Matt Colville’s Strongholds and Followers

hawkeyefan

Legend
I've read through it, I think the rules will be quite usable by me but as my friends and I don't play very often, I'm not sure if I will be able to incorporate the systems into a game.

I also quite like his writing style, I'm not too worried that he doesn't stick 100% to the language in the official 5e books (opportunity attack vs attack of opportunity? who cares, means the same thing). The foot notes are an interesting touch that I've also quite enjoyed reading.

I agree about the style and the footnotes. Very readable.

I mentioned the "attacks of opportunity" as an example of using the standardized language of an edition. Yes, you're right that they mean the same thing. But there could be examples where not using the standardized language could make things unclear. I don't recall seeing any such examples so far, but I've only skimmed the book.

TallIan

Explorer
I mentioned the "attacks of opportunity" as an example of using the standardized language of an edition. Yes, you're right that they mean the same thing. But there could be examples where not using the standardized language could make things unclear. I don't recall seeing any such examples so far, but I've only skimmed the book.

For me it is more an issue of professionalism. If I pay market price for a book I expect it to be properly edited for consistency. I only backed the pdf, even though I was tempted to get the actual book. If these sort of things are taken care of, I'd happily get the book. If not I'll stick with the pdf

That being said, this is still an early release and from a quick look at the Reddit feedback document, these things are being dealt with.

Version 1.1 has just been released based on feedback from people who bought the PDF. Some might disagree but I feel it appropriate to give Matt and the team some major kudos for delaying the hard copy book until the wrinkles have been ironed out.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Version 1.1 has just been released based on feedback from people who bought the PDF. Some might disagree but I feel it appropriate to give Matt and the team some major kudos for delaying the hard copy book until the wrinkles have been ironed out.

What changes have they made, if you've had a chance to look?

I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward purchasing eventually.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
What changes have they made, if you've had a chance to look?

I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward purchasing eventually.

It's mostly clarifications and typo fixes. Some of it is formatting of monster stat blocks and language to be more like that of 5e.

doctorbadwolf

It's mostly clarifications and typo fixes. Some of it is formatting of monster stat blocks and language to be more like that of 5e.

Ok, thanks!

My main issue with the book is that there are, I gather, implied and real restrictions to the usefulness of certain types of structures for certain classes, and I just don’t agree with that at all. I think I need to just find someone who owns it, and read it, before I can decide. Or wait till someone posts a really detailed review.

Still, the fact he made the language more in line with 5e’s language helps.

Ok, thanks!

My main issue with the book is that there are, I gather, implied and real restrictions to the usefulness of certain types of structures for certain classes, and I just don’t agree with that at all. I think I need to just find someone who owns it, and read it, before I can decide. Or wait till someone posts a really detailed review.

Still, the fact he made the language more in line with 5e’s language helps.

Sure, for optimization reasons, a particular class may want a particular stronghold, but there is no real restriction. Here's what the book says on this:

[SECTION]There are four types of basic stronghold, one complex
stronghold, and many varieties. Any character can
build or use any stronghold, although why a non-spellcasting
character might build a tower is an exercise left
to the reader. Maybe they have a spellcasting NPC ally![/SECTION]

doctorbadwolf

Sure, for optimization reasons, a particular class may want a particular stronghold, but there is no real restriction. Here's what the book says on this:

[SECTION]There are four types of basic stronghold, one complex
stronghold, and many varieties. Any character can
build or use any stronghold, although why a non-spellcasting
character might build a tower is an exercise left
to the reader. Maybe they have a spellcasting NPC ally![/SECTION]

The tower does stand out as something that few non casters would have use for. Can it’s bonuses be applied to invention and alchemy without too much work?

The tower does stand out as something that few non casters would have use for. Can it’s bonuses be applied to invention and alchemy without too much work?

The research bonuses of the tower apply to spells, but I can see how they could be tweaked to apply to the creation/modification of potions or other magic items that have spell-like abilities.

doctorbadwolf

The research bonuses of the tower apply to spells, but I can see how they could be tweaked to apply to the creation/modification of potions or other magic items that have spell-like abilities.

It's about inventing or learning new spells, right? Could probably tweak it to work for magic item crafting, and through that run all special item crafting like magic item crafting, mechanically.

Hmmm...I'll have to talk to the other main DM in my group, and see what he thinks.

Remove ads