Mechanics for spell failure & consequences

Shiroiken

Legend
the original Deadlands system used a card draw mechanic, where you had to get a certain poker value to succeed. Failure normally didn't have any consequences, but a few did IIRC. The worst part was if you drew a Joker, because while it was a wild for making your hand, just drawing it caused bad stuff to happen.

rustydm

Villager
Thanks for these responses. I can see now why players & GMs probably never bother with magic failure rules. The mechanical systems all seem fiddly. Dungeon World's narrative approach looks like the best way to fold it into the general gameplay without being a nuisance.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thanks for these responses. I can see now why players & GMs probably never bother with magic failure rules. The mechanical systems all seem fiddly. Dungeon World's narrative approach looks like the best way to fold it into the general gameplay without being a nuisance.
The simplest 'failure system' is to just make spellcasting take time in the game (rather than instantly happen on that character's initiative) and during that casting time make it VERY easy to interrupt. Casting in melee is impossible*. Casting when restrained in any way is impossible*. Casting while taking ongoing damage is impossible*. 'Combat casting' options, feats, etc. do not exist. Etc.

Then, when a spell is interrupted, one die roll to see if a wild magic surge is generated and if necessary another to see what happens. Hardly what I'd call fiddly. :)

* - unless the caster's intent is just to try and trigger a surge (I've seen this done!), in which case start with the does-a-surge-happen roll.

Remove ads