Maybe It's Time for a Break?

R_J_K75

Legend
My last game of the year will be tomorrow. I generally build in some down time at Thanksgiving through New Years. Peoples schedules get rather hectic this time of year and I find the down time is enough to get me recharged. Summers tough too so we play when we can. If I had to guess we get in 15-20 games a year so this gives us just enough downtime to keep the game going with no player turnover.

ccs

41st lv DM
So I'm thinking it's time for a break. Time to find another hobby for a while.

Well, from stuff you've posted recently, it sounds like you've been playing D&D like it's some kind of job, not a hobby....
It's no wonder you're burned out.

Whatever your next hobby, remember to treat it as such.

When you return to D&D? Play it as a hobby. And play it with friends (at least one of whom will take turns running something themselves).

pogre

Legend
My old job used to force me to take a break for four months every year from gaming. I was always ready to go when it started up again. Breaks can be awesome and refreshing - good luck to you!

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
Having a rotating DM can be a great way to play. We did that on several occasions over recent years, and loved the dynamic we had going from one DM to the next.
Taking a break is important. I got started playing D&D in the mid 70s (in Iowa), and some weeks we played nearly every day. Later on, in the mid-80s, I took a break from the hobby for nearly 20 years (except for some writing for Oriflam, the French publisher of Hawkmoon and Stormbringer) before getting back into DD3.5 by way of online games with Neverwinter Nights. We eventually switched to Pathfinder, and now I've played 3 games so far with my group in central France with Pathfinder Second Edition.

Keeping a dynamic group together can be tough sometimes, especially if you live off the beaten path like I do. Try some lighter games like Settlers of Catan. Kick back and let the RPG doldrums ebb and flow. Paint figures. Scratchbuild terrain. There are many ways to find satisfaction in the margins of our shared hobby.

Cheers, --- Phil

Richards

Legend
I find it mildly amusing that the person looking to take a break from gaming has a screen name of Retreater. Retreating - if only temporarily - sounds like it might be the best move for you at the moment.

Johnathan

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Taking a break is fine, I ended a long running Traveller pbp in july of 2018, thinking I would take a longer break, except I started again in september with a test of a new near future setting I made, and most of the old players came back. It is still going now, so who knows, maybe it's time for strength to minimize as the song goes. Step back and look at what important, clear away some clutter, and start all over again.

aramis erak

Legend
If you want a chance to play, and like Umbran and Theo, I suggest trying being a player, but I'd suggest a month off first... if you don't have friends who will let you play, try playing in an organized play group. D&D has organized play in many areas, Pathfinder in fewer but still a lot, shadowrun in a smattering.... and sometimes a GM or two running something else during organized play times.

Persionally, I generally dislike being a player, but was able to enjoy a short reprieve... in a favorite setting no less.

My longest "no game" time in 37 years was 3 months... CAP encampment followed by army basic... and all totaled amounts to under 2 years for all dry spells (not counting a single week off for illness, work, or family obligations; adding those, it's still under 4 years, and most of that running 2 games!).

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Definitely take a break. There are so many things to experience and learn in this short life that there is no reason to force yourself to continue with a hobby that isn't bringing you joy. If you still love the hobby but are mainly exhausted with trying to keep a group together and a campaign running, try running one-shots once every few weeks to get your gaming fix.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases