Mearls announces end of Legends & Lore & New D&D Columns in 2015!

WotC's Mike Mearls has announced the end of the long-running Legends & Lore column, which was used during D&D Next playtesting to showcase ideas and concepts, and the start of the previously announced series of articles called Unearthed Arcana, "a monthly look at the art of tabletop RPG game design featuring insights into our philosophy, and examples of new and variant material to use at your table."

Additionally, series called Campaign Notebooks and Sage Advice will be launched. Sage Advice follows the old format of years past, and will be manned by Jeremy Crawford as he answers your rules questions. Campaign Notebooks will feature Chris Perkins and others -- "insights into D&D and tips for your games taken directly from the campaigns of Dungeon Masters here at Wizards."

Last edited by a moderator:

Since we haven't been seeing regular Legends & Lore articles since mid-August this should come as a surprise to no one.
The last two or three were really just News articles thrust under that banner because WotC apparently doesn't have a generic D&D News article.

It's neat to know there's more coming, but since they've had the DMG finished for weeks, why do we have to wait until 2015? They could have had articles ready to launch with the DMG.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's neat to know there's more coming, but since they've had the DMG finished for weeks, why do we have to wait until 2015? They could have had articles ready to launch with the DMG.

I don't know, but my random guess says that it's because the DMG isn't actually out yet, and Christmas is upon us. Gearing up for a big new year.

Astrosicebear

First Post
They want to keep the excitement alive but only announce 3 columns... two of which are re-hashes?

Well I hope they learn, and pull the best columnists and bloggers from the interwebs to fill content space. Would love to see Slyflourish, DungeonBastard, etc on the D&D site.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Also disappointed to see "monthly".

Putting some smaller, non-pathy, adventure stuff online would also be nice.

They want to keep the excitement alive but only announce 3 columns... two of which are re-hashes?

Well I hope they learn, and pull the best columnists and bloggers from the interwebs to fill content space. Would love to see Slyflourish, DungeonBastard, etc on the D&D site.
They don't exactly have the writing staff to do more.
And why pay Mike Shae or Bill Cavalier to do something for the WotC site when you can just leave them alone and they'll do it for free on their own website?

I don't know, but my random guess says that it's because the DMG isn't actually out yet, and Christmas is upon us. Gearing up for a big new year.
It just hits all of my "annoy" buttons.
We've been waiting for 5e for two and a half years. Now it's finally here. But we need to wait even longer for content they have finished that's just sitting around their hard drives, like the kender & warforged or the BattleSystem rules.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases