• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meditations on BECMI/Classic

WheresMyD20

First Post
Dausuul said:
BECMI = Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortals.

Classic D&D came in five boxed sets. Basic, the red boxed set, covered levels 1-3. Expert, the blue box, covered 4-14. Companion, the cyan box, covered 15-25. Master, the black box, covered 26-36. Immortals, the gold box, covered what happened when you went beyond 36th level and transcended mortality to become a god.
Also, each of the boxed sets focused on a different aspect of D&D.

Basic: Dungeon adventuring
Expert: Wilderness adventuring
Companion: Strongholds (including armies, warfare, kingdoms, etc.)
Master: Becoming a god
Immortal: Being a god

Spatula

Explorer
Dausuul said:
Actually, I'd say 3E spells are the natural consequence of trying to impose balance after the fact on the BECMI/AD&D spell list, rather than scrapping the whole durn thing and starting over with a better sense of what belongs where.
Right, that's what I was trying to get at. 3e was trying to preserve all the elements of D&D as-is while making sure that no one PC got to rule the roost, as mages often did in prior editions. 4e has thrown out those elements and re-integrated (some of) them into a wholly new system.

Dausuul said:
What I'd prefer would be to kick animate dead upstairs to the level 7-8 range (spell level, that is--character level 13 to 15), and make sure it could only raise fairly weak undead. That wouldn't unbalance dungeon crawling, since regular human-type skeletons die if a CR 15 monster so much as walks by on the other side of the street.
Disposable minions are worth much more than their combat value when dungeon crawling. :)

I don't see a 4e version being any different, in the end, than the 3e version. Perhaps it will express the limitations differently (skeletons fall apart after 8 hours, instead of the HD limit), but then it doesn't have the same design needs for the spell. Animate dead is a world-builder spell, used to explain how necromancers create undead hordes (uncontrolled hordes in 3e's case :) ) - available to NPCs and PCs alike. 4e has no need for it, because it doesn't express how the world works in mechanical terms - undead hordes exist because the DM says so. I honestly doubt it will appear in the game in any form until they get to a necromancer class, and perhaps not even then.

The same goes for just about any other spell that had a wall of text in 3e. I don't think many, if any, of them will be present in the PHB in a recognizable form, based on the lvl 10-16 wizard spells. Polymorph and related spells like magic jar are probably gone for time being, because that's a huge can of worms. We know that summoning isn't going to be in the PHB, and that mind-control effects have been punted off to a future psi-supplment.

Dausuul said:
We don't yet know if 4E will have that same broadening of focus at later levels
My guess is no, at least not in the core books. Not only is it a different kind of game, with different concerns, than dungeon delving (and a kind that not everyone is interested in), but it's also more about role-playing and doesn't neccessarily need explicit rules support.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I love Classic D&D. That said, I always scratch my head during conversations like this, since I've run every edition of D&D like I ran BECMI. Maybe I'm spoiled with players who don't care if I forget rules. Or maybe I've just been playing AD&D and 3e wrong all these years. ;)

PeelSeel2

Explorer
BECMI is fun because it enforces archtypes, and the rules are easy. It challenges the character from 1st to at least 10th (I have never played it beyond 10th), with a real fear of loss if certain encounters do not go right. DM'ing was a breeze. Setting up adventures was easy. It is my favorite version of D&D.

I have high hopes for 4e. From what I have read and seen, it enforces archetypes with depth, and the rules are easy. It challenges at all levels of play. You can easily install the fear of loss into encounters. DM'ing appears like it will be a breeze. I am finding out tonight; creating my first adventure tonight for our gaming session on Friday where all players will pick up play test characters and give it a whirl.

I was talking with one of the players and I said we should do Keep on the Borderlands. That is by far my FAVORITE module of all time. I have thought about it alot in the context of 4th Edition. The Keep is the last point of light before the darkness; The hearty souls of the Keep watch for caravans coming from across the borderlands, and see other caravans off on their journey through the borderlands. Unseen in this picture has come a vile cleric of Orcus, who has hired small motley groups of disparate humanoid mercenaries for his ends.....

I could go on for hours!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads