• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

May '08 What are you reading?

bento

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
Aren't there eleven books in Burrough's Barsoom series?

Or do you mean Robinson's Mars trilogy?
I have the Barnes & Noble edition called "The Martial Tales Trilogy: A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, and The Warlord of Mars." Maybe that's what he's got?

I'm reading "Northwest of Earth" by C.L. Moore. Huzzah Planet Stories!

Pozatronic

First Post
bento said:
I'm reading "Northwest of Earth" by C.L. Moore. Huzzah Planet Stories!

How is that there "Northwest of Earth"? I have it on my wish list, but I can never seem to actually buy the thing. I want to support Planet Stories, but I'm always kind of so-so on the pulps.

bento

Explorer
Pozatronic said:
How is that there "Northwest of Earth"? I have it on my wish list, but I can never seem to actually buy the thing. I want to support Planet Stories, but I'm always kind of so-so on the pulps.
Honestly I'm about twenty pages into the first story. It goes rather quickly, but other reading (Pathfinder stuff mostly) keeps popping up, preventing me from being more devoted. ADHD I guess?

The book itself contans maybe a dozen short stories, each about 30 pages. The book I read before this was Gary Gygax's "Anubis Murders" who's chapters were about five to seven pages long, making for perfect bed-time reading.

CL Moore's prose isn't taxing, although she has an annoying habit of referring to a character over and over with the same title ("ex-star captain" or some such nonsense). I can see how people think of this character as a precursor to Han Solo - very much the rogue-ish contraband runner. I don't know if I'll be reading this book straight through, or come back from time to time as the mood hits me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
bento said:
I have the Barnes & Noble edition called "The Martial Tales Trilogy: A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, and The Warlord of Mars." Maybe that's what he's got?

Indeed. A great read so far. I can't believe that something written in 1912 still feels fresh. :cool:

Starman

Adventurer
Finished The Warrior Prophet and The Thousandfold Thought by R. Scott Bakker. I also read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Next up is either For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway or The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. I haven't decided yet.

Joker

First Post
I'm reading the Analogue Mountain. I don't know if that's the English title, it's originally a French book.

As far as I have read it's about a group of explorers that are trying to find the Analogue Mountain which is apparently the largest mountain on the planet but which hasn't been discovered yet. In theorie it's made of a material that deflects light and matter.

So far, it's a been a very interesting read and I'm eager to make some time to finish it it one sitting (it's quite a short book and unfinished).

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Starman said:
Finished The Warrior Prophet and The Thousandfold Thought by R. Scott Bakker. I also read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Next up is either For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway or The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. I haven't decided yet.

Your taste in books seems very similar to mine. What did you think of "The Road"? Did you know it will be released as a movie later this year?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads