• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mats

Endur

First Post
I prefer an easel pad with a one inch grid. I can use any marker I want and either save or throw away the battle map as necessary. More importantlly, I can draw out several encounters ahead of time. (The Fantastic Locations series battlemaps are even better if they fit your story).

I have a complete map of the Caves of Chaos and the Keep on the Borderlands rolled up in a corner somewhere (bigger than my living room when all laid out).

kenobi65

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
I am always intrigued as to why people go for the Chessex mats over the Crystal Caste ones. When I got mine about 5 years ago I found the Crystal Caste mats to be much better value for money. They are double-sided (hex and squares) and (at the time) cost about the same price as a single-sided Chessex mat.

Because:

a) I have no use for a hex grid mat
b) I like the texture of the Chessex vinyl better
c) The Crystal Caste mats waste the inch or so along the border with that decorative edge
c) My first Chessex battlemat (bought at GenCon 1983) is still going, and I like to show some brand loyalty to a company that makes that good of a product.

I nearly had an accident with my battlemat last night. One of my players started drawing on the mat with the dry-erase marker that I use for my whiteboard by mistake. Luckily I managed to notice straight away and was able to wipe the lines off before they set.

Olaf the Stout

kenobi65

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
I nearly had an accident with my battlemat last night. One of my players started drawing on the mat with the dry-erase marker that I use for my whiteboard by mistake. Luckily I managed to notice straight away and was able to wipe the lines off before they set.

I have heard (though have yet to have need to test this out) that, if you get a stain on a battlemat (like with a dry-erase), if you draw on top of it with a wet-erase marker, then clean it off, the solvent in the wet-erase can help the stain come off.

Meloncov

First Post
kenobi65 said:
I have heard (though have yet to have need to test this out) that, if you get a stain on a battlemat (like with a dry-erase), if you draw on top of it with a wet-erase marker, then clean it off, the solvent in the wet-erase can help the stain come off.

That has worked for me in the past.

I also had success with redrawing over the marks with a dry erase marker and then wiping it off straight away. I imagine that it is a similar effect to what the you have both done.

Olaf the Stout

Roadkill101

Explorer
I have two of Steel Sqwire's Flipmats. For the price of $10.00 apiece, and the versatility of using any marker on them, they can't be beat. I have noticed that permanant marker can require a little extra elbow grease to clean off, especially if left on for several months. One of the nicer things about owning two of them, is having one set up for outdoor use (hexes) and the other for indoor use (square grid). They are also very portable, with that fold up design.

Valesin

First Post
Garboshnik said:
I'll put in another word for the Steel Squire mats. Being able to use both wet and dry erase is awesome!

And yet another. Best mat ever. I was going to pick up 2-3 more at GenCon SoCal but they were not there. :( Draw a room with permanent marker, fold it up, whip it out when the party opens the door.

Glyfair

Explorer
Roadkill101 said:
I have two of Steel Sqwire's Flipmats. For the price of $10.00 apiece, and the versatility of using any marker on them, they can't be beat.

I have one, but haven't used it in actual play yet (we have several Chessex mat's including one that I've used since the early 80's that see our main use). The main issue I have with it is the creasing. I haven't been able to get it to lay flat at all, which is no problem with my Chessex mats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads