Memoirs of a Lawyer turned Dungeoncrawler (Updated May 13, 2008)

Altalazar

First Post
Tirlanolir said:
I've been practicing for 8 years. In my gaming group we have a 3rd year law student and another lawyer as well (the other lawyer has been practicing for 3 years). I look forward to reading more of your story hour!

I have yet to game with any other lawyers - how's the rules lawyering? ;)

Oh, and I just wanted to post to say that the reason there's been no update is there was no game. The last one had to be called off because two players couldn't make it, and the next few weeks the DM and one of the players (his wife) will be in Hawaii on vacation, so we won't be resuming playing until November 11. But then updates should resume. Thus far, we've had two sessions cancelled due to lack of players - but this is typical for adults with various commitments gaming. By the next date, we should all be free for a while.

Altalazar

First Post
Cordozo – Chapter Thirteen – Bandits fur real

It turned out Derris knew more than he was admitting, but about as much as we expected, given his dramatic departure from Joseph’s Inn. There were bandits, of a sort, attacking the village. And, to no one’s surprise (except perhaps Ee, who is surprised by most things) the bandits were really the villagers themselves, changed into beasts against their will. Transformations of a different sort became my bane.
My mind began to reach out to Derris. I probed deep into the inner recesses of his mind. At the same time, I was exploring the newfound reaches of my own fractured mind, and I found something disturbing. It was so disturbing that it overwhelmed my senses and I found myself lying on the ground, my companions around me, looking on with concern. Ee told me, with his usual aplomb, “You go down. You not look good.” “You down long time.” Three coherent sentences in a row from Ee was likely a record. And it was, as always, refreshingly echoed by Ee’s thoughts, which never varied from what came from his mouth.
I tried to get up, but found the world spin around me before finally deciding to come to a stop somewhere just behind my head. My companions carried me to a healer’s home and left me there to recover while they dealt with the evils of the world. I decided to use the time to focus my mind and discover what else it had in store for me.

Cordozo – Chapter Fourteen – Long travels, short words

As I lay recovering from my mental travails, the others of my troupe managed to save the village, free a princess, slay a dragon, and clear an entire lair of evil, refurbish it, and sell it for the forces of good. Or so I gathered from the excited utterances of Ee as he tried to explain everything that I missed before he dumped a rather large number of coins onto my lap as I lay in bed. “Here you share.”
I stood up and picked up the coins and tried to arrange them into a semblance of order. I hoped, deep down, that my newfound vigor was not solely due to the sudden wealth I found myself with. Upon further reflection several days later, as I traveled down the road toward the town of Elton, I realized that the coin really did not mean that much to me. I could not even think of anything I would spend my newfound wealth to obtain. Perhaps my cynicism has found new purpose. Or perhaps my ambitions are so high that mere coin would not suffice to achieve them.
Then we were on the road, for reasons obscure to me, but for which I decided I cared not to ask (nor to mind probe). It was refreshing to be going somewhere without knowing why and without worrying about motives or anything else. I enjoyed the ride, lost in my thoughts, which included some idle speculation about our new companion, a warrior-priest named Krynyn who apparently was saved by my companions on one of missions breathlessly related to me by Ee. I decided deliberately to keep my mind from his. Perhaps it was due to my desire to be left with my own thoughts. Perhaps it was also a selfish desire not to risk my conciousness or even my sanity at pressing my powers too much.
I decided instead to play with myself a game where I’d try and guess his motives and character merely by watching him. At a later time, I could always probe him and see if my conclusions were correct. After all, I needed to keep my skills with perceiving others intact for that day when I find someone I am unable to read. I knew that such an eventuality could come because in my ruminations in my bed, I discovered within myself a talent to stop others from reading my own mind, should I so wish it.

Altalazar

First Post
Book III

Cordozo – Chapter Fifteen – Elton – a town with bruises, and later, long, pointy sticks

Elton was a sleepy little village nestled in the mountains outside of Desbury. And when I say sleepy, I mean bruised, battered, and broken. The townsfolk were in bad shape, as were their huts. They were in the process of patching the huts and the villagers when we walked into town. None were too willing to talk to us until we came upon a middle-aged man named Sanders who seemed happier than his condition should warrant. His bloody smile seemed to be tied to his belief that the village was chosen by the gods for something special. He related to us a fascinating tale.
Some nights ago, in the middle of the day, there was a new star in the sky above Elton. This star settled to the ground from high in the sky and resolved itself into the figure of a small, unearthly beautiful, blue boy. Blue in the chromatic sense, not the mood sense, which incidentally seemed to take over Sander’s face as he related the boy’s current disposition. “They took him!”
Piecing together his story in a more chronological fashion, we learned that the boy was seen as a revered, almost godlike figure to the villagers, despite the fact that he was unable to even speak to them until after several days of listening to the villagers. He did manage to (divinely?) learn the villager’s language (common) in a very short period of time, though from what we were told of his progress, he likely would only be able to share a deeply philosophical conversation with Ee.
Thus we came to the blue part of the story (not the boy), his eventual kidnapping by what could only be described as crosses between ogres and giant bugs. The minions of someone known as Booth the Lesser, who was apparently a blue ogre, though it was lost on me whether this was chromatic or mood related.
No sooner had Sanders described the blue boy’s abduction than Krynyn, Ee, Marcus, and Morwen were off in search of him in the caves of “The Lesser” Booth. They soon returned, in what I have now learned is known in the adventuring world as a “tactical retreat” to lick their wounds, describing caves with ogre-bugs on the ceiling , long spears, and lots of pain. And also with, much to Ee’s chagrin, the loss of his dear Bertha (a lovely, if often bloody, battleaxe).
We spent the night recovering (well, they recovered, I meditated on life) and then returned to the scene of the withdrawal.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixteen – Caves, ogre-bugs, and spears, oh boy! Blue boy.

Ee ventured boldly forth into the caves, his glow-stick held high. Ee ventured boldly in the wrong direction until Morwen offered a course correction. My specially tuned, ultra-sensitive, deeply-perceptive psionic senses were completely unneeded to discern that letting Ee lead and Morwen act as his wisdom backup was about the dumbest thing we could possibly do. So we pressed on.
When we reached the large chamber that was the scene of much bloody combat, there were no bodies to be found and Bertha had been carried off. Ee looked like he was about to cry, until we noticed more ogre-bugs ahead, on the ceiling, and he had something to kill.
The tricky thing about ogre-bugs with long, pointy sticks is that they can jab you and you can’t jab them. Their thoughts were about the simplest I’ve ever sensed – which in its own way was refreshing, if one leaves out the parts where they fantasize about ripping us all into strips of fresh meat and eating us alive.
I stood in the back and crushed them with my mind, sending tendrils out that felt much stronger than ever before. Much to my surprise, I dispatched one with my first attempt, sending it crashing from the ceiling to the floor. My companions dispatched the other one after much dancing about between the reach of its long spear. I even fired a crossbow at it, though that bolt was fated for another purpose than anything remotely useful to us.
My mind was almost spent just after the last one was dispatched, so I suggested we rest, but we pressed on.
The corridor soon led to a large chamber, which went beyond the range of even our cleric’s magical light. But in the shadows ahead to the left we could see two of those creatures standing upon the floor, not the ceiling (and thus not so far out of reach). Even more relevant was the small, apparently blue figure on the floor between and behind them. We could not tell if he was still alive, though I sensed something. Ee immediately charged them, covering almost half of the distance to them before he almost killed everyone.
I am beginning to think my abilities give me some sort of precognition. As the others stepped out into the large hall and carefully advanced on the creatures (well, then there was Ee) I held back and stayed just outside the room, in the corridor. Which was fortunate as Ee triggered a wire that then unceremoniously dropped the entire ceiling of the room down on everyone in it (short of the creatures, of course). Ee was still ready to charge, but some quick shouting convinced him to return for healing. I argued for a retreat to rest, my brain nearly spent, our healing nearly gone, everyone’s bodies nearly dead (but mine). Ee and Morwen initially both voted to continue on without stopping even to heal. So I counted that as a vote to heal. I’ve found that whatever course of action they dictate is usually a good barometer for deciding to do the opposite. Marcus agreed with me, and so Ee finally agreed to “me heal first.” The creatures, of course, immediately ran up to the ceiling, the trap having been sprung. Little buggy bastards.
Unfortunately, “me heal first” led Ee to determine that as soon as a heal spell was cast on him, he was off and running again, even before anyone else had their wounds tended to. I could only shake my head (from the safety of the hallway).
A few more wasted crossbow bolts later and my companions had efficiently dispatched the two creatures from the ceiling and freed the blue boy from his shackles and rescued him from his fate. Unfortunately, blue boy (whose thoughts revealed his name to be Arithel) had other ideas and immediately ran deeper into the complex, looking for more creatures to dispatch to “save” the villagers. Considering his rather fragile disposition, Morwen chased after him. I used what remaining mental energy I had left in one last desperate effort to stop him. He was not very happy to be stopped in his tracks. He quickly deduced it was me, perhaps because of the large shaft of light surrounding my head. Not wanting to antagonize him, I let him go. Some staggering, but quick footwork snagged Arithel and stopped him from getting himself killed. This despite Ee’s shouts of encouragement to “kill ‘em all!”
After a half-dozen similar combats against killer ogre-bugs, we cleared out the complex and returned Arithel to the overjoyed villagers. They were in for a treat, too late to save the boy (of course).

Cordozo – Chapter Eighteen – Another star falls, not in time for anything but a denouement.

Soon after the boy was returned, another star appeared in the sky and descended to the ground. This was a large blue woman of a rather alien visage. Her name was Celentra. I guessed she was his mother. I was wrong, though I could have argued she was the equivalent in a court of law, since she did admit to being his guardian. Given his predicament, I also could other legal action taken against her for losing track of her charge. Idly, I wondered if his true parents would need the services of a barrister. Before I could offer Arithel my card, he was carried off into the sky. Even more idly, I wondered if his “guardian” watched the whole thing, hoping for his demise, and when it didn’t happen, decided to come collect him. Perhaps my cynicism hadn’t quite left after all.

Altalazar

First Post
Book IV

Cordozo – Chapter Nineteen – Back to Desbury, just in time to “save” the Pink Lady (after the Blue Boy)

Rumors of her kidnapping reached us even before we reached the gates of Desbury. I could almost hear the tendrils in the air. The worry. The gossip. The sometimes heartless speculation. Count Sebastian of Desbury’s twelve-year-old daughter, Lady Alexandra, has been kidnapped. Her carriage was attacked outside the city. Everyone in her entourage was killed and she was now missing. The Count was desperate to have her returned to him unharmed, and was offering gold and riches to any who could rescue her. My cynical mind calculated that any ransom asked must have been prohibitive for the Count to be able to make such an offer. Her life was worth so much to him. Funny how he never seemed to find much value for the lives of the commoners that his laws sent through my courtrooms.
We quickly took to the streets, heading south to her last known location. As fortune would have it, we saw a diminutive form running toward us in the darkness, screaming for help before she was cut down by arrows from two of five pursuers. The town watch came running, but as is usual, they were advancing at a pace guaranteed to make them arrive after the danger was over. I couldn’t help but recall how my whole illustrious adventuring career began as we ran toward the fallen form of who we assumed was the kidnapped Princess Alexandra.
Scholar Ee grabbed Big Bertha and ran toward her pursuers. Marcus, ever mindful of the health of others, made a few gestures of his holy symbol in the fallen princess’s direction, sending the healing power of Pelor into her body. And thus, before a word could be spoken, combat was joined.
Not that our esteemed opponents did not try to parley with us. They eloquently shouted “you don’t understand!” even as they shot arrows at us and swung large, heavy metal instruments at us and Lady Alexandra. Ever mindful of the need for good rhetoric, I shouted back “if you want to talk, stop attacking us!” before crushing their minds. I didn’t expect they’d stop, but at least now I could truthfully testify to the town watch that we tried to talk but they wouldn’t listen. Not that truth usually mattered to the watch.
The front two pursuers fell quickly, the remaining three fled. Ee did not even skip a beat before pursuing. Marcus, ever mindful, healed the two that fell, just in time for the town guard to appear. Oh wonderful. We are “saved.”
I could hear in their minds the usual pitter patter of their tiny intellects as they prepared to lock everyone up without regard to truth. But then it quickly evaporated as soon as they laid eyes upon the Princess. Their tiny ape-like brains quickly were filled with fear of the Count’s wrath, followed by elation at her apparent good health. Their esteemed leader, Sir Ishan, knelt at her feet and kissed her tiny hands before standing and facing us. The princess then announced that “my father will tell of your great deeds and reward you for your valor.” Wonderful. Maybe I can get some upscale clients.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty – Grand plans – spoiled little brat demon (dead)

