• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

May Rules Update

weem

First Post
I'm confused on the Restrained update. I'm sure I'm just missing something - maybe someone can help me understand...

Under the "Restrained" condition, it says that you (the one being Restrained) can't be forced to move...

You can’t move, unless you teleport. You can’t even be pulled, pushed, or slid.

But, under the Grab rules, it seems to indicate that the grabbed (Restrained) creature CAN be moved by force...

Effects that End a Grab: If you are affected by a condition that prevents you from taking opportunity actions (such as dazed, stunned, surprised, or unconscious), you immediately let go of a grabbed enemy. If you move away from the creature you’re grabbing, you let go and the grab ends. If a pull, a push, or a slide moves you or the creature you’re grabbing out of your reach, the grab ends.

What am I missing?

<edit> The Grab info is from the Compendium - maybe it has an update incoming (I thought they released them together) <edit>

Pelenor

Explorer
All healing powers were affected, regen ones also as well as cure X wounds

Definitely no longer the super healers anymore. Now they are more like very good healers.

Some of that healing reduction was probably needed. Just as a curiosity I built a first level character to see how much healing I could squeeze out of him. I never actually got to play him so I can't say I have play experience to back this up but It looked to me like he could keep the party alive through far more than it seemed he should be able to do. But thats just a gut feeling based on eyeballing the characters. I may try again in light of this update and see if I can get him in a game to see what he does.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I admit that the volume of errata, even if well founded, is about to be a serious issue for me. I dislike needing to look things up in multiple places just to make sure the rule was not changed. The Rules Compendium may assist with some of this, though.
Yeah. The errata inclusion was a big part of what I liked about d20srd.org, and it's a similarly large part of what I like about the Rules Compendium.

However, it's also a big reason to never buy a physical book from WotC ever again.

Cheers, -- N

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So a nice little article on how updates are great.

Then I see also this and its like WTF.

But then I see the healer's lore thing, which the healbot cleric in my game has totally abused, and think, OK, not bad.

He can be the one saying WTF.

renau1g

First Post
One thing to consider about the healing is that the cleric wasn't doing any damage so the enemy would stay on its feet longer and therefore do more damage to the party.

Elric

First Post
A summary of some changes is here

Displacer Armor changed to only last for a turn, making it completely worthless at +3 levels over basic "Magic" armor.

War of Attrition, Path of the Storm (Baattlelord of Kord PP daily), and Quickening Order Warlord powers from MP all nerfed. War of Attrition still seems decent.

This has been true for a while, but using the errata without the Character Builder seems quite infeasible.

keterys

First Post
Oh...but they did.

Regen never actually worked with this, though that was a debated topic (ie, table variance) up until the FAQ a year or two ago which noted that no, it really didn't work. It's fairly probably some tables played it otherwise, of course.

Grabs immobilize, not restrain, so the prevention about push, pull, slide (which was already in restrain before) doesn't change anything about grab.

keterys

First Post
Displacer Armor changed to only last for a turn, making it completely worthless at +3 levels over basic "Magic" armor.

I think you and I have different definitions for "useless". It's changed from lasting ~3 rounds of probably being too strong to 1 round of still being quite strong for that one round. It's no longer a premium armor, but it's totally fine, and I doubt players who find it in their games will go "This sucks. I'm not going to bother switching out of my Magic armor to get into it."

renau1g

First Post
Regen never actually worked with this, though that was a debated topic (ie, table variance) up until the FAQ a year or two ago which noted that no, it really didn't work. It's fairly probably some tables played it otherwise, of course.

Funny...they really should have updated their CB in the last year or two to include this as the CB shows clearly that the bonus from Healer's Lore and Healer's Armor are included in the level 9 example I posted earlier even right now when I just checked

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads