Medallions d20 Modern (Update Wednesday 09-20-06)

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) Joe

Session 1 (5/07/2003) Joe

Joe Empire was surprised…and a little annoyed.

Well, admittedly, he should be thankful. The policeman had dropped him off at his shop, now some three hours later, without so much as a glance back. He had managed to survive the library attack with only a few minor scratches from jumping through the window (something he had always wanted to try). He had gotten to actually fight off someone who wanted to kill him, and he had survived. He had undoubtedly saved the lives of everyone else there, and he had met a girl who had willingly torn her shirt open in front of him. (Okay, it was to make bandages out of, but clearly she wanted him.) He had been questioned by the police and had refused to tell them anything important, despite rather persistent questioning.

But, unfortunately, Joe had not seen a single Man In Black.

He supposed it was to be expected. They were undoubtedly out there. They had almost certainly been there tonight. He suspected they had sent the assassins after him, to shut him up. To try to get him to stop talking, to stop writing his conspiracy-exposing newsletter. In the aftermath, Joe had watched the perimeter, waiting to see one of them, or maybe some similar cigarette-smoking shadow figure watching him. But he must have missed them.

He decided that they were good. Yes, very good, but he would catch them. Because Joe had been prepared tonight.

When he was listening to Art Bell the other night, he had been listening to a caller describe a run-in with the Freemasons, and at the time, Joe got annoyed because the caller had seen several cars and had not bothered to write down the license plate numbers. So Joe had decided then, that should he get into a similar situation, he would write down the details. They wouldn’t pull an Area 51 on old Joe, that’s for sure.

The cops had tried to play with him. They said things like “Sir, you must be in shock” and “You’re welcome to write down my badge number, sir. We’re only here to help.” and “Do you need a ride home?” But Joe knew the truth. He could see they were scared. Scared of a guy whose eyes were open to the Truth. They were scared because Joe was on to them and their shadow government mind control. Yeah, they didn’t know who they were messing with when they messed with old Joe.

So, anyhow, everyone else taken to UAB Hospital. Joe got the ambulances’ license plate numbers and the names of all of the paramedics before they left. He wondered idly if he would ever see any of them again.

Right now, he had more important things to do.

Joe pulled out his cell phone and called John Wiggs. The little punk had left him there in Vestavia tonight to get killed. It was the least he could do to come pick him up now.

“Hello?”

“John, this is me. Get over here now. I need a ride.” Joe looked at his watch. Never stay on the phone for more than forty seconds. First thing they teach you… if by ‘they’ you mean movies and books about conspiracies and similar paranoid delusions.

“Huh? Who is this?” John sounded half-asleep.

“You know I won’t say my name over an open line. Now come pick me up. I’m at the shop.” (Second thing they teach you.)

“Joe? Do you know what time it is?”

“Don’t say my name on the phone moron! Look, we’ve got to move quick. I need a ride now. Come pick me up.”

“No. Look, I’m sorry I left you tonight but--”

“Come pick me up”

“No”

“Come pick me up and I’ll give you a… thirty percent discount at the store tomorrow.”

There was a pause at the other end of the line. “Including minis?”

“No, of course not.”

There was another pause. “Including the special anime section?”

“Jeez! Fine. Get over here.”

Half an hour later, John arrived. The car ride was quiet, and Joe refused to answer any of his friend’s questions. Finally, they arrived at the library.

The scene was quiet and empty. The doors and the window that Joe had jumped through were boarded up, and there was police tape covering an area around the front door.

Instructing John to wait in the car, Joe got out and moved through the bushes, and into the trees behind the library. Trying to remember as much of the marine training as he had seen in Full Metal Jacket, Joe moved in a serpentine fashion through the trees until he stumbled upon his backpack. Hefting its significantly heavier soggy weight onto his back, he dodged and weaved his way back to the car.

Despite numerous questions from his driver, Joe would only say on the ride home that the less John knew, the less he could reveal under questioning.

At last back in his apartment, Joe locked out the world, sent John home, and opened up his bag.

The two guns were on top. Joe’s tiny .22 revolver, and the black guy’s giant cannon. Jeez, trying to compensate for something, big guy?

More importantly, five of the six books that Joe had stuffed into the bag had been ruined by the rain. But the sixth book was untouched, and unnaturally dry. Joe pulled the light-weight book onto his desk, read the title (“Coin Collecting in the Southeast, 1900-1950”) and flipped it open.

It fell open to a page featuring an old yellowing black-and-white photo in an antique style. The photo showed a dozen men and women posing for a group photo, like a class picture. The caption read: Ward Numismatic Society, 1924.

Five of the people in the picture looked exactly like the people who had been attacked in the library tonight.

Joe spent the next few hours before his store opened studying the books and researching the information online. He didn’t know what to make of anything. He just knew that he needed to know more.

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) Taylor and Crystal

Session 1 (5/07/2003) Taylor and Crystal

Taylor dropped the broom for the third time, and nearly gave up trying to sweep up the broken glass. She was having a hard time holding the dustpan in her left hand because of the injury in her shoulder, and she kept fumbling the broom trying to compensate. The doctors last night had only given her two stitches in her shoulder, and then bandaged her up and sent her on her way. A uniformed policeman had given her a ride back to her car, and then she had been free to go.

She found it peculiar that she had not talked to a detective, or at least someone other than a simple beat cop during the entire evening. She assumed she would probably receive a call later in the day for a further interview. They had at least taken down her name and contact information in their report, but something made her think that, despite the severity of a multiple homicide and the sheer audacity of the attack, that somehow the police would not pursue the matter as diligently as they should. Nothing she could put her finger on, but something did not feel right.

As though triggered by her thoughts, her cell phone rang.

“Hi, Taylor? My name is Crystal. We…met last night? You gave me your cell phone number at the hospital?”

Taylor greeted her hesitantly, “Yes…hello, Crystal.”

“Yeah, hi, listen… I don’t know about you, but I just got the feeling last night like… I don’t know, the police were just not too interested in what happened last night. Did you get that feeling too?”

Taylor felt a moment of relief at not being alone in her suspicions, and then further paranoia at the implications if she were correct. She mumbled her agreement to Crystal.

“Okay, I thought so… So last night, before the cops got there, I searched the pockets on one of those guys. And, I think I found something.”

There was a moment right there. One shining moment, when Taylor felt something, like the two roads diverging in a wood. She could hang up, right here. She could hang up and say the police should handle it, and just walk away. She could not get involved. And something told her, if she went down that other road, if she got involved here…she would be involved forever.

“So…what did you find?”

. . .

Thirty minutes later, Taylor was pulling up in front of a little apartment complex in Southside. Moderately cheap apartments, a lot like her own, suited towards students and young couples. Through the windshield wipers thumping out their visual patterns in the rain on her shield, she saw Crystal standing under a stairwell in her leather jacket. With a wave, Crystal dodged across the lot to Taylor’s car and hopped in.

“This is what I found,” she said simply, as she drew a Ziploc bag from her pocket. As she did so, Taylor saw the holster hidden within Crystal’s jacket. Taylor would have been surprised, she supposed, if she hadn’t kept her own pistol under her pillow last night and tucked it into the back of her jeans earlier today.

The Ziploc bag contained two small rectangular slips of paper. Each was about the size of a business card, and bore a stamp stating, “Project: Together, Lot #”, and then a blank line to be filled in. One was filled in by hand with the number 2643 and the other showed 2644.

“I don’t know what it means, this Project: Together---”

“It’s a charity,” Taylor answered. “It’s a thrift store. Just over in Irondale near Eastwood mall.”

. . .

Ten minutes later, they were talking to a short man with a yellow plastic nametag identifying him as the thrift store manager.

“Yeah, so like, Hi! Um, so like, I got these pants from a friend of mine, and there was like, a slip of paper in the pocket that said Project: Together, and it had this number on it, and like, I was just wondering what the number was for...”

Crystal was standing, in Taylor’s opinion, far too close to the poor man. Crystal had unbuttoned the first three buttons on her blouse as she talked, and she kept twiddling with her rain-soaked hair as she talked to him. The manager appeared flushed and a little uncomfortable, and was clearly enjoyably affected by her interrogation technique.

Taylor idly looked down at the buttons on her own blouse. She could try the same trick, of course, but unless the goal was to fill the guy with pity, it probably wouldn’t help matters.

