Medallions d20 Modern (Update Wednesday 09-20-06)

ledded

Herder of monkies
Re: Silly question

Kradge said:
First off, love the story hour Drew. Just one of the many ways a d20 Modern game can go and definitely sounds like alot of fun. On top of that I'm a Birminghamer and the references to the city make it all the more entertaining a read. I do have a question though, rather silly, but is Empire comics based on a real store? <snip>

Well, I'll answer that as a yes-and-no. There was actually an Empire comics in the Cahaba Heights suburb that recently changed it's name to Legion, and while I'm sure there has been some inspiration on that players part from some shopping there, Joe Empire is that particular players own spin, and spin is something he does very well. He never plans or works up stuff though... everything he says and does (and most of the quotes are things that he actually did or said) is totally off the cuff and Johnny-on-the-spot. There is never a dull moment playing with him. Or any of them for that matter.

Jim aka Willie Lamar

ledded

Herder of monkies
Spatula said:
Drew, that was great! And what an odd mix of characters, rules-wise (the only one with a 'combat' class is an overweight geek!) and roles-wise. Did everyone make their characters individually, or as a group? With two Smarts and two Charismatics, it seems like there's a good chance for a lot of overlap in abilities.

And kudos to whoever chose to play the Comic Book Guy. Hilarious.

Like Pierceatwork said, we just all followed our muse, threw meta-gaming out of the window, and made characters that were some reflection of something we thought would be interesting and fun to play. And as far as skill overlap, somehow we always manage to make our stuff our own, and Drew Id always manages to give every player a chance to "shine" in their own right. Example: Willie and Guyzell are both Charismatic guys, and both even have the Charm talent. But Willie is a street-wise, fast-talking, intimidating, establishment-mistrusting womanizing black man; Guyzell specializes is more of a good ole boy who specializes in the scriptures and turning the hearts of men towards the Good Word. Instead of stepping on each other, they tend to not only team-up in investigating but truly complement each other because of the totally disparate way we play them. Simply, we make the best charismatic good cop/bad cop combo you'll ever meet. Kind of like a twisted buddy cop movie ;^).

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Mission

Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Mission

Willie hobbled out to the truck, leaning heavily on a black orthopedic cane. He was dressed in ragged dirty jeans, old loafers, and a yellow paint-stained T-shirt. In his free hand, he held a small bottle wrapped in a plain brown paper sack.

Brother Cooper leaned over and tugged on the door handle to swing the passenger door open for him. The effort pulled on the stitches in his abdomen, and he winced as he leaned back into the driver’s seat.

“Wilson, the doctors told me I was okay to check out today, but I think you’re a dern fool for leaving the hospital in your condition. Two nights in the hospital following a knife wound like you had…well that’s just not enough time for your body to heal” he preached, as Willie groaned his way into the waiting vehicle. “And you may want to watch where you’re putting your hand there.”

Willie looked up and realized that, in looking for a suitable handhold to help him climb into the truck, he had grabbed the butt of Guyzell’s shotgun in the truck’s gun rack. He carefully eased his hand away from the weapon and finished sliding into the cab. He grunted, “I’m alright, preacher. And ya know, I do appreciate your advice. Between you and my Gramms, I’m stocked up on advice and fussing over me for quite a while.”

“Alright, alright, just trying to help you out,” Brother Cooper offered, and pulled his Stetson down a little tighter onto his head. He pulled out onto the street and the pickup truck headed downtown. “So what’s the plan here tonight?”

“Well,” Willie considered. “I figure you’re good for going in and volunteering; maybe talking to the folks running the place. I figured I would try to fit in with some of the boys coming in for dinner and try to talk to them.”

Brother Cooper looked over again at Willie’s cheap and tattered clothes. “Well, you certainly do look the part.”

. . .

“Well, Reverend Cooper, it is always a pleasure to welcome a new volunteer,” the soup kitchen manager beamed, “and especially when said volunteer is a man of the cloth.” The thin man spoke with a lilt in his voice, but otherwise seemed completely worn-out, which seemed far too typical for a charity worker. “While the St. James Mission is of course officially non-denominational, all of us pretty much feel that we’re doing God’s work here.”

“There’s no finer work that a man can do, brother,” Guyzell agreed. “I just want to do what I can. Just point out what you want me to do, and I’ll be glad to get started.”

“Glad to hear it. We have a hard time getting enough volunteers on weeknights, and I’m just really glad to have someone here tonight.”

A few minutes later, Guyzell was wearing a too-tight apron and stirring a giant pot of cheap instant soup in the industrial-grade kitchen, while the mission manager was off setting up folding tables in the other room.

Taking a moment to snoop around, Guyzell found a small storage room in a hallway between the kitchen and a stairwell. Poking his head inside, he found several half-empty boxes with the Project: Together logo stamped on the side. The lots of clothing had definitely been passed out here then.

As he returned to the kitchen, the preacher spotted a clipboard hanging from a nail on the wall, next to a phone. Taking a moment to look over the papers there, he found a contact list for all of the common volunteers at the Mission, complete with their cell phone numbers. He was proud to see that, among about fifty names on the list, he recognized at least a couple of the names as members of his church.

Guyzell paused and looked around the room for a pen or some paper, but couldn’t find anything usable. There wasn’t another copy of the list handy, and it was too long to try to memorize. After a moment, he stuck the paper under his cowboy hat, and headed back outside.

The manager was still setting up tables. Guyzell nodded to him and said that he just needed to run out to his truck for a minute to make a phone call. The manager waved him on and smiled wearily.

Passing the growing line of hungry homeless men, Guyzell tried to avoid eye contact with Willie. He moved on to his truck and slide inside, closing the door behind him. He dialed a number on his cell phone while removing the paper from his hat. After a moment, an answering machine picked up:

“Hi, this is Brother Guyzell Cooper. I am sorry, but I am unable to take your call at this time…”

After the machine beeped, Guyzell began reading off names and numbers into the phone.

. . .

Willie hobbled down the sidewalk, leaning heavily on his cane. He knew the cane was a good prop for the part, but he hated that he actually did need the damn thing to help him stand up. His leg was throbbing and sore from the ankle to up above his hip.

The doc had given him a scrip for some pain meds, but he didn’t want to take anything if he could help it. For one thing, he didn’t want to be hopped up on something in case bullets started flying, and for another, he had seen a couple of old friends back in his days in the Marines that had enjoyed the stuff a little too much. Not to mention that he didn’t have the cash to pay for a refill if he needed one.

He was now reconsidering the whole idea earlier about having the preacher drop him off a few blocks away so he could walk up to the Mission separately and not arouse suspicion. His leg was not up for a three block jaunt through downtown, and he was sweating with the effort.

Finally, around the next corner, he saw the sign for the St. James Mission for the Homeless. Several of the lights had burned out on the sign, but he didn’t imagine the place’s clientele had much concern with the look of the place.

There were already about two dozen men waiting in line out front. Willie wondered how some of them had come to this sorry state, and felt a strong sense of compassion for them, and a sudden urge to find justice for them. That urge for justice felt strong; it felt like it was a source of strength; and actually seemed to drive back some of the pain in his leg. But as he drew closer, he couldn’t help but start looking for weapons. He couldn’t trust these men, not after two nights ago… at least not yet.

The men were forming a basic line, waiting for the call to dinner, and to be allowed inside for the night. They waited, lined up in the sidewalk, standing or sitting, leaning back against the brick building, with its barred windows and chipping paint.

“Damn, brother, you look like hell,” one of the men offered. He was a wiry older black man, thin and with sallow cheekbones. He wore a mix of borrowed clothing, including a faded Atlanta Braves cap and mismatched shoes.

“Thanks, bro…you should see the other guy,” Willie joked, as he hobbled up closer to the man. He winced as he stepped up over a break in the concrete, and didn’t have to pretend to show off the pain in his face.

“Here, boy, you come here and sit down right now. Quincy, get yo’ butt outta the way. Can’t you see we got a man injured here?” the Atlanta Braves fan motioned for one of his companions to clear out a spot, and he motioned Willie over to sit down.

“Thanks, bro,” Willie repeated, and sank down onto the sidewalk. The two men helped him down and then sat back down on either side of him. Willie suddenly felt very foolish, and more than a little depressed. He had just had two homeless men taking pity on him. There was something just plain wrong with that.

Willie introduced himself to the two men. The talkative one introduced himself as Jones, and he re-introduced Quincy.

“So, how long ‘til we eat?” Willie wondered aloud, and looked to see how long the line was ahead of them.

“Why? You got somewhere you got to be?” Jones joked, and Quincy laughed hoarsely.

“No,” Willie grinned. “Just seeing if I had time for a drink.” He fished the bottle out of his pocket, and, looking both ways to make sure no one was watching, took a quick swig.

“Hey, brother, you didn’t say you was holdin’!” Jones whispered, and checked to see if anyone else had seen. “You know, they won’t let you take that inside.”

Willie paused, as if considering his options. “Well, then, you guys wanna help me finish this out here, before we go in?”

Jones and Quincy eagerly agreed, and the three began passing the bottle back and forth. Neither of the homeless men seemed to notice that Willie wasn’t really drinking when he put the bottle to his lips.

“So, what’s up in the hood these days?” Willie asked as he took another fake-drink. “I ain’t been in town for a while.”

Jones eyed him sideways, and Willie wondered if somehow he had blown his cover. But the homeless man was not looking so much at Willie as he was checking out the street on either side, as though he wanted to be careful of who might be listening. After assuring himself that they were not going to be overheard, he whispered, “Well, you sure picked a bad time to come back to town, Willie.”

“Why? What’s going down?”

“I don’t know, but I’m just saying…the line won’t be too long for dinner tonight.” Jones took the last of the bottle, and then casually wiped his mouth on his sleeve. He looked over at Quincy, who nodded in agreement.

“Whaddaya mean, Jones, my man? What you guys talking ‘bout?”

“I don’t know, man. But…okay…it’s like this,” Jones started. “A few days ago, like last week or so, I was under the overpass, over there on Seventh? So, I woke up in the middle of the night, and there was a bunch of us under there, on account of it was raining. And this white van stopped under there, and a bunch of the guys went over to it. And then they all got in the van, and it drove off.”

Willie paused, waiting for the rest of the story. But Jones seemed satisfied, as though the tale spoke for itself. Finally, Willie had to push him, “And…?”

“…And we ain’t seen any of those guys since,” Jones finished. “And they ain’t the only ones that come up missing neither. Past couple weeks…ten, maybe fifteen guys gone.”

Quincy, who had so far been quite on the subject, nodded agreement. “Just like that….gone forever.”

Last edited:

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Corporation

Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Corporation

He was tall, white, strongly-built, and bald. He wore a conservative sunglasses and a sharp dark suit, like a lawyer or a game show host. He wore a thick ring on an off-finger, probably a school ring or a corporate anniversary present. He walked straight in from the door and over to the front desk without looking around.

“I need help finding a book.”

Taylor nodded without getting up, “You’re in luck. This is a library.”

If he caught the sarcasm, he ignored it. He announced simply, “The title is Coin Collecting in the Southeast, 1900-1950.

Taylor winced, and blinked. Okay, don’t look surprised, don’t look shocked…damn, probably completely blown that by now… “Um…okay, I have…never heard of it. I will…see if we have it.”

She rolled her chair over to the desk computer, glad that the man could not see the monitor from where he was standing. The prehistoric computer she had here could not actually access the card catalog, but this man probably didn’t know that. Hopefully.

She typed a few characters into the computer. Specifically, she typed “if I get killed and someone finds this note on the computer”… but couldn’t figure out what to put next. After a moment’s pause, trying to pretend that the computer was searching, she turned back to the man.

“Sorry, it looks like that book is checked out. If you want, I can get your name and contact y--”

The man smiled ever so slightly, without showing teeth. He nodded and turned around. He was through the door before she was done talking.

Taylor stood and just stared for a moment, trying to think of a plan. She heard a car start in the parking lot. Grabbing a pen and pad from her desk, she ran to the window, and as the car sped away, she wrote down a license plate number.

. . .

“Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. This is Lucille. How may I direct your call?”

“Lucille? Hey baby, this is Willie.”

Lucille actually stopped and set down the fingernail file. “Willie? Slick Willie Lamar? Boy, you got a lot of nerve calling me.”

“Oh, now, come on baby. Don’t be like that.” His voice was smooth as silk.

“Uh-huh. I talked to my girl Shantrice,” Lucille’s head involuntarily bobbled from one side to another as her attitude started to get going. “Uh-huh, don’t you be calling me baby and starting in with me. She told me all about what you was doing.”

“Baby, please. I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She swore she could hear Barry White playing in the background on the other end of the line. “Uh-huh. Don’t you even try to play those games with me Willie. She told me how you was out with her cousin and how you was saying you was out working---”

“I was working baby. She’s crazy, now you know Shantrice’s whole family is crazy. They ain’t like your us normal folks baby. Not you know I ain’t lying, Lucille.”

“She don’t have to be crazy to see you out with her cousin,” Lucille had to admit Willie was right. Shantrice’s whole family was crazier than a box of glue.

“I wasn’t out with her cousin, Lucille. Now come on, baby. You know me better than that,” his voice never wavered. Lucille had worked in a police station long enough to hear plenty of guys pleading their case, and Willie sure did sound sincere. “Seriously, baby, I was working, and she was there at that bowling alley, and I don’t know why she was there.”

“Uh-huh.” Well, Lucille though, it’s possible he really didn’t do anything wrong.

“…and besides, baby. You know me better than that. I wouldn’t take a girl out to no bowling alley for a date. When I’m with a lady, I take her someplace nice.”

“Uh-huh” That was true, from what she had heard. Willie did treat a girl nice on a date. He ought to know how, from how many girls she knew that he had been out with.

“Now you know that’s true baby. Like if I was to take you out on a date? I would take you out for a steak dinner… then maybe some dancing”

“You wanna take me dancing?” One thing she did know, was that Willie was supposed to be a good dancer…among other things.

“Sure baby! I would love to take you dancing,” he crooned. “Come on, baby, let’s you and me go dancing this weekend.”

She stopped, held her breath, and counted to five. No sense looking over-eager here. Finally, she answered him, “Okay, but it better be nice, and I better not end up hearing about you and my cousin. Oh, and you better have a car!”

“Of course baby! Yeah, I’ll pick you up Friday night. It’s gonna be great baby,” he agreed.

His voice did sound very sweet over the phone. It sounded even sweeter when he continued, “…say baby, as long as I got you on the phone, I got some license plate numbers here…”

. . .

The phone rang. A male voice picked up.

"Who is this?"

"Joe?" Willie was caught off guard.

"Don't say my name on the phone! Who is this? Ten seconds!""

"Joe, how many six-foot-tall black men with a knife wound in their leg do you know?"

“Oh… hi Willie,” Joe answered.

“Look, Joe, I got some info from a friend of mine, and Crystal said you were looking things up on your computer for South-Medical, so I wanted to compare notes with you.”

“Yeah, she can’t stop talking about me. Really, it’s kinda embarrassing.”

“Huh?”

“Nothing, Willie. Yeah, I do have some notes for you. You first.”

“Okay, I had a friend run a background check on that detective, Rich Hall. He is clean. Good record. Been a police detective for ten years. Married. No kids. Two cars. Owns his own house, got an address here,” Willie read off a street address. “No criminal history. He looks clean, at least on paper.”

“Okay, I’ll see if I can find anything else here. I can get to the network where… well, anyhow, I would like to know everything else I can about this guy… So what else you got?”

“Okay, my friend also ran the plates from that guy that Taylor saw this morning. Ready for this? Name’s Jack Bolling. Ex-marine. House…no… make that a mansion in Mountain Brook. Has a license to carry concealed, and a federal arms dealer’s license. Job is listed as Director of Security for South-Medical.”

“South-Medical?! Hang on!” Willie could hear Joe typing furiously on the other end of the line.

About thirty seconds passed. Joe suddenly announced, “Got it. Jack Bolling. Started at South-Medical seven years ago…as a messenger. In seven years, he went from the mail room to director of security. He’s definitely on the list.”

“What list?”

“Oh, right. Get this,” Joe sounded like an excited kid talking about a new game he had found. “So Crystal did some research on that Church, with the vandalism, right? And it turns out that Dick Scorse, you know, from South-Medical? Well he donated a bunch of money for that Church to be built. Nothing strange there, right? But it also turns out that he donated a bunch of money to the library.”

“Hmmm”

“Wait, it gets weirder. So, I started looking at South-Medical, and I got records on a bunch of different guys that got promoted, like, way, way too fast. Basically, a bunch of guys that moved up through the ranks faster than they should have. And get this, the top four of them at least are all vice-presidents now, and they are all listed as card-carrying members in the rolls at the library.”

“Hmmm… okay, Joe, I’m sure this all makes sense in conspiracy-land but-”

“Wait, so then I called Taylor and she checked, and none of these guys have ever checked out a book. But they have all been members of the library it looks like since they started work at South-Medical. I don’t know about this guy Bolling but I can check on him.”

“Okay…so what does that all mean in the real world?”

“Um… I don’t know. But they’re all involved in it. They’re all in on it.”

“Uh-huh… in on what?”

“The conspiracy”

“Okay, Joe, well, I’ll leave you to that. I just have one more question.”

“Shoot.”

“Do you know where I could borrow a car for Friday night?”

Spatula

Explorer
ledded said:
And as far as skill overlap, somehow we always manage to make our stuff our own, and Drew Id always manages to give every player a chance to "shine" in their own right. Example: Willie and Guyzell are both Charismatic guys, and both even have the Charm talent. But Willie is a street-wise, fast-talking, intimidating, establishment-mistrusting womanizing black man; Guyzell specializes is more of a good ole boy who specializes in the scriptures and turning the hearts of men towards the Good Word. Instead of stepping on each other, they tend to not only team-up in investigating but truly complement each other because of the totally disparate way we play them. Simply, we make the best charismatic good cop/bad cop combo you'll ever meet. Kind of like a twisted buddy cop movie ;^).
I'll look forward to seeing that... :) So Willie has charm (the ladies) and Guyzell has charm (males)? At least there you're covering each other's blindspots.

Harp

First Post
Spatula said:
Tsk, tsk, Joe should know better than to speak so frankly about The Conspiracy on the phone.

Ah, you can hardly blame the guy for letting his guard down in the face of an actual conspiracy.

EXCELLENT story hour, by the way.

Pierce

First Post
Guyzell's a Charming Man

Spatula said:
I'll look forward to seeing that... :) So Willie has charm (the ladies) and Guyzell has charm (males)? At least there you're covering each other's blindspots.

When I was creating Guyzell, I specifically had the old-time revivalist preacher in mind. I knew I wanted to make him a charismatic and start with the Charm talent. It really didn't make any sense for him to have Charm (female), as he's more interested in his relationship with God and his congregation than he could be with a woman. Plus, there's a bit of good-ole-boy in him; he's not a misogynist, but he tends to think women are the "gentler sex" and thus are not normally in positions of power. He considers the husband the head of the family and will always speak to him first or ask his opinion, feeling that the wife will "fall in line." Therefore, he spends more of his energy interacting with men than women.

Please note that this is roleplaying and does not reflect the personal opinions of the player (me)! ;)

If anyone's interested, I can post his history.

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Thanks for the updates Drew.

Pierce, I would love to see character histories, yours and all the rest too.

Remove ads