Count Sebastian was so happy to see his daughter, I almost believed him to be a decent man. But then even scoundrels have family. He set up a grand ball in our honor, something he invited all of the great (and not so great) nobles of Desbury to attend. He promised to reward us handsomely at the ball and advanced us each one hundred and fifty gold coins to dress for the occasion. I guess he assumed rabble such as us would not have our own wardrobe. I could sense within him worry of embarrassment at seeing dirty, smelly adventurers at his grand celebration. Subtle, count. Subtle. We were also to be the recipients of the “Star of Desbury,” something I’m sure will look good collecting dust on a shelf at my residence. Then again, it could get me a lot of business with the upscale clients of the town. That is, if they even bother to hire a barrister before they bribe the judge or use their influence to make a charge disappear.
The Count apparently did not extend his hospitality to his own home, instead buying us a place at an inn in town, the Golden Goblet. At least his snubbing our staying in his home came with gilded edges. Before we left for the inn, I happened to catch sight of our little Princess heading toward her chambers and run into her old, faithful nurse. Surprisingly, she shunned her nurse before stopping and then smiling and taking her with her into her chambers. Ok, so the little Princess is really a demon. I figured it was best just to keep that to myself. Revealing her to be a demon to the Count, perhaps revealing the real Princess was dead and gone, was not a great conversation starter. It couldn’t go anywhere but downhill from there. So time to go shopping for the ball.
Marcus suggested that perhaps it would be unwise to dress too nobly for the occasion. He suggested that the gold given was to buy two outfits for the ball of good quality. I took that as an invitation to add my own gold to the money the count gave us and purchase noble vestments to rival the richest of nobles. I couldn’t wait to see what the assembled nobles of Desbury had to think about that.
We spent the day shopping for our vestments, the heralds announcing the evenings ball echoing through the streets, before returning to our rooms at the Golden Goblet to prepare for the evening’s festivities. There we found a middle-aged man nursing some bloody wounds sitting at the mahogany desk in the foyer outside of our suites.
“I’m not here to fight you,” were the first words out of his mouth. I believed him, but I also sensed that he’d like to get up from his polished oak chair and slice all of our throats for our “stupidity.” He then put voice to his thoughts, berating us for our causing a “bloodbath at the stroke of midnight” where he said we’d condemned over one hundred people to die. Nice to meet you too, old man.
John Swift, as the old man called himself, said he was a member of the “Masters of Minutemen Society.” And, he said - wait for it – “The young girl isn’t a girl at all – she’s dead. Congratulations. She’s really a terror fiend – a type of vampire that can only feed on royal blood.” Ok, close enough to demon. Though all this “feeding only on royal blood” didn’t sound half bad to me. Well, but the Count hadn’t paid us yet. And I decided I wasn’t quite that cynical. Not yet. Though the old man’s sarcasm was starting to grate on me. Sure, I knew she was a demon. But why berate the others. It was a good thing that Ee doesn’t know what sarcasm is, or John would swiftly find himself introduced to Bertha. But no, Swift could not let up, and so he finished his speech with bold pronouncements about how the “real feast tonight will be of rich blood, courtesy of the heroes of the city” followed by a sarcastic bow, if such a thing is even possible.
He then filled us in with the story of what really happened to the Princess’ caravan. It was attacked by a Fiend summoned by the Wizard Favrnal that escaped his control. The fiend then killed everyone in the caravan, including the Princess, who ran away when the attack began. The Masters of Minutemen society captured the beast and recovered the Princess’ body, but then the fiend escaped, and that’s where we entered the scene. I held back a few sarcastic comments about how they could have been a little more forthcoming with words and less so with arrows when encountering us in the street, but then I changed my mind and said them anyway.
Just to prove his point, he had one of his men carry in the canvas-wrapped body of the Princess to show us she was truly dead. Nothing like carrying the corpse of a twelve-year old girl just to win an argument.
The old man reiterated his favorite refrain, “it will feed on the blood of every noble.”
Ee, ever the eloquent voice of reason, responded, “YOU capture, YOU kill.”
The old man could only then whine about how all of his men are scattered, hiding, or in chains after being rounded up by the city watch. I held back an offer to represent them in court. I could make quite a lot of coin representing so many. Thoughts of coin led my mind to my bulging bags of unspent booty. I suddenly had a wonderful idea of just where to spend it all. The germ of a plan began to form in my mind. “I think the ball will definitely be on for tonight,” I said to my assembled comrades.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-One – Stupid town watch – Gang aft agley

Just before midnight, the princess stood before the assembled nobles, including her father the count, and raised her arms up in salute to the heroes assembled before her. “Thank you for your last gift! Your gift of… life!”
Her body then exploded outward into messy, slimy tentacles covered with spiked protrusions. The tentacles then flared out from her body, eviscerating the heroes gathered before her, cutting them to ribbons and sending their lifeless corpses flying through the air out into the crowd of stunned nobles. The nobles just stood there dumbly, their jaws dropping down into their fancy drinks as they failed to fully comprehend what was happening before them.
That’s when the REAL heroes arrived, namely my companions and myself, dressed in fancy clothes soaked to the skin with human excrement and well torn. Which was not quite the plan I had in mind.

To fully explain requires backing up four hours earlier. Four long hours. Four hours I’d rather not repeat.

My plan was simple. We needed to get the Count on our side. I figured the Count would not take kindly to news that his daughter was really dead, if he would even talk to us at all. I thought we needed to both break the news of what really happened to him and also reunite him with his real daughter. Thus, I took my hard-earned coin to Marcus’ temple, along with Alexandra’s body, and asked the temple to raise her from the dead. Marcus intervened and suggested we first speak with her from beyond the grave and ask her how she died and if she really wanted to live again. I demurred to him in these matters – I was not used to dealing with such matters of life and death except in the cavalier way lives are usually disposed of in court.
Her corpse only confirmed what I already knew to be true – she was killed by a demon and was quite ready to be alive again “yes, thank you, and hurry up!” Thus, Morwen’s cynical asides about the Count abusing her and her wanting to die (and even perhaps being in on her demise) was unfounded. It may be possible that Morwen is even more cynical than myself. Ee would prove most cynical of all, almost to the point of his own demise. But that was after midnight, and I wish to explain further what happened before.
With coin from all of my companions we raised Alexandra from the dead, who proved quite grateful. We then explained the entire story to the head of the temple and asked him to send an urgent, emergency summons to the Count. My intention was to get the Count reunited with his real daughter, her heart beating, so we could tell him the whole story, we could confirm it, and then we could then ask the Count to let the Ball go on as planned, except now the only blood in the bathtub would be from the demon as we set up the perfect ambush. We knew when and where the demon intended to strike. We had hours to plan, buy fancy clothes for the city watch and the Minutemen, whom could then be sprung from jail by the Count (their innocence proven) and then both the watch and the Minutemen could attend the ball, in disguise (a costume ball!) in noble clothes, waiting for the demon to make “her” move.
To this end, Marcus went off to secure fancy clothes and masks, the message to the Count was dispatched by the temple, Morwen went to the palace to keep an eye on the demon herself (to make sure she did not get wind of our planned ambush) and I headed for the nearest station of the town watch to start to gather as many of them as possible for the ambush at the palace. As I discovered later, Ee also went off on an errand of his own, to find John Swift. Fate would have Morwen succeed at Ee’s task even as she failed at her own.
Dressed in my finest noble fare, I reached the guard station some minutes walk from the temple. I found but a lone guard there, a sergeant, who informed me that the palace guard had been doubled and so there were few watchmen left in the streets. I decided to trust him and inform him fully as to the awful truth about the demon and the Count’s daughter. He was skeptical, but agreed to accompany me to the temple, especially after I told him the Count had been summoned there as well. When I returned to the temple, I found things had not gone quite so well for Morwen.
Morwen returned to the temple around three and a half hours before midnight carrying disturbing news. She had not been able to gain entry even to the outer palace. Instead, she found John Swift again, this time with the news that the last time Mr. Swift crossed our paths, the son of the Captain of the Watch spied his departure from our rooms. This good son then went directly to dear-old dad and informed him we were working with the Minutemen to work a scam to fake a kidnapping and rescue of the Count’s daughter just to get a monetary reward. Thus, the palace guard was doubled and the heroes of the day were to be the town watch and not my companions and me. The Captain bought it and we had no chance to even attempt to talk him out of it. It suddenly seemed unlikely the Count would come to the temple, though the request was from the priests, not the “kidnappers.”
Barney, the Sergeant of the watch who had accompanied me, was unaware of the situation at the palace. I quickly informed him of it, ALL of it, and suggested that he go inform the Captain of the error of his ways.
Fortunately, Morwen had another route into the Palace. Swift had provided a map to the sewers beneath the city to Morwen before he melted into the night once more. Nice. A dirty sewer. Filled with failed magical experiments of the Minutemen. I was beginning to think this adventuring life never allows one to make a proper, dignified entrance into high society. Not that there was much dignified or even high about the society kept at the palace.
With time running out, we waited for Ee’s return to the temple. He finally did so a mere two hours before midnight. We quickly left, with instructions to Sergeant Barney to leave ten minutes after our departure to correct the record with the Captain on our behalf. If he had half a brain, perhaps we’d have an ambush waiting for the demon after all.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Two – Descent into the depths of the excrement

The sewers were about what I expected, only smellier, dirtier, and apparently laced with traps. Of the latter, I could confirm with no fear of hearsay, because our erstwhile “not-a-thief” Morwen failed to notice one which I stepped upon and promptly fell into the sewage below. To make the record complete, it should be noted that there were iron spikes waiting in the water where I fell. One would think such things were completely unnecessary to efficient sanitation operations. On the one bright spot of the otherwise miserable fall, the spikes made good handholds to prevent my being swept into the current of excrement and drowned. After that, I let Ee carry me over the rough patches. Ee was greatly aided in this by his slippers that allowed him to walk along the walls and even the ceiling. Utterly amazing what these adventurers can do.
Unfortunately, the next trouble I found was not a trap, but was instead a beast that defies description. My first warning of its existence was when its slimy touch met my sewage-soaked clothes, turning my body into a quivering mass of gelatinous matter. It took all of my mental discipline to prevent myself from melting away entirely. Krynyn met a similar fate. We managed to hold ourselves together long enough to retreat to his temple and seek restoration from his god. Thus another hour was burned with no real progress made before we descended back into the sewage.
Time was running out, and the sewers were a maze of muck and dead ends blocked by thick iron gratings. When we could progress no further, our goal almost in sight (at least if Swift’s map was accurate, which fortunately it turned out to be), we found a grate barring our way.
Next to the grate was a slot in the wall holding a silver dagger and silver characters adorned the wall: “TNESSFFTT___”
We all stopped and stared. At the wall. At each other. “I hate puzzles,” muttered Morwen. “Riddles? Ok, the nobles are dead, let’s go home,” I thought to myself. The echo of my words down the walls startled me. “Oh, did I say that out loud?”
After much fussing and worrying from my companions, I put my lawyer’s mind to work, grabbed that silver dagger, and drew an “O” on the wall for the final character, sending the grate sliding into the wall. Onward we went.
“What the hell…?” asked Morwen. “Ten Nine Eight Seven Six Five Four Three Two One,” I replied, before pressing onward. The silver dagger I slipped into my tattered clothes. I figured I had earned it. And thus I obtained my first and only weapon, beyond the borrowed crossbow I sometimes used to waste crossbow bolts.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Three – Ee finds his voice – and a rather large number of arrows

And now back to where we began – just before midnight…

The end of the sewers in sight, we ran up into the palace, just in time to hear the carnage begin. The poor, useless town watch “heroes” met their end, an end they could have avoided had they listened to us in the first place. I found it hard to feel much sympathy for them. I found myself falling behind, as usual, as my brave companions rushed forward to fight the huge demon in the midst of its noble-blood buffet.
My companions, brave though they were, had great difficulty denting the demon’s huge, tough hide. Thus, my moment arrived, I rushed as fast as I could into the ballroom and crushed the demon with my mind. I felt its grey matter soften in my mental grasp, a shriek of pain in my mind. This had gotten personal. My clothes were ruined. My hair was full of excrement. This demon was going to DIE.
Several ineffectual swings and shots later, I focused my mind again on the demon, its tendrils surrounding its otherworldly grey-matter. I tensed myself mentally and then I squeezed with every last ounce of strength I could muster. This time, the mental anguish was almost audible as I felt its brain turn to liquid in its head. The demon collapsed to the polished marble ballroom floor in a heap, its brains slowly dripping out of its ears.
Just in time to “save” us, the Captain of the guard ran into the room, twenty men armed with longbows in tow, apparently to help us, his “misconception” having been corrected by the good Sergeant of the Watch.
It was at this point that Ee began his long tirade about the stupidity of the Captain of the guard, right in front of the Count and the entire nobility of the kingdom (well, those that were not already snacked upon by the demon). Ee used his usual eloquence. “You so stupid. You could have stop this. You stupid. You so stupid.”
I tried to explain to the Captain that Ee was just upset and not to listen to him. Twenty arrows later, Ee was almost dead and I finally had to lock his brain with my own to shut him up and save his life. Ee was, needless to say, not amused.
We thankfully managed to exit the palace with Ee intact, though it did take some time to pry all of the arrows out of his torso. Privately, I tried to explain to Ee that of COURSE the town watch and nobility are stupid. You just don’t SAY it to them. Even more privately, to myself, I wished I could have told the Captain and the rest of the aristocracy exactly what Ee said, only with a wider variety of adjectives and adverbs. Ee will likely never work for the officialdom of Desbury ever again.
Ee even went so far as to refuse to receive the Star of Desbury, a reward those who showed up received from the Count for truly saving his daughter. The Star, a platinum brooch set with a flawless sapphire, seems to magically improve one’s social standing, especially within the walls of Desbury. It will go nicely with my silver dagger as a souvenir of this otherwise forgettable experience with the excrement of society. And I didn’t like the raw sewage, either.
One final note: Ee’s disdain for accolades did not extend to the chest of two thousand gold coins offered to each of us from the Count’s personal account. Though I can’t vouch for what he actually did with those coins. I heard stray thoughts of his indicating a strong desire to give them to whomever would annoy the Captain the most. I must say, in a world filled with deceptive, double-dealing, “noble” hypocrites, Ee’s nakedly-voiced disdain and directly-expressed revenge is, as always, a breath of fresh air.

Altalazar

First Post
Book V

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Four – Marcus sees the light – and then sees dinner – but no one sees me

This past week has been a special one for Marcus. Apparently, those of his faith have a ritual once a year (or so?) where all priests take to the streets wearing nothing but loincloths and their positive dispositions, exposed to the elements, and without any of their divinely inspired magic. And thus I found at least one non-cynical reason to favor my chosen profession over that of my erstwhile companion’s.
After days of this sort of environmental self-flagellation, Marcus had a vision, presumably from his deity. The shining path of light coming down from the heavens was, perhaps, a small clue to its divine origin. And what did this shining shaft of light lead to? In a spectacularly anti-climactic fashion, the light led Marcus to a diner. Yes, a diner. Where the patrons barely looked up from stuffing food into their mouths to acknowledge Marcus’ entry. That alone would have been enough for me to conclude that the whole thing was an elaborate advertising campaign to bring in the, likely very hungry (due to fasting) members of Marcus’ Pelorian church in out of the cold to eat, were it not for what happened next.
Two ragged and battered Pelorians, wearing far more than loincloths, staggered into the establishment just after Marcus arrived. They were in horrible shape and needed immediate assistance. Marcus treated them no differently than he treated your average street scum – he gathered them up and helped them with everything he had, taking him back to his church.
The two were apparently on some sort of important, divine mission for the church and needed assistance to reach their destination. They met resistance in a dark and mysterious woods that shook them up so much they refused to speak about it with Marcus, nor any one else, any further. Marcus was assigned to escort them safely to their destination and, as is typical for Marcus, he did not press them for more information and instead took it upon faith that Pelor would provide him with the knowledge he needed when the time came. Marcus, bless his heart, needs a good dose of cynicism, as we would all find out in a dark and dreary woods. But not quite yet.
Marcus gathered all of us together to ask us to accompany him on his journey. We all readily agreed, though apparently they could not find me to tell me about the mission. Which was unfortunate in the sense that I was there the entire time listening intently and they STILL could not find me. I had discovered yet another power of my mind, one over which I had no control as of yet. I decided to go along with them anyway, hoping that eventually they would notice my presence. I wondered idly if this is how most ghosts perceive the world. The small bruise on my head now is the only evidence that I cannot, in actuality, walk through walls. Fortunately, due to my predicament, no one saw me try that particular experiment.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Five – A tree falls in the woods and still nobody hears or sees me

Still hopeful that whatever it was that was happening to me would wear off, I followed my companions as they escorted the Pelorian pair to their destination. I picked up along the way their names – Raz was the escort and the other one was named Satura VII, and she was some sort of outsider, as evidenced by her rather long-winded title as “The Vessel of Stars, The Relic.” The Relic. That last part reminded me of a nickname for a rather old and decrepit judge who simply refused to retire, despite his near-deafness and his propensity to sleep through most trials. His only “saving grace” was his low price for bribes, his price list not having been updated for decades.
The path quickly led into the dark woods, following a narrow, meandering path that barely left room for one to hold one’s arms straight out. The undergrowth was so thick one could get lost in it after just a few steps. Not that it made much difference for myself, still unseen and unheard by all. I felt tempted to shout insults to Raz and the Relic, just to see if they really did not see me. Only long habit held my tongue. For Raz, that habit would ultimately prove insufficient.
One wonderful side-effect of my disappearance was a general inability to do anything else with my mind. I wondered if that was from the “effort” required to mask myself from so many at once. I started to experiment with this concept when we came upon a downed tree of massive proportions blocking the road.
Ambush. Was I surprised? Of course not. Did it matter? No. What was surprising was that the beings standing on the trunk resembled humans with the heads of Oxen. Habit helped me keep in the more obvious insulting nicknames, but I couldn’t help but chuckle. Their simple tactics allowed my companions to defeat them despite their apparent advantages – they were mostly unhurt by even enchanted weapons, they seemed to resist magical spells, and they had this nasty habit of shouting out that made my companions run away in fear and weakness. Despite this, my companions still eventually did defeat them. What morons. Oxen-head morons. “Oxymorons!” I couldn’t let habit stop me from that one.
The turning point was when Ee went berserk and charged them and Marcus then enchanted his already magical weapon with magical flames. Much to everyone’s relief, Ee’s irrational fear of fire did not even slow him down in his rage. Unfortunately, the same did not hold true when he calmed down. Several hours later, we managed to catch up to Ee after he ran screaming in the direction opposite to where he threw down his flaming weapon.
I was still unable to be seen, but then I decided to try something to change that – I focused my mind on just one person – Ee in this case, to make myself specifically absent for just that one person. With a mental “snap” everything came back into focus. Ee was still unable to see me, but now everyone else could. And with a quick flick of my mind, Ee could then see me as well. I am going to have to be careful with what new powers I discover within myself. I think I’ll stick to just one person at a time with this particular talent, at least until my mastery is far higher than it is now. I’m not quite ready to be ignored by everyone in the world, yet. I’ll save that for when I have grandkids and I want to bore anyone who walks by my mahogany rocking-chair with my grand tales of adventure from my youth.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Six – Another tree falls and I wish that someone had seen me fall, too

After much chasing after Ee, who is apparently the fastest of my companions, our band was reassembled and ready to assess the damage. Apparently the noxious breath of these beasts did more than make one flee – they also weakened one’s general good health. Marcus offered to use his Palorian talents to rectify this, but it required resting first so he could pray at dawn. Dawn thus arrived, much praying ensued, and the others were feeling much better. Ee and Morwen then decided the best course of action was to head boldly forward into the woods rather than rest further, having depleted most of Marcus’ divine reserves. So of course the best course of action was to rest. Several foolish miles further, we spied yet another downed tree.
Fortunately, there were no Ox-heads in sight. Unfortunately, the first sight we did see was that of a lightning bolt springing forth from the fingertips of a human without an ox-head, injuring half of our number. Were I further afield, I am certain I would have fallen. Rest assured, I survived, or else you could not be reading this. Unfortunately, I am less clear on what happened after that point, because while my companions rushed boldly forward, I stayed behind with Raz and the Vessel, much to my sorrow.
The last thing I remember is locking the mind of another human standing in ambush. The last thing that person likely remembers is standing there in the woods, drooling, unable to act, as a giant celestial bear appeared in front of him and rended him into tiny pieces. In retrospect, I suppose, things turned out better for myself.
Some time later, when I was awoken from my slumber by Marcus, I learned that the fight was over and all but one of the six attackers were beyond Marcus’ abilities to help. I slipped myself into his mind, making him my friend, and then learned that he was but a hired gun (much like myself, except I was armed with a pen and briefs) to stop us. It was against Marcus’ sensibilities to kill him – he was our helpless prisoner. If only the authorities of Desbury were so enlightened in their treatment of all of the helpless prisoners of Desbury’s “justice” system. Thus, we let him go. To give him a little extra incentive, I slipped into his mind and gave him an extreme aversion to “trees.” I’m sure he was running for hours to get out of the rather thick forest. Only later did it occur to me that the way was ultimately blocked by a rather large tree in both directions, due to the twin ambushes we met on the forest floor. I idly wondered how many times he would bounce back and forth between the ambushes before either his aversion or his feet ran out. I found it hard to have much sympathy for a hired murderer. I then wondered if this was what led so many to lose their compassion and humanity when given a position of power to make judgment of those accused of such things.
Much later, I learned the reason for my untimely slumber, and it wasn’t from an unseen foe. I did waste yet another crossbow bolt firing off toward our rear, just to be safe. It turned out there was no chance it would hit anyone, but not for the usual reason that I was the one who had fired it – there was no one to hit in that direction. Had I turned it the other way, the result would have been the same, but it would have been more satisfying. But now I am getting ahead of myself.
We resumed our journey, walking until it was almost dark. We considered stopping, until we remembered that the way station was just ahead, where warm beds and warmer stew awaited us, courtesy of the clerics of the god of travelers.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Seven – Hospitality from smiles falser than lawyers at bench

The way station seemed inviting enough. A cozy column of smoke wound its way up and out of its chimney. We approached cautiously, Morwen trying to peer in a window before she determined that they were all on the second floor and out of reach. Ee, ever himself, barged straight in.
The way station was run by a group of three clerics of the traveling god and there were two guests there partaking of their hospitality. Raz was an acquaintance of Tallon, the lead cleric. That set off some alarms for me. The two guests were all smiles and extremely friendly. So immediately, I knew they were all conspiring to kill us all in our sleep, perhaps after poisoning our food. It didn’t help the three “clerics” were armed with semi-concealed longswords and did not appear to wear similar vestments to each other. No one else seemed to take notice of this, so I linked my mind to Marcus and then to Morwen to warn them of our impending ambush. Ee had already wandered off on his own, so we had to track him down. I decided not to link with his mind – who knows what Ee would do if he started to hear voices in his head.
I tried to see how suspicious the clerics were of us by offering them some of our own food – I figured if they had poisoned the food they offered to us, they might be reluctant to eat food we offered fearing a similar fate. Instead, they looked at me like I was crazy, and ate my offered iron rations. Maybe I ought to have actually poisoned them. Too bad I don’t have any actual poison, beyond the text of my lawbooks. Meanwhile, everyone else ate the stew offered, and claimed it was very, very tasty. All the better to mask the poison.
We arranged to have a medium quality room so we could all be together. I suggested we all take the first watch, so we could be awake and ready when they came in to murder us in our sleep. All of us were thus awake and ready, except for Ee, who promptly went to bed, accusing us all of being crazy. I tried to decide what would be worse – not having Ee ready to fight when the inevitable happened, or finding out that Ee was right and it was all paranoia on my part. I didn’t have long to think about it.
Tallon soon knocked at our door, asking to come in and talk with us about something urgent. He was unable to come in due to the redecorating we had done – apparently it is hard to open a door when there are a few hundred pounds of furniture piled against it. So we opened the door, ready to pull him inside and then re-barricade the door. Unfortunately, only Ee was strong enough to do this and he was sound asleep. So after the door was opened and we saw all of the other denizens of the way station in the hall ready to murder us, all we could do was stand there and look foolish.
Amazingly, I found an extra burst of speed and before Tallon could even open his mouth again, I massively crushed his mind, leaving him staggering backward, desperately drinking elixirs of healing to stave off his imminent demise. I would have finished him off if not for the other four thugs pushing their way into our room. I thought to myself – “Ok, I’ll kill him last.”
Poor Ee was still in his bed when the half dozen or so arrows flew into his body, followed up by tumbling “clerics” coming into the room to stab him in his repose. Well, at least that woke him up. Maybe next time he’ll listen to us. And maybe he’ll light us a fire and stick his hands into it and dance a diddy.
I managed to get away from the doorway, behind Ee before the room was filled from floor to ceiling with horribly sticky strands of a magical web. It was unclear where this came from. Fortunately, this finally got “The Vessel” upset enough to do something other than just stand there and look cute – she dispelled it with a wag of her finger before going back to playing with her nails. Raz then read from a scroll and promptly vanished from sight. His brain definitely needed crushing. So not only was I not paranoid, I was not paranoid enough. (As the old saying goes – just because you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean you’re not being followed).
We quickly dispatched the remaining brigands save one, including Tallon, as they foolishly tried to stand toe-to-toe with the vertical Ee having been lulled into a false sense of security from attacking the horizontal Ee. The remaining brigand ran out the door before being dispatched with sickening efficiency by Ee. I ran to the door to cut off any invisible fleeing traitors, but was too slow – Raz was already out the door, as evidenced by his appearance behind Ee in the hallway, sleep wand at the ready. Unfortunately for Raz, Ee already had a good night’s rest and he did not meet my fate at the point of that toad’s wand. Before the wand was cold, Raz’s head was rolling around on the ground behind him.
The fight over, we took stock of our situation. My stomach growled. Time to sample that delicious stew.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Eight – The Story of the Vessel After the Fall

A quick search of the rest of the building turned up the real clerics, imprisoned upstairs in their posh quarters that put to shame the meager facilities offered to mere travelers – you know, those who are supposedly the worshippers of their god. So not only did they not protect us as travelers, they reserve the nicest quarters for themselves rather than giving them to the tired, needy, weary travelers along the long road through the dark wood. They’d make good judges.
After a hearty stew, we were all back on the road, heading ever closer to the Vessel’s destination. We soon found ourselves standing outside a well-hidden cave leading into the side of a small mountain. Digging our way through the thick underbrush, we made it inside, only to be stopped by a rather unstable-looking pile of rubble. Given my recent experience with swimming in sewage, I somewhat reluctantly stepped out onto the stones. As predictably as my waste of a crossbow bolt, I felt myself falling, with heavy rocks not too far behind. But then that memory of falling into the sewer came rushing back to me and I felt a strange flush over my entire body and found myself walking across the rubble as if I had no weight at all, leaving no trace, leaving no stone turned. Somehow my strong aversion to ever experiencing such a horrid event again changed something down to my very core. It made me feel almost eager to walk past the next challenge to face us, a rather short rope bridge across a chasm deep into the ground. It was apparently designed for use by the short little ox-headed beasts that have been giving us trouble for so long. I slipped across the ropes without a second glance – my newfound power giving me a rush the likes of which I’ve never felt before. I’ve never been much accomplished in the physical realm – it felt so exhilarating to feel such a viscerally physical skill come so effortlessly in body after but a small concentration of my mind. And just to cement the memory, I ran directly into an entire community of ox-headed beasts, both young and old. I quickly stopped to assess the situation.
Fortunately for all involved, they were willing to talk to us. They gave a rather lurid tale about how the Vessel was oppressing their people on some far off plane or some such thing. The Vessel, for her part, said nothing useful. The conversation was ultimately cut short by Marcus’ shaping the very stone of the cavern to cut them off from the passage. I idly wondered if we’d condemned them to death by slow suffocation as we led the way for our little Vessel of an oppressive aristocrat toward her yacht. Perhaps life as an adventurer is not all that different from defending murderers, bribing judges, and watching the well-connected serial killers let off with a verbal warning. Well, they did attack us all first, so I guess that makes it all ok. I’m going to need a long, luxurious bath when this is all over.

Cordozo – Chapter Twenty-Nine – The Vessel boards her Vessel

There was a rather strange-looking craft melded into the very rock of the cavern we found ourselves in. It was the largest metallic object I’ve ever seen. It was as if the cavern itself was wearing the shiniest full-plate armor one could buy. Fortunately, it was not entirely intact, allowing us a way into its mysterious interior.
We climbed up into a chamber that was just as shiny and metallic as the exterior. While climbing up a ladder deeper into its bowels, we found ourselves facing down yet more of those ox-headed monstrosities, along with a creature that seemed to be both there and not there at once, with long, furry tentacles over a feline-like body. Amid many shrieks and shouts, we dispatched them with ease, though I spent most of the fight struck dumb by an ox-headed shriek. At least I managed to melt one of their brains before they let loose their verbal assaults.
After quickly regrouping, we stepped up into the final chamber, the one just before the Vessel’s yacht. Of course, it would not be that easy. A hidden door opened and we were met with a two-pronged magical assault by twin mages (no relation, different looks) who seemed determined to stop the Vessel from departing.
After many different magics thrown our way, strange and wondrous and painful magics beyond my understanding (what little there is of magic). So it was very satisfying to send some strange and wondrous and extremely painful mental emanations of my own in their direction, emanations beyond their understanding. My reaction at their first blast of fire and lightning was to bring up within myself the memory of the lightning bolt that devastated our little group in the wood, and suddenly I found my mind sending my own lightning, of the cold variety, heading toward the mages at the speed of thought. What is happening to me, I wondered, even as I felt the rush of power from deep in my spine, from the base of my neck. I almost felt drunk with it, the surge, the cracking of flesh and bones as tissues and sinew were frozen in painful reckoning. I felt a lust for blood and so it was a grave disappointment when the first mage fell and the second mage quickly grabbed him and vanished from sight.
I’m not sure what is happening to me, but this power now has changed something deep down. My cynicism is fading. My lust for power, something I think always drove me to law, even as I told myself I sought justice, has bubbled to the surface. Or maybe the two are combining into something new and twisted. I try to do well by others as an adventurer, but I find that those we help can be evil in their own right. As we watched this “Vessel” launch up into the heavens in her yacht (that resembled more an egg than anything else), I pondered who our next “client” might be. I’m going to be much more wary about who we assist. From extra-planar aristocratic asses to barons and counts who listen to rumors over our honest words, to city watchmen who are more interested in a quick arrest and a trip to the pub rather than finding real criminals, our work is cut out for us. Woe to the next client who steers us wrong.