The flustered store manager stuttered out, “Those numbers are nothing to worry about. I mean, they are just what we use to track shipments of clothes that we don’t sell. Um…” He lost his train of thought for a moment as Crystal beamed a smile at him. “But, yeah, um… if a friend of yours got some clothes from one of those lots, then she didn’t buy it here in the store. You see, some stuff gets sold in the store, and then some clothes get taken to our warehouse in the back, and they get broken down into lots, and we send those lots to local charities. Your friend must have gotten the panties…er…pants…um… from one of the places we send clothes to…”

“A warehouse? How interesting! So…”

Taylor wandered away from the budding young couple and moved through the clothing displays in the store, moving towards the back. Finally, a job for Non-Descript-Girl, with her amazing ability to blend in and be ignored!

Taylor circled back around for a moment, now behind the enamored manager, and caught Crystal’s eye. Giving her the “keep him talking” signal, Taylor rounded another display of old jeans and passed through a door marked “Employees Only”

The room was a simple room of boxes and crates, with a loading bay and a cluttered desk. A tired looking old man with a clipboard stood near the desk, counting boxes.

“Hi, I’m Taylor, from Jefferson County Child Care. The man in the front said you could help me? I’m trying to track down a lot that got messed up and sent to the wrong place. Do you have a second?”

“Sure, what can I do ya for?”

“I’ve got a lot number here, 2643? Could you tell me where that got sent? My boss says that somebody maybe got behind or something…”

The trick worked, and the man immediately became defensive. “I don’t think so, ma’am. We always double-check every shipment leaving this place to be sure it goes to the right place, and we always have them sign for it when it gets picked up.” He started flipping pages on his clipboard.

“Hey, I hear you. My boss just says we were supposed to get a lot with some children’s clothes in it---”

“See, here it is right here. Your boss is wrong. Lot 2643, and 2644, and 2645, all sent to the St. James Mission for the Homeless. And see here, this says all of those lots were clothes for adult men, not children. Your boss is wrong, little lady.”

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
I found another gem. Nice writing Drew, keep the updates coming.

I love the characters and how you drew them together.

Man with all the great story hours here, who needs a library. Besides, it sounds like they can be dangerous. :)

Last edited:

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) Joe on the bus

Session 1 (5/07/2003) Joe on the bus

“Case Closed?!?!? WHAT THE &%$# DO THEY MEAN ‘CASE CLOSED’?”

The other three passengers on the bus (two elderly women and what looked like a foreign exchange student) were watching Joe Empire like a ticking time bomb. His heavy trench-coat, Green Lantern T-shirt, and ragged bullet-riddled backpack did nothing to ease their minds. And random obscene outbursts were probably not a calming factor.

Joe hadn’t managed to get any sleep this morning (or take a shower) before opening the shop, and he had muddled through the morning fueled only by paranoia and Mountain Dew. He had eyed every customer suspiciously, expecting some as-yet-unnamed conspiracy to come sweep him away at any minute.

It was hard to think straight all morning. There was too much going on. In the words of Sneakers, “Too many secrets.”

According to Joe's internet searches in the early hours of the morning, the Ward Numismatic Society was founded in 1921 by G.B. Ward. This Ward guy had also founded the suburb of Vestavia Hills, where the library was located. Ward had apparently also been connected to several local industrial pioneers at the time, and was involved in a variety of local organizations. Perhaps most frighteningly, according to the local newspaper’s online archives, G.B. Ward had built the very library where the attack had taken place last night.

The library was where the Ward Numismatic Society used to meet.

By lunchtime, Joe was ignoring the few regulars in his shop and was busy at the register watching ‘Gambling Samurai’ (in the original Japanese, no subtitles, domo arigato very much). Man, that Toshiro was one nutty swordsman. For a couple of hours, life seemed to return to normal...

Anyhow, by lunchtime, the Men-In-Black had not come for him yet, so Joe decided to head out for some spring rolls, and to swing by the Vestavia police station to pick up the official report from last night’s attack. He needed the police report for his official “case file”. Plus, he would probably want to put it into the next newsletter. The Red Herring Newsletter was gaining new subscribers all the time (nine new subscribers last year alone!) and they would undoubtedly want to see the poorly-photocopied evidence for themselves.

So, an hour later, he was back on the bus, fresh from hassling The Man, with a copy of the police report.

Case Closed. Joe could not believe it. The attack was “likely gang-related.” The two surviving suspects were in custody (while still undergoing medical treatment) and were listed as “unresponsive.”

There would be no further investigation. There would be no interviews, no evidence gathering, and no official inquiries. The case was just…closed.

When the bus neared his Southside shop once again, Joe got off the bus, at once both disheartened and incensed. They could not just sweep this away. They could not do this to Joe Empire.

Looking again at the crumpled photocopy he had clutched the whole ride home, Joe noted the name of the detective who had signed off on the report. Detective Rich Hall.

Well, Joe thought, I think it's time Detective Rich Hall found out the consequences of crossing Joe Empire.

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) Brother Cooper and Willie in the Hospital

Session 1 (5/07/2003) Brother Cooper and Willie in the Hospital

Willie woke up to the smell of disinfectant, the feeling of a hundred needles stabbing into his left thigh, and a metallic dry taste in his mouth. He smacked his lips together and cleared his throat to try to get some saliva flowing again as he surveyed the room.

There was a hint of pale daylight coming in through the window blinds to his right, and the sound of rain could be heard pattering on the window. He was lying in a hospital bed, in a flimsy paper gown, with an IV hooked up to one arm, and a thick shell of bandages taped around his left leg. A monitor on his right read out a series of jagged lines following his breathing and heart rate. To his left, a curtain divided the room in half.

Willie cleared his throat again. After a moment, the curtain pulled to the side. Brother Guyzell Cooper was sitting there in a wheelchair on the other side of the curtain, next to an unmade bed. Brother Cooper was in a hospital gown as well, and was holding a Bible in his lap. He marked his page with an embroidered bookmark and closed the book.

“Glad to see you’re finally up and around. I had some friends of mine praying for your recovery.”

Willie looked over the preacher for a moment. Short of looking a little green around the gills, and maybe needing to lose some weight, the preacher looked to be in good shape.

“What do they have you in for, preacher?”

Brother Cooper grimaced and motioned towards his stomach. “I took one in the belly last night. Not as bad as your leg, there, but enough for a handful of stitches. Overall, they say we’re both lucky. Should be out of here in a week or two.”

Willie laid back into his bed and closed his eyes. He had no idea how he was going to pay for this. First his shotgun, then his car, both now at the pawn shop. Now some mountain of medical bills just to completely bury him.

“You might want to read this,” Brother Cooper whispered to him.

Willie sighed, and winced at the shot of pain from his leg. And now he was stuck for a week in a room with a Bible-beater. “I appreciate it, preacher, but I’m not really up right now for a Bible stu-”, he began, but saw that the preacher was not offering him the Bible, but a rolled-up newspaper. “What’s this?”

“Today’s newspaper. Afternoon edition,” Brother Cooper smirked.

“Yeah,” Willie cut himself off. This was a man of God he was dealing with, after all, and it was a stupid question. He would try again, “What’s in it?”

“Nothing,” Brother Cooper sighed, and looked more than just a little concerned. “That’s the problem. Nothing about the events from last night. No pictures, no article. Not so much as a single line.”

Willie’s blood ran cold. The monitor on his right beeped suddenly, perhaps in response to the sudden rise in his heart rate.

Willie knew police procedure. He had at one time wanted to become a police detective. He still even considered the notion every now and then. He followed press reports of crime in the local area religiously. And one thing he knew for sure was that the press should have been on the story last night from the moment the cops were called. If the story didn’t run, it was because someone didn’t want it to run.

“The Lord moves in mysterious ways, Willie.”

Willie looked at the paper. The first article to catch his eye was near the bottom of the page. A local contractor was donating work to help repair damage from a recent vandalism attack on the Mountain View Church in Vestavia.

Willie had become an investigator because he had originally failed the written tests to become a police officer. His test proctor had been a racist, of course, and Willie was pretty sure he had actually passed the test but been denied in spite of his results. Still, despite that failure, Willie had known he would have made a fine police detective, just as he was a fine private investigator, because his mind saw connections that others missed.

Just glancing at the article about the local contractor, Willie saw two words. “Attack”, and “Vestavia.” That pattern-recognition part of his brain took over. He read the rest of the article, almost willing clues to appear before him.

The church was on Highway 31, less than a mile from the library. The vandals had struck three days ago. The attack occurred late in the night. No one was injured. The vandals had carved symbols into the wooden pulpit.

Carved…Carved…Carved. Willie was thinking now…

Carved…If you want to carve something into wood, what would you use?

A big knife.

. . .

Ten minutes later, an overweight female nurse came in, carrying a syringe. She smiled at Willie as she plugged the syringe into his IV, “Good afternoon, Mr. Lamar.”

Willie beamed a smile at the portly woman, “Afternoon, baby.” He decided on Friendly Smile With Good-Natured Heroics as the best choice for the moment.

The nurse smiled. Her teeth were a little crooked, and she could probably use a trip to the hair salon after she lost some weight, but she wasn’t really too bad off. She had smooth chocolate skin, and her eyes were a decent shade of green. Still, she was probably unaccustomed to compliments, which is exactly why Willie continued. “Baby, if you don’t mind me saying… well, I’m a detective, as you may have heard. And from time to time my work gets a little dangerous, catching bad guys and saving people and that kind of thing, you know? And I’ve been in hospitals on more than one occasion from scrapes like this little one here…but I got to tell you, baby, you have the prettiest eyes of any nurse I have ever seen.”

The nurse smiled sheepishly, her crooked teeth breaking out into a flirtatious little grin. “Well, thank you, Mr. Lamar.”

Willie smiled back at her, switching over to Devilish Grin Just Between You and Me, as he began to reel her in. “Oh, please, baby, call me Willie. And you are…Irene?”

He switched smiles now as he saw her warm to him. This was pretty easy, but he didn’t want to go overboard. He decided on the You’re In My Secret Club Now grin he had invented last week. She seemed to go for it as he continued, “My first crush in grade school was on a girl named Irene. ”

Brother Cooper cleared his throat in a disapproving tone.

Willie continued, “Irene, could you do me a favor?”

“There were a few gentlemen probably brought in here last night about the same time as me. Bunch of crazy looking white dudes? You know what happened to them?”

“Well…” she started, and then looked sideways at the door to the hall, to be sure no one was listening. “Three of them showed up D.O.A., you know, Dead On Arrival.” Her tone was conspiratorial, as she lowered her voice to a whisper.

“And the other two?”

“Well, they were acting all crazy, I hear, and were really messed up. But after they got treated in the emergency room, some policemen and some orderlies took them over to a secure ward, and then they were gonna be transferred over to Green.”

Willie nodded. That was standard procedure. There was a prison ward in the basement at Green Hospital. As a large hospital, UAB would have had certain temporary means to hold a prisoner-patient during emergency care, but they would have transferred him as soon as they could.

“It’s too bad you didn’t wake up sooner,” Irene offered, as she turned to walk away. “You could have asked the policeman yourself. He was guarding the door to this room all night until just before your roommate woke up this morning.”

. . .

The orderly came in to help Brother Cooper get out of the wheelchair and back into bed. He was maybe twenty-five years old, and a hulk of a young man, easily weighing in at three hundred pounds of muscle. But he also looked tired. Judging from the look of him, he must have been on the job for twelve hours, and he was just waiting to clock out and go home.

Brother Cooper groaned as the exertion pulled on some stitches in his stomach. The orderly caught him under the arm and eased him towards the bed.

“Thank you son, you are certainly doing the Lord’s work here.”

“Thank you, sir. Just doing my job.”

“You look plum-tuckered out, son. You remind me of times when I’m up late writing a sermon, and the words just refuse to come out right.” Brother Cooper’s voice was soothing and supportive. “You’re working a double shift, I wager.”

“That’s right, reverend. I was actually working, I think, when you got brought in last night.”

“Well how about that? I tell ya, the Lord shines down blessings on a hard-working man.”

Willie smiled. The preacher may have disapproved of Willie’s playing on the nurse earlier, but here he was doing the same thing. Throw a couple of compliments their way, get to be their friend, then pump ‘em for information. This preacher wasn’t half bad, either.

“So I hope you didn’t have to deal with those, uh… criminals that were brought in with us last night? I tell ya, I’ve been praying for ‘em since I woke up this morning, but I don’t know what could get into a man to make him do some things-- ”

“A centipede, actually,” the orderly muttered and smiled, as he flipped the leg supports up and out of the way on the now-empty wheel chair.

“Come again?”

“Oh, nothing, reverend.”

“Come on, now, what did you say? Sounded like you said a centipede?”

“Well,” the orderly began, and peered sideways at Willie, who pretended to read the paper and not be listening. “I actually was one of the guys who helped the police load the two guys into the wagon to take them over to Green.”

The orderly paused. Brother Cooper waited. Willie held his breath. Don’t blow it, preacher, Willie thought. This kid knows something.

“I don’t want to gross you out, reverend.”

“Don’t worry, son,” Brother Cooper smiled, and pointed to his expansive waistline, where the orderly had likely seen the knife wound from last night, “I have a strong stomach.”

“Well, as we were loading this guy into the wagon last night, he puked. And… well, since I’ve been working here, I’ve seen a lot of people eat a lot of weird stuff. Especially crazy people. But this guy. He puked up a centipede… and a couple other bugs. And the really sick part? I swear to G—” He suddenly eyed the Bible in the preacher’s hand. “I swear… after it happened…the centipede crawled away.”

Last edited:

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) Everybody Finally Gets Together

Session 1 (5/07/2003) Everybody Finally Gets Together

“What does this mean, ‘Case Closed’? That doesn’t mean, like, they are done investigating, right?” Taylor was panicked, and apparently when she got panicked, her Korean accent grew much more pronounced. “I mean, that just mean they closed crime scene or something. Right? They still have some guy investigating this. I sure they do. I mean, they haven’t even interviewed us yet.”

Crystal was busy re-reading the police report, and trying to ignore how fast Taylor was driving through the rain. The police report offered almost nothing in the way of details. Just a very vague description of a scene of trespassers who were shot in self defense. At the bottom of the page in one corner was a contact list, where the police had collected the names and numbers of the people at the scene of the crime. Taylor and Crystal were listed there, as she expected. She saw the fat geeky guy’s name was Joe Empire, and a work phone number was listed for him. The other two contacts were listed as Willie Lamar and Guyzell Cooper. For contact information, the sheet just said ‘UAB Hospital’ and offered an official phone number to get their room number later.

Crystal shrugged and her leather jacket crinkled. She needed a new jacket. Heck, she wanted a new Harley and Signature Series leathers, but instead she had a Trek mountain bike and a thrift store leather jacket. “I think Case Closed means they are done with it.”

“As in, they are not investigating anything anymore?”

“As in, we were not wasting our time at that thrift store this morning.”

Taylor swallowed and kept driving.

Crystal looked again at the police report. The two women had talked for a long while over lunch. They had considered visiting the homeless shelter to check things out there, but had been more than a little nervous about what they might find. Picking up the police report was Crystal’s idea of buying time while she tried to think of something.

The situation reminded her of her field studies class with Dr. Running Bear. You had to dig if you wanted to find answers. And if you can not dig in one place, dig somewhere else.

“You have any plans tonight?”

“I was supposed to work, but for now the library is closed until tomorrow night.”

“Okay, then how about we get some help?”

. . .

The phone rang. A male voice picked up.

“Who is this?”

“What? Huh? Is this Joe Empire?” Crystal was caught off guard.

“Don’t say my name on the phone! Who is this? Ten seconds!””

“This…wait…so this is Joe Empire?”

Click. The line went dead.

“I think he just hung up on me.”

. . .

“Who is this?”

“Is this Joe Empire?”

“Don’t say my name on the phone! Jeez! Who is this? Five seconds!”

“This is Crystal Lassiter. I met you--”

Click. The line went dead.

. . .

“Who is this?”

“This is the Native American girl you met last night.”

“Hey baby! I knew you would be calling me. I could tell the way you were eyeing me last night--”

Click. Crystal hung up the line.

. . .

“Who is this?”

“Listen up fat boy! This Taylor Chu, from library!”

