D&D 5E Max Army of Darkness, Necromancer Math

all, now I get it, I saw the "under your control" part and wasn't understanding, lol.

Yeah, 24 hours of control is plenty of time to make sure the 8000 skeletons get where they need to go to start destroying the right things. You can use that time to smash the city's defenses and crush its main army. A normal person would freak out about what the e.g. 5000 remaining skeletons are going to do after that and how you're going to prevent them from killing innocent people tomorrow when you lose control, but the BBEG just doesn't care since all he wants is revenge/power/blood.

Balfore

Explorer
New campaign starting this Saturday... I'm playing a Yaunti Necromancer.
This info is SOOOOO helpful!

My PC is friends with a Bard that rescued him from being auctioned.

We will be starting an organization of vengeance, and the bard will have handy spells. (Both focusing on Necromancy).

We plan to also take advantage of collecting Slaad stones as part of our army. (Using simulacrum wish spells to summon the stones to our hands).

Breaking DnD has never been so exciting 😆

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

How do you summon a mummy lord to help with the army?

You can't summon one, so you have basically three options:

(1) Find one in the wild (Pokemon-style) through normal adventuring; or

(2) Find some other CR 15+ creature, like a dragon, and defeat it without killing it (non-lethal damage or just heal it before it dies), and then True Polymorph it into a Mummy Lord. The effectiveness of this will depend on how your DM views the "permanent after one hour" clause of True Polymorph.

(3) Find out the name of an existing Mummy Lord of antiquity (research it, perhaps via Sage background) and then Plane Shift to another plane and then Gate the Mummy Lord to you.

In practice, I wouldn't count on actually getting a Mummy Lord. That's just theorycraft, and something to keep your eyes open for. (Kind of like a Staff of the Magi.) In practice, grab whatever powerful undead you can find: a Flameskull, a Dracolich, a Banshee... in a pinch, just grab one of your own wights created via Create Undead.

Keovar

AKA Thanatos from NKL/NTL days.
You have two 3rd level warlock slots. You cash them both in for 6 sorcery points with two bonus actions. Every time you accumulate 7 sorcery points, you turn them into a sorcerer spell slot with another bonus action. You can never have more than 9 sorcery points, but you can have as many 5th level sorcerer slots as you pay for.

But if you ever take a long rest, all those spell slots go away.
So the DM rules that storing excess spells for too long can start requiring concentration checks to hold it all, and exhaustion levels if it's pushed too hard. Maybe the coffeelock exploit works in a computer game, but in that case there's no one having their game prep rendered pointless or their character's role made redundant. It's a cute trick in theory, but expecting to use it with a human DM isn't.

Also, as much as I'd like it to work, I don't think the Demiplane trick is feasible, because a demiplane is only 30 ft by 30 ft. Sure, skeletons could be order to store themselves in stack, so that would hold 216 skeletons in each storageplane. But then, you'd have to unleash them on the unsuspecting city. And Demiplane can't be cast to open a door to ANY demiplane, so basically, even a high level wizard could only cast Demiplane twice a day, unleashing a measly 436 skeletons on the unsuspecting city from the comfort of his own inn room. Sure, it could cause devastation in a town of 5,000, but not seriously threaten a metropolis.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases