• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mature] Rat Bastard DMing with a Doppleganger

Michael Morris

First Post
Mature flag assigned since this delves a little into the dark side of love...

Last session the party confronted their former member, Demetri. The party rogue, Samara, is still intensely loyal to him, going so far as to shoot at other party members who attacked him despite him attacking her twice, once quite directly (making her the one and only target of a fireball).

I've decided to backchange the script to make the being they fought a doppleganger. Having a mandate to destroy the party from Triel the creatue isn't giving up, and it's decided after consulting with Triel to try to infiltrate the party and use Samara's love for Demetri as leverage to attack them.

The real Demetri is still alive and imprisoned by Triel while the lord figures out what to do with his soft hearted disobedient apprentice. In an effort to show a little deity intervention he'll begin to haunt her dreams at night - this will be the strongest clue the party, or more specifically Samara will get that something is amiss.

I can't wait to see the look on the player's face when she figures out she was intimate with a doppleganger (the players are, if not initimate, very close to it the way they pet around - the characters are known to be *close* - though how close the game hasn't touched on. The moment of betrayal would most likely be when she is most vulnerable, and I don't think too many guesses are required to figure out when that is.

Any ideas on this plot arc from the peanut gallery?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
well i know this is used alot, but the doplganger (after they find out that it is one) could be in love with Triel, (shown by turning into Trel and tuching himself maybe? :uhoh: ) but you have a few options

the pc's could kill the doplganger.

the pc's could turn the doplgangers love for Triel against him becuse they convince the doplganger that Triel is really in love with Demetri and lets it slip to Trel. This would probably come about if the doplanger escapes and on returning finds trel and demetri or just trel saying something or doing something. or maybe the doplganger fakes being demetri to find out if its true.

then the doplganger helps the party.

you have alot of options and really could change depending on what happens to the doplanger

you could be really mean hand have Demetri and Trel be brothers (not lovers) and the doplganger was used so the girl charicter never found out they were up to no good together to take over the world? or something like that.

i alwasye love a good twist followed by a reversal

Pbartender

First Post
Spoony Bard said:
I can't wait to see the look on the player's face when she figures out she was intimate with a doppleganger...

How long has it been since?

And how long has it been since Demitri was "captured" by Triel?

Have you considered having a bastard child with the doppelganger bloodline show up? It might be something to keep in mind for later.

Remathilis

Legend
Well, I'm not nearly as RBDM on this, since my changling assassin is only going to impersonate the PC, kill his sister, frame the crime on the PC, oh and sleep with the PC's devoted love (an NPC, oh yeah, the changling naturally female) in order to ruin the PC's aspiring political carrier.

Well... maybe I am.

Michael Morris

First Post
How fast can a doppleganger change? I was thinking of using this line of description at the moment of truth. They're kissing, petting, carrying on - she is looking straight into his eyes as he begins to say some decidedly mean things to her. Once she smacks him he starts laughing and I'll say to the player, "He laughs at you, then reflexively you blink -- and you are looking at yourself. You are laughing at yourself. The false you says, "Now Samara, it is time to die."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads