D&D 5E Meet Frankenstein's Monster!

Mary Shelley's creation was undoubtedly an inspiration for the D&D flesh golem. Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book.

Mary Shelley's creation was undoubtedly an inspiration for the D&D flesh golem. Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book.

frankenstein.png

Weiley31

Legend
Assuming by Adam you mean Frankenstein's creature: I don't think he was intellectually superior. He wasn't a grunting brute, but to my recollection he have no knowledge of really how intelligent he was. He definitely made some unwise decisions and he was not capable of re-creating the Dr.'s brilliance. But I don't recall anything the indicated superior intelligence. Just that he was intelligent.
The problem is that Frank Jr/Adam/The Creature/Meatbag/Etc never REALLY got a chance to explore his intelligence or anything due to all the crap going on after he came to be.

If Vic and his "son" could've talked things out and reached a different conclusion, who knows.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Isn't Frankenstein's monster just a flesh golem? I mean, that's where the whole 'flesh golem' thing came from...
No more than Dracula is just a vampire or Lancelot is just a knight.

These guys are the paragons, the originals, the inspirations for the many carbon copies that came after.

He inspired TSR to make a generic flesh golem as Dracula inspired them to make a general vampire. But these aren’t the generic versions.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Nice work as always, but as this is Frankenstein's monster I am going to quibble a bit with the stats. I can't believe I'm going to be that gut, but I am. I think his Wisdom is too high. I don't think the creature's actions in the book indicate he was very wise (murder, confronting the family, etc.). Personally I would drop wisdom and raise dexterity. The creature was very athletic, not sure it extended to "acrobatic" but I think a bump in DEX is warranted.

Also, how can he not be skilled in "Intimidate?" That seems to be the force of motivation for most people that interact with him.

Yeah I think Wis is too high as well, personally Id reduce Wis and increase Int (12) and then Dex (10)

dave2008

Legend
It's not based on the book, but rather the original film. Have you watched the movie?
The flesh golem might be, but this is a stat block is for Frankenstein's monster from the book, which is nothing like the Boris Karloff version.

To clarify, the excerpt states: "We're going for one of the - if not the - most iconic creatures in all of literature,...If you don't know the story of Mary Shelley's famous novel yet,..."

And yes, I have seen that movie at least once and snips of it a few more times.

Remove ads

Remove ads