“Oh…the Chinese girl…”

“I’m not Chinese, I’m Korean!”

“Sure…whatever…ten seconds…actually five now…”

“Meet us at the hospital tonight at seven. ”

“Why?”

Click. Taylor hung up the line.

. . .

Crystal followed Taylor down the hospital corridor. The university hospital was a massive maze-like complex, encompassing something like fourteen city blocks, and then morphing into a medical school and urban college campus as it continued sprawling on towards the west side of town, swallowing one building after another as it took over Southside.

They had parked four blocks away and had been wandering through hallways trying to find the room. At last, they turned down a hallway and Crystal saw Joe, standing by a room door, studying a chart. He was wearing the same trench and backpack, but now he was wearing a Superman baseball cap pulled down low over his eyes and a T-shirt that read “Origins”. When he saw them approach, he shoved the chart back into its holder on the wall and pretended to be looking for the room number.

Crystal brushed past him and pushed open the door. She heard Taylor mutter to him behind her, “Nice phone manners, fat boy.”

And then Crystal saw Willie Lamar and Brother Cooper.

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) In This Together

Session 1 (5/07/2003) In This Together

“So, let me get this straight, just to make sure I’m not missing anything,” Brother Cooper was a natural when it came to speaking to crowds. It was just a gift he had been given by the Father, and he used it as the Father guided him.

“Last Wednesday, some vandals broke into a church. That might be unrelated, but it might somehow be connected to what happened to us, based on general intuition. Then last night, five men, who got their clothes from a shelter for the homeless, attacked us with knives. Then, as we were being treated in the hospital, the police closed the case without any investigation, and the press never mentioned it either… and then the thugs that survived the attack started vomiting up bugs. Is that the extent of the story as we currently understand it?”

The group was silent for a minute. Their story certainly sounded preposterous, when laid out in its entirety. But they were quite certain about each piece, and none doubted the deadliness of what they had seen so far.

“Well…there may be a little more to it,” Joe admitted.

Brother Cooper raised an eyebrow and coaxed Joe on, “Well, what do you have, Joseph?”

Joe unzipped his backpack and removed the coin book he had taken from the library. He flipped it open to the yellowed photograph he had found earlier.

The group all gathered around the book (as much as Willie and Brother Cooper could lean in from their beds) and looked at the photograph. The Ward Numismatic Society of 1924 smiled back at them. A dozen faces from eighty years ago, and yet they each saw their own likeness from within that crowd. As the looked on, Joe related all that he had learned about G.B. Ward and the founding of the library and of the Society and of the suburb of Vestavia.

“Where did you get this, son?” Brother Cooper demanded, his voice stern but not angry.

“The library---”

“That’s a library book! You stole a library book, fat boy! You took books from library!”

“Hey, now, easy there, Tae-Bo! I borrowed this book from the library. That’s what libraries are for.” Joe shoved the book back into his backpack and zipped it up again.

“You didn’t check book out! You stole book!” Taylor’s accent was back again and thicker than ever. She apparently took the library thing pretty seriously.

“Please, Ms. Taylor, I’m afraid I have to agree with Joe here for a moment. I agree he should not normally take things that don’t belong to him, but I would say he should hold onto that book until we figure this thing out.”

The others nodded assent, and Joe smiled.

“Joe?” Willie spoke up. “Why, specifically, did you go to the library looking for coin-collecting books last night?”

Joe paused and looked nervously around the room. He took a deep breath and began, “I had a weird dream last night.”

Joe then filled everyone in on his dream about the coins and the comic book. When he was done, everyone looked shocked and somehow more deeply afraid. One by one, they each related their own recent dreams. Willie and the coins on his grandfather’s dead eyes. Crystal and the evil cowboy with the silver dollar badge. And Taylor, with her dream of reading a book in the library, but the book was about coins, and the coins flew out of the book and attacked her. Brother Cooper finished by telling his dream of the coin with the Bible quote in his collection plate. As the group listened to the end of his tale, he picked out the page from his Bible, and quoted it back to them:

Genesis 42:28
"My silver has been returned," he said to his brothers. "Here it is in my sack." Their hearts sank and they turned to each other trembling and said, "What is this that God has done to us?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases