18/100 Strength!
My recent albums I've been spinning.

Ash - Boneyard
Marduk - Opus Nocturne, World Funeral
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising

bento

Explorer
I've been discovering the treasures that is country & western music. We have a local radio station (The Range) that plays oldies C&W like Tom T. Hall, Johnny Cash and George Jones, along with alt-country like Sun Volt, with some Texas music such as Joe Ely. A lot of its funny, catchy and after hearing the refrain a time or two, you can sing along in the car. But I have not inflicted the rest of my family with it yet.

Otherwise I'm listening online to, hopefully not the last of, Luxuriamusic.com, which faces the May 15th deadline to cease or pay up royalties. Good lounge music and it will be sad if it (and other Internet radio stations) go away. :(

Mycanid

First Post
Ya know Bento ... I also like "Western" music ... but much older, like from the 19th century stuff. Some of it is quite good! I have heard most of it sung by the American folk singer Gordon Bok.

bento

Explorer
From time to time this station will play some Hank Sr. (mid-1950s), but that's about as old as they get. They play some bluegrass, and depending on the singer I either like it or hate it! Oh, they call the genre "Americana" or "Hard Country" music.

I've heard that when you reach a certain age your musical tastes start to atrophy. I'm trying to stretch this part of my brain with listening to music I never listened to before. I started listening to traditional jazz, which can be both challenging and rewarding. Part of the challenge is not turning the dial. ;)

Mycanid

First Post
bento said:
I've heard that when you reach a certain age your musical tastes start to atrophy. I'm trying to stretch this part of my brain with listening to music I never listened to before. I started listening to traditional jazz, which can be both challenging and rewarding. Part of the challenge is not turning the dial. ;)

Agreed. Must admit that I still cannot STAND jazz. :\

You might try bluegrass ... the older bluegrass and Appalachian songs go back some ways. Another interesting field to mine is the "fisherman songs" from the Northeast of the country. Some really interesting things there.

If your paths take you further up the NE coast you can find some fine older instrumental music in the area of Newfoundland and such as well! But ... be aware that if you do not particularly like "Celtic folk music" you will probably not like these kind of things.

Pants

First Post
Kicked off the month with some GnR 'Appetite for Destruction'

Robert Plant's 'Mighty Rearranger'
Deep Purple: 'Machine Head' and 'Perfect Strangers'
Anthrax: 'Among the Living'

papastebu

First Post
George Carlin; Classic Gold and Carlin on Campus
The Floating Men; Tall Shadows
Meat Puppets; Too High to Die
Robben Ford; Talk to Your Daughter
Weird Al Yankovich; Straight Outta Lynwood and Running With Scissors
Jethro Tull; everything I can find.
Eddie Ringo, Jr.; The Other Direction, and Just Another Old Man--my dad :D
Richard Pryor; Was it Something I Said?
The soundtrack from "The Commitments"
Van Morrison; Moondance--the album and the song
The soundtrack from "Dream a Little Dream"
Everclear; So Much for the Afterglow
Lots of things.

papastebu

First Post
Khuxan said:
The Monkees
Say Anything
Starland Vocal Band
They Might Be Giants
I forgot The Monkees: Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones, Ltd.
TMBG; everything.
Barenekkid Ladies; everything.
and Ben Folds Five; One Angry Dwarf

Remove ads