May previews

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Kind of chintzy though that they gave us orcs in the art preview when the same picture in in the excerpt.

We probably need separate threads for the different things... it could get messy.

9th level minions with one hp. Blah.

Not really impressed by the whole "never takes damage on a miss" either. If I fireball the Minions, I expect to kill them, no save.

bert1000

First Post
Agreed. The trap format is fine but the trap examples themselves not so exciting. Basically 3 examples of trigger when you step somewhere and there is a "control panel" on the other side of the room to fiddle with.

I also hope the suggestion for a skill challenge for disarming a trap is not just mutiple thievery checks every time. I guess this could add tension to a trap that fires every round, but seems to water down the skill challenges folks have been imagining on the boards (not that we can't go there anyway).

Mort_Q

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
9th level minions with one hp. Blah.

They won't be alone.

Level 6 Encounter (XP 1,350)
:1: 1 orc eye of Gruumsh (level 5 controller)
:2: 2 orc berserkers (level 4 brute)
:3: 4 orc warriors (level 9 minion)
:4: 2 dire wolves (level 5 skirmisher)

FireLance

Legend
MaelStorm said:
I'm starting to like the Warlord's at-will powers very much! It seem to be fun to tell your allies who to strike :D
Commander's Strike: THE defining At-Will power for low-Strength, high-Intelligence warlords with a high-Strength, two-handed weapon wielding companion. ;)

Stalker0

Legend
Definately got our money's worth in this thread, lots of goodness.

First off, let me once again say monsters are so far my absolute favorite thing about 4e. Orcs look awesome, and definitely have the "we don't die" niche going on. We got to lots of new minions so I'm sure the number crunchers will get on that.

Warlord powers look solid. I can definitely see a battle brain type warlord with a high int just sitting back telling his friends to fight, but giving them a nice extra bonus in the process.

The traps are very interesting, though I'm a bit confused by them. The blade trap says it starts when someone activates it, but it also has initiative. The other traps specifically mention they are activated by something, but that they don't act until initiative. Further, how long does a skill challenge take with a trap? I will say that in general traps do a hefty amount of damage, you definitely want to deal with them quick.

The solo soul gem trap looks neat, except for the fact that failing your skill challenge against it results in it blowing up for...piddly damage. I would much rather take the hit once instead of that thing continuously firing for several rounds, its almost a blessing if I fail!!

Remove ads