• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

May '08 What are you reading?

Croesus

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:
The World Without Us

I'm on my library's waiting list for this one - as I'm number 50 in line, I should get it in a year or two...

Meanwhile I just finished Invading Mexico by Joseph Wheelan. Excellent history of the Mexican American War 1846-1848.

Next up is Why Women Should Rule the World by Dee Dee Myers.

Psionicist

Explorer
I accidentally started reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. I wasn't supposed to read this until after I had read some non-fiction but the book tempted me and the books I'm "supposed" to read got delayed from amazon. I like it this far. Stephenson is by the way releasing a new book later this year, Anathem. I don't know much about it but I sure am looking forward to it. :)

Another book I'm waiting for is John Connolly's latest, I think it's called "The Reapers" and it will be released later this month. Ever sice I read Connolly's first book I've been a huge fan and I can highly recommend this author to anyone who likes dark and slightly supernatural thrillers (think Se7en). He has written non-thrilers too, I can especially recommend "The Book of Lost Things", a dark, Grimm-like fairy tale.

As for non fiction, I have a few books queued, one about neuroscience, another about geology and the third is some kind of military survival manual written by SAS that I ordered just for kicks (entered the wrong ISBN).

Pozatronic

First Post
Maps And Legends by Michael Chabon, which, incidentally, has the greatest dust jacket I've ever come across. It's non-fiction collecting his essays and what not from various sources. I'm enjoying it, although it's far from essential. Still, that dust jacket is a work of art.

I finished the Vandermeer's The New Weird anthology, which was rather wonderful. It's nice to have a name to the type of sub-genre I've been enjoying for the past few years, with a bunch of excellent (some not so excellent) short stories under one cover. Highly recommended.

Next up is Catherynne M. Valente's The Orphan's Tales: In The Night Garden. I read one of her short stories on Clarkesworld, and I got the second volume for free from the nice people at Bantam Spectra at the NY Comic-con. A bunch of artwork from Michael Kaluta adorns it, so I'm sure I'll be happy once I start it.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Moment of Truth In Iraq

The Writer's Journey

Poplollies and Bellibones (a book of obscure words, recommended by Monte "the Fane" Cook)

Psionicist

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
I've been in a non-fiction mood lately, I finally finished up The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression by Amity Shlaes. This month on deck I have . . .

and​

If you're interested in this topic, check out http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Great-Depression-Murray-Rothbard/dp/0945466056 This book was an enjoying read even for me (a non-american, otherwise not really interested in american history).

Voadam

Legend
The Grand History of the Realms

Happiness by the Harvard Professor whose name I forget.

There is paperback Darkover Anthology of short stories I'm half way through that I take along if I expect I have to wait for an appointment.

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold as my commute audio book, highly recommended.

And an audiobook on parenting for my MP3 lunch "reading" at work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads