. The Cool/cold (breeze)) the mountain bit is just poetic licence...

kengar

First Post
mojo1701 said:
Even though he was born in Lebanon, right?

Don't quote me on that if I'm wrong, but I read that on the DVD for The Matrix.

IMDB lists his birthplace as Beirut, Lebanon

(guess he can't be president! ;))

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
dravot said:
Are his parents US citizens? If so, then Keanu can be president all he wants. :)

Not to hijack the thread, but that's not true.

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States."

You have to be 35 years old, born in the country (not abroad) to legal residents of the US (or citizens). The only exceptions to that are:

1) You were alive when the Constitution was ratified (1789) and a citizen but not "natural born" (within US borders). Which is why the founding fathers who were born in Europe could be presidents.

2) You are born on "US soil" abroad i.e. an embassy, or a military base (other than in the UK or Japan).

If you personally aren't *physically* born in the US, you are not "natural born." and therefore don't qualify. This is as the above has been explained to me by more than one lawyer.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
kengar said:
If you personally aren't *physically* born in the US, you are not "natural born." and therefore don't qualify. This is as the above has been explained to me by more than one lawyer.
So if, say, your parents were studying/working in a foreign country or
something when you were born, you're not eligable for US predency? :eek:

kengar

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
So if, say, your parents were studying/working in a foreign country or
something when you were born, you're not eligable for US predency? :eek:

Correct.

For instance, a co-worker of mine was born to US "natural born" citizen parents while they were living in England. She cannot be president.

EDIT: It's amusing to me that there are actually some Republicans in the House & Senate who are (tentatively) trying to figure out a way around these rules so that "Governor Ah-nuld" can one day run for the White House. It would require a Constitutional Amendment, however.

Last edited:

dravot

First Post
kengar said:

You have to be 35 years old, born in the country (not abroad) to legal residents of the US (or citizens). The only exceptions to that are:

1) You were alive when the Constitution was ratified (1789) and a citizen but not "natural born" (within US borders). Which is why the founding fathers who were born in Europe could be presidents.

2) You are born on "US soil" abroad i.e. an embassy, or a military base (other than in the UK or Japan).
Why not in UK or Japan? Are there special treaties?

I didn't realize there was a difference. Interesting, and thank you for the info!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
kengar said:
Correct.

For instance, a co-worker of mine was born to US "natural born" citizen parents while they were living in England. She cannot be president.
I can see that functioning in the world of the 1700s, but
in today's international society, that's kinda lame.

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
dravot, yes as I understand it, in the UK & Japan military bases are not considered US soil. That is apparently an exception -rather than the rule- internationally.

VB, well -back in the old days- I expect that the founding fathers were concerned about someone immigrating to the then-fledgling nation, getting elected, then "betraying" the US to their mother country. I agree it's a bit old-fashioned, but there you have it. A lot of the Constitution is a product of the times it was written in.

Last edited:

Farganger

First Post
kengar said:

Not that any of them did . . . Alexander Hamilton was born in the West Indies but never became President. The Founders who did were all born in the American Colonies.

Interesting off-topic discussion: as I recall the Federalist had some pretty good contemporary arguments on why the Framers came up with the special rule for Presidents. The reasoning was derived not just from 18th century concerns but from lesson drawn from Classical antiquity (contrasting the Roman Republic, for instance, when top executive offices like Consul were restricted to native Romans with the later Empire when foreign-born Emperors became commonplace.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads