D&D 5E Mearls on other settings

gweinel

Explorer
Below you can see three very interesting tweets by Mike Mearls regarding the non-published dnd settings (even Spelljammer).

mearls.jpg

Although he doesn't mention how it supposed to support these settings, it seems to me that it will gonna be a holistic approach.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I find that encouraging news! I'm fine with waiting so that things are done right, rather than doing them just to do them. I know many others may not agree, but that's my approach.

Until we have official material for those settings, I am getting by just fine by using a mix of my old material and making up my own. It's working just fine so far.

jgsugden

Legend
I wish they'd just hit a reboot button and give us back DL, FR, Greyhawk, Spelljammer, DS with the original materials updated to 5E rules. An 'alternative universe' reset.

These settings worked best when they were introduced and before so many bandaids were applied to them. Take them back to the basics.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
He has been hinting all along that we would see other setting, and that they where taking the long view.

What stands out here is this idea that they have some 10+ year plan that says things like: and in year 8 we will release spelljammer.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The best way to do it IMHO would be with a setting book that also includes an introductory (1-5) adventure for each of the main settings. That way people can get the rules and world expansion they need along with a way to take their group on a test run.

I think the big problem WotC sees is that they can't really stop there. Once a setting has been added they'll need to keep feeding it with content and whilst the setting+adventure books would probably sell well (for the curiosity factor alone) the adventures would probably appeal to only a subset of the audience, and thus volumes go down and more settings just makes the problem worse.

To counter that I think the DMs Guild should be the place to expand that and perhaps the best adventures could be given a WotC gloss and sold for a higher price-point (but still digital/print on demand only to maximize profit).

Selling niche hardback adventures is not going to work IMHO.

Valetudo

Explorer
I think a free to play aproach might work. If they make the crunch books setting nutral, make setting fluff once a month or whenever. That way you dont split the consumer base.

I wish they'd just hit a reboot button and give us back DL, FR, Greyhawk, Spelljammer, DS with the original materials updated to 5E rules. An 'alternative universe' reset.

These settings worked best when they were introduced and before so many bandaids were applied to them. Take them back to the basics.

I agree, set up a Basic Darksun, Dragon Lance, and SPellJammer with it being similar to orginal box sets with MAYBE add on little sidebars on advancing story ideas and I would snap them all up... do so with BIRTHRIGHT and make the rules work with it I will buy 2 day 1

Remove ads