• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Me Dwarven Kin?

Nyaricus

First Post
solkan_uk said:
I like dwarves, but I'm not keen on how they're portrayed. I don't like this whole crazy berzerker stereotype.
My dwarves are the calm in the storm, when everything is going crazy around you, you can count on the dwarf to be a pillar of stability - unfazable, methodical, patient and difficult to rile are how I'd describe them.

Not violent lager louts as they seem to be portrayed.
I don't see that too much, really. My dwarves are a cross between the two 'pillars' (in my opinion) of dwarfdom - the dwarves of norse mythology, and the dwarves of JRR Tolkiens Middle Earth. Fighters, hoarders, magical-item-makers (with few true magic users) and generally good to the core (more of a Tolkienism with that, though).

The first time I was introduced to the berserker steriotype of dwarves was for WarHammer about, oh, 6 years ago; about a year after I was introduced to D&D. Never stuck out to me, but I always liked the angle the dwarves of WarHammer got. Some, but very few, dwarves of my campaign setting are similar to that [basically, driven out of their strongholds by orcs and their kin, and/or giants and turned into barbarous ragers), but they are noble at their heart, and the cause of good is still one of the things they uphold first and foremost; even if they are a bit... different than their mountain kin, in a number of manners.

Remove ads