D&D 5E Max AC/defense by level 10?

mellored

Legend
Let me start by say I have a life cleric, moon druid (with mobile), and warlock.
Thunder Gauntlets forcing your target to have disadvantage only applies on a hit. 2 attacks greatly increases your chances of causing that effect.
I agree multi attack is better than booming blade.
But as you say, it's more complicated.
It's also not like the Armorer 5 can't use his level 1 slots for something else.
Sure. But wizard has 2 more slots and more total spells. Including rituals.
I love +4 saves from war mage, but at the end of the day I'm seeing a very reaction dependent PC. Shield, Absorb Elements, Silvery Barbs, OA's, Flash of Genius. These are all mutually exclusive options.
They also apply to different situations. But yes, it's a little bit overload on reaction.
Any elemental damage saves you likely already have a better option in absorb elements. Flash of Genius can have the same effect once you are sufficiently leveled in artificer (just 2 levels later than the warmage).
Absorb Elements and flash of genius are limited in use.
Each time I use war mage to save against a fireball, I have a cure wound left over. Or can help an ally with their save.

if your days are short, then it make less of a difference. But with life cleric and Armorer, enemies don't die very fast, so I don't think flash of genius would last.
I find having 2-3 casters that can use effective control spells in conjunction with each other is really strong.
Command +silvery barbs is really strong. And druid has web.

If I had another wizard, then I would stick with straight Artificer. You don't need 2 unseen servant.
I've always felt going from 2 to 3 infusions was a big deal, even if it just meant giving an ally a magic weapon with it
Boots of the winding path could be great with some builds. And a magic weapon could be important for a fighter in the wrong campaign. And you could always make a bag of holding.

But most of the time it's just +1. Not a dead level, but not as good as warmage.
Perhaps a suggestion then. What if you just dipped 1 level of wizard at character level 4.
IMO, Wizard 1 and 2 give me more than Artificer 4, 5, 6, or 8.

Artificer 7, 9, 10 and 11 are pretty great, but come later.

So by my count, I'm better for more of the game this way.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Let me start by say I have a life cleric, moon druid (with mobile), and warlock.

I agree multi attack is better than booming blade.
But as you say, it's more complicated.

Sure. But wizard has 2 more slots and more total spells. Including rituals.

They also apply to different situations. But yes, it's a little bit overload on reaction.

Absorb Elements and flash of genius are limited in use.
Each time I use war mage to save against a fireball, I have a cure wound left over. Or can help an ally with their save.

if your days are short, then it make less of a difference. But with life cleric and Armorer, enemies don't die very fast, so I don't think flash of genius would last.

Command +silvery barbs is really strong. And druid has web.

If I had another wizard, then I would stick with straight Artificer. You don't need 2 unseen servant.

Boots of the winding path could be great with some builds. And a magic weapon could be important for a fighter in the wrong campaign. And you could always make a bag of holding.

But most of the time it's just +1. Not a dead level, but not as good as warmage.

IMO, Wizard 1 and 2 give me more than Artificer 4, 5, 6, or 8.

Artificer 7, 9, 10 and 11 are pretty great, but come later.

So by my count, I'm better for more of the game this way.
We agree on a lot. I’ll post more in depth later (on phone now). I can understand your points though I still may disagree a bit. However, I think things may be closer than I initially gave credit for.

I’d like to take a closer look at levels 5,6 and 8 later. We agree on the others I think.

mellored

Legend
However, I think things may be closer than I initially gave credit for.
Yea. There are certainly parties i would go straight Artificer for.
Took me a while to decide.
I’d like to take a closer look at levels 5,6 and 8 later.
If I could rearrange levels, I would go in this order.

Artificer 1 (including saves).
Artificer 3
Artificer 7
Artificer 11 (though not getting there)
Artificer 10
Artificer 9
Wizard 2
Wizard 1
Artificer 2
Artificer 5
Artificer 4 / 8.
Artificer 6

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yea. There are certainly parties i would go straight Artificer for.
Took me a while to decide.

Tackling level 8 Armorer vs level 6 Armorer / 2 War Wizard first.

I just realized the 6 Armorer / 2 War Wizard will have level 3 slots and the level 8 Armorer will not. Add in find familiar, silvery barbs, shield spell, int to initiative bonus and the at-will +4 saves reaction and I've changed my mind. A feat/ASI and Flash of Genius - an ability I love just isn't enough to compete with all that. I had previously said the war wizard version was better and it is, but it's quite a bit better than i first realized.

That leaves level 5/6 Armorer to level 3+2/4+2 Armorer/War Wizard

I'm lumping these together because a feat is about the same power level as a level 6 artificer infusion - which means we only really need to compare one of these. I'm going to do level 5 vs level 3/2.

The question really is - does a feat/ASI, extra attack and booming blade offset better uses of level 1 spells, booming blade, familiar, unseen servant (and the same number of spell slots, +3 to +4 initiative, and a save bonus. I don't think so. You are right here.

Remove ads