• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

May Rules Update

kerbarian

Explorer
With the new charge wording, it looks like you can charge to adjacent with a reach weapon if you want. It also makes it much clearer what happens with immediate actions interrupting a charge, since legal charge movement is now defined per square.

I don't understand why they updated Evard's Black Tentacles for the reason "To escape this zone, a creature had to save and also be missed by the attack in the Sustain entry" but didn't change Visions of Avarice, which has exactly the same issue 14 levels earlier.

Obryn

Hero
Any nerfs to Temple of Hidden Light (Avenger 15) yet?

My group just hit 15th level, and I am absolutely dreading this Daily. :D

-O

Elric

First Post
I think you and I have different definitions for "useless". It's changed from lasting ~3 rounds of probably being too strong to 1 round of still being quite strong for that one round. It's no longer a premium armor, but it's totally fine, and I doubt players who find it in their games will go "This sucks. I'm not going to bother switching out of my Magic armor to get into it."

I said "worthless", in that it's not nearly worth the +3 levels over magic armor that it costs. Of course, plenty of armors/weapons/neck slots at levels +3/+4 over basic magic versions are worthless in the same way.

I'm confused on the Restrained update. I'm sure I'm just missing something - maybe someone can help me understand...

Under the "Restrained" condition, it says that you (the one being Restrained) can't be forced to move...

But, under the Grab rules, it seems to indicate that the grabbed (Restrained) creature CAN be moved by force...

What am I missing?

<edit> The Grab info is from the Compendium - maybe it has an update incoming (I thought they released them together) <edit>
Seems that grabbed and restrained are different conditions now... (didn´t realize they were similar conditions before)

weem

First Post
Seems that grabbed and restrained are different conditions now... (didn´t realize they were similar conditions before)

Excellent, thank you.

Yea, I assumed (incorrectly perhaps) before that if someone grabbed you, that you were Restrained.

But I see there is a "Grabbed" entry (different than "Grab") in the compendium which states the things that end being "Grabbed"...

Certain circumstances end a grab: if the grabber is affected by a condition that prevents it from taking opportunity actions, if either the grabber or the creature it’s grabbing moves far enough away that
the grabbed creature is no longer in the grabber’s reach, or if the grabbed creature escapes. See also “Escape” and “Grab”

So I am assuming then that someone grabbed can be forced (pushed/pulled/slid) out of the grab.

This is what we were doing anyway, it's just that it didn't seem to cover that until now with Restrained.

Anyway, thanks again ;)

MrMyth

First Post
Excellent, thank you.

Yea, I assumed (incorrectly perhaps) before that if someone grabbed you, that you were Restrained.

I think what is confusing you is the difference between the Immobilized and Restrained conditions.

Immobilizes is the lesser version - you can't move from your current spot, but aren't otherwise hindered in combat, and forced movement can still move you.

Restrained is a more significant condition, representing being really wrapped up, covered in vines, ice, etc, such that not only can't you move, but others can't move you, and you even take penalties (-2 on attacks, grant Combat Advantage) due to the difficulty of fighting in that condition.

Grabbing someone Immobilizes them, it does not Restrain them. Thus, forced movement can break a grab.

yesnomu

First Post
Yup, I haven't purchased a book since the first batch of errata made my PHB ....err....shall we say less than useful?
To be fair, the PHB is easily the most errata'd book, and even now it's still at least 80% compendium accurate. I keep my books up to date with a pencil, and it's not too difficult.

On the other hand, my copies of Divine and Primal Power have next to no edits at all.

keterys

First Post
I said "worthless", in that it's not nearly worth the +3 levels over magic armor that it costs. Of course, plenty of armors/weapons/neck slots at levels +3/+4 over basic magic versions are worthless in the same way.

Oops, I was reading a different board at the same time where someone called it useless or I probably wouldn't have responded. Not worth the price increase, eh, maybe, but I don't think it's that horrible either.

A lot of dnd gear isn't on the optimized money scale of 'What is the absolute bang for my buck I can get' but on the 'You found this on a creature and can use it' metric. They might like a +4 Magic over a +3 Displacement, certainly, but that's worth more than twice the gold value.

Anyhow, sorry for mis-wording you there :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads