• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

May Rules Update

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, and I wrote that precisely to give clerics some ranged capability!

I thought you wrote it to emulate the Archers of Diana (Sehanine by another name) and the Eastern sects which practiced zen archery (priestess archers are very archetypal)

Mesh Hong

First Post
My game too, but since I'm the DM, and that cleric was outdoing the blaster wizard in damage output, at least two peopl are happy about it (me, and the wizard player, of course)!

I've weighed up the pros and cons and have decided to ignore the errata. My game is approaching level 26 now and the cleric has been using this power for 15 levels. We have all got use to Solar Wrath as is, and it is a factor I subconsciously consider when designing encounters so it seems too late to change it now.

Even though we have worked out that at level 26 the cleric could possibly use Solar Wrath 5 times in an encounter. :eek:

Klaus

First Post
I thought you wrote it to emulate the Archers of Diana (Sehanine by another name) and the Eastern sects which practiced zen archery (priestess archers are very archetypal)
Somewhat, but not quite. I included a ranged weapon at-will because I'm a firm believer that the rules should have more than one way to accomplish a build.

That article not only had a Wis-based ranged weapon at-will, but also a feat that allowed Wis to replace Dex for ranged basic attacks.

Iit also offered two ways for a bow to be used as an implement (a feat and a magic weapon), which join the already existing Seldarine Dedicate paragon path that also allowed it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Somewhat, but not quite. I included a ranged weapon at-will because I'm a firm believer that the rules should have more than one way to accomplish a build.

That article not only had a Wis-based ranged weapon at-will, but also a feat that allowed Wis to replace Dex for ranged basic attacks.

Iit also offered two ways for a bow to be used as an implement (a feat and a magic weapon), which join the already existing Seldarine Dedicate paragon path that also allowed it.

I am a firm believer in never doing anything for just one reason... heheh

Oh and there is another Wisdom based ranged weapon move and it too is divine ... The Avengers Focused Fury. I missed seeing the Feat for wisdom based range but I allow "Ranged Training". Looks like I need to read the article with focus ;-).

I wonder about Feats which are only properly/obviously useful for somebody having a higher X.... requiring a higher X... why bother with the prerequisit on Serene Archery? I have seen this elsewhere.. guess it makes randomly generated characters more valid ;p

Last edited:

My game too, but since I'm the DM, and that cleric was outdoing the blaster wizard in damage output, at least two peopl are happy about it (me, and the wizard player, of course)!

Big change for my Avenger/Radiant Servant PP character. Its still a minion buster, but not nearly as good a one.

Session before last, our DM packed 8 minions in pretty close to us, I rolled high initiate and got off SW early. Killed 7 of 8.

I'm sure my DM will be happy as well....

Klaus

First Post
I am a firm believer in never doing anything for just one reason... heheh

Oh and there is another Wisdom based ranged weapon move and it too is divine ... The Avengers Focused Fury. I missed seeing the Feat for wisdom based range but I allow "Ranged Training". Looks like I need to read the article with focus ;-).

I wonder about Feats which are only properly/obviously useful for somebody having a higher X.... requiring a higher X... why bother with the prerequisit on Serene Archery? I have seen this elsewhere.. guess it makes randomly generated characters more valid ;p
I'll be honest: my original version of Serene Archery included a Dex requirement, because I didn't want a character to dump Dex.

Herschel

Adventurer
A nice thought, but a bit tough because the primary and secondary are the same defensive stat and the religion skill is INT-based. With having to get points in to DEX, it would probably have been a bit too MAD.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In real world terms an 8 might be seen as no big deal... somebody with extraordinary discipline that doesnt get distracted by other things when aiming and has extraordinary perception and practices a lot... could be good at archery. .. even if his typing is crap and he cant dodge worth beans

Last edited:

Kurzak T

First Post
Not a fan

Spirit of Healing was insanely good and needed a big nerfstick whack but to seriously nerf a core class ability (Healer's Lore) that's been in place from the beginning of the game just sucks. The two combined make Spirit of Healing a waste of time.

Astral Seal did heal well but it was hardly overpowered. I play a support cleric and at 16th level Astral Seal was never a guaranteed heal like healing word was. The intended healing target would still miss regularly and I'm giving up a standard action to put the Seal on the bad guy. I'll likely completely re-do my whole character concept and go to more of a damage dealing cleric. I don't see the point of giving up all the other stuff I could be doing in a round to act as a support character when that support will now have little impact on our success or failure. A minus 2 penalty to defenses isn't even worth bothering with. :rant:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads