• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Meaningful Consequences of Failure for Picking Locks

SheWantstheD&D

First Post
It was simply a missed word. I meant to say a special key, like a master key or magical key.

So a regular key is used so that everyone can go about their business regularly without hassle. But if the door is deadlocked then those people suddenly can't get in and have to go to a supervisor, or BBEG, who has the master/special key. This serves to alert the boss that someone tampered with the lock and prevents people from getting in but doesn't lock the boss and his underlings out from all their rooms.

Ooooh I like that idea!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like to allow retries with increased time. My reasoning is this: You obviously tried the quickest method first, and that didn't work. Next you try the second-quickest method. If that doesn't work, then you go to the third-quickest method, etc. That's why it takes longer each time.

jgsugden

Legend
Realistically, anyone that knows how to pick a lock will be able to pick a standard lock given enough time. I just have the roll determine how long it will take. Then I try to place locks where there is an incentive to do them quickly (before a guard returns, where it guards a weapon that can be used to kill a guardian of the lock, on the exit door in a burning building, etc...)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
It was simply a missed word. I meant to say a special key, like a master key or magical key.

So a regular key is used so that everyone can go about their business regularly without hassle. But if the door is deadlocked then those people suddenly can't get in and have to go to a supervisor, or BBEG, who has the master/special key. This serves to alert the boss that someone tampered with the lock and prevents people from getting in but doesn't lock the boss and his underlings out from all their rooms.

That makes a bit more sense.

Remove ads