Altalazar

First Post
Book VI

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty – The Gift that Keeps on Taking

We returned to town some days later, my head still spinning from all that I had seen and learned. I had nightmare visions of the “Vessel” returning to oppress all of those ox-demons, thanks to us. Maybe the ox-demons were evil, maybe they were just seeking some well-deserved freedom or revenge. We would probably never know for sure, but I’m sure it will haunt me for some time to come. And yet I can’t be sure the ox-demons were truly sincere. They certainly had thugs of questionable character in their employ. Perhaps the Vessel was not so bad. I suppose that if I was sure she was, I would have crushed her brain myself before letting her return to oppress masses of people.
My ruminations were interrupted by an announcement of a new form of “magic” called “Dream Gifts” – magic that takes something from its wearer such that much more powerful magic for less cost can be made. Such a gift was made to us as an introduction to a meeting for hire. Already, I could sense the evil we would unwittingly spread. Or perhaps my cynicism is simply spreading from law to adventuring. The “Gift” such as it was, was a small gold circlet. Tossing caution to the fates, I quickly donned it, and felt myself stricken with weakness to my stamina. Fortunately, Marcus was able to rectify the situation, and I was able to wear the circlet safely. Right away I noticed something very different about it – it actually was magic that affected the powers of the mind! I could sense its tendrils enveloping my being in its soft embrace, providing me protection against the minds of others, no matter what form their mental emanations may take. Perhaps this “Gift” is not so bad after all.
Our client turned out to be perhaps the last member of a group called Thalos that once had something called the Occulus that was since struck and destroyed by a firey meteor, or perhaps it was just shifted into another plane. In any event, it was our task to seek some way to restore this Occulus to the group so they could resume their Dream Gift creations.
So down yet another road we travel, for reasons that will perhaps never be clear. Just as we were about to depart, I felt another surge of power rush through my mind and then everything went black.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-One – Nightmares … and Death

Strange, wispy shapes. That’s all I can remember. Darkness. Monsters that seemingly appear out of mist in ambush only to vanish back into it as they are slain.
Somewhere in my waking life, I have dim recollections of our client Thalos voicing a need to find seven medallions or tokens, one of which he already held. We needed to dive into the realm of shadows, of dreams – a realm I seemed to already be slipping into even when awake. So through a portal we went, into the shallows of the shadow realm. In my dreams I sensed that those whom we were seeking, whom Thalos was seeking, were somewhere between good and evil, on the edge of insanity. Perhaps it was the Occulus.
Thalos was with us in the mist. Just past the gate, nightmares of mist rose up and provided a nasty fight. I have trouble now remembering which was real and which was my own nightmares brought to life. But I do know we prevailed, much drained. So rest we did, in the mists.
Unfortunately for Thalos, his rest was both ended and made eternal as three appeared out of the mist and slipped their knives into his ribs, killing him before we could even react. And then they ran, one escaping, the other two joining Thalos in permanent dreaming in the mists.
On his lifeless body we found one of the medallions or tokens of which he spoke. He also had a book that exuded so much evil that it was painful for Marcus to even examine its aura. We prepared to return to the temple of Pelor for further information. Unfortunately, death was not finished with us.
Another ambush, this time leaving Morwen’s corpse to dream the dreamless sleep of eternity. Two bodies, more unanswered questions. The only positive notion was that as Morwen died, the mist in my mind parted, and my nightmares retreated to my sleep for the time being.

Corozo – Chapter Thirty-Two – Life restored, life ignored, a book explored

The priests worked their strange magic, restoring life to Morwen, who seemed rather perturbed to have lost her life. I think she was more upset about the surprise of the ambush than she was about the death itself. I’ll never understand the strange magic of the priests. How can they have such faith when the world is full of such injustice even from the best of men? But then I suppose it helps that their magic is so powerful.
Marcus asked his order about the book and about the fate of our client. The book’s evil came first, an evil that we discovered could only be destroyed in a place of shadow called the Abyss of Possibilities. We are still unclear as to whether Thalos was intending to destroy the book or use its evil for something befitting its nature. Now, much like the appeal of a capital case of an already-hanged man, it was moot. Because Marcus’ other inquiry, about the fate of Thalos, was answered with a simple, if cryptic sentence: “This man is not needed alive.” So dead he stayed.
The question was – what do we do with the book? I ventured that we must destroy it. And perhaps those tokens were the key, regardless of Thalos’ true intentions. Thus armed with a purpose, we ventured forth into the town to gather supplies and provisions for our return through the gate to the plane of shadow.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Three – Odd Haversack out

Amongst the strange and wondrous items found in the shallows was an item of much interest to me – a circlet that increases one intellect. Beyond the possibilities of the courtroom that swam through my mind, I wondered if it would help me focus my newfound powers. I was eager to try, and thankfully, my companions let me do so. Brains would be crushed with glee! I silently thanked the gods that no one could have read my mind at that particular moment.
Even more of interest to me were several items that I could sense mental emanations from, almost as if they had small minds of their own. Items of mental power! I never dreamed such items could exist, much less that I would hold them in my hands. A crystal. A wand. An amulet of psionic power. I reverently held them all in my hands before donning them on my body. I felt my mind pulse with power as the crystals touched my flesh.
My companions also have found something they all relish – something called a “handy haversack” or some such nonsense. I didn’t quite understand the need. All I ever needed, even in the direst of combats, was the sharpness of my mind. I could think of nothing worth spending my hard-earned coin on, so I again held it in my purse, even as it bulged ever outward.
We spent one night in town, to rest up before returning to the shallows. My nightmares returned, thankfully only in my sleep, and I discovered something else of note. Morwen, recently restored to life, was having nightmares of her own, strangely similar to mine. I could feel them leaking from her dreams into my consciousness as she slept. Curious.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Four – Gates, gates, grey gates, crimson stains of death

Upon our return through the gate, we found ourselves on a peninsula of mist that held three further gates. With a depth of analysis akin to a coin toss, we stepped through another gate and found ourselves on a grey plain of seemingly infinite expanse. Looking down at ourselves, we found that we were grey as well, even Morwen’s orange complexion having returned to a duller state.
Looking off into the distance, we saw the only non-grey in sight was a stain of red of indeterminate distance and indeterminate size. Having no other landmarks to guide our steps, toward the red we then marched.
As we closed in on the stain, we discovered it was the stain of blood, apparently the only substance to keep its natural hue in this grayish land. Before we could do more than lean toward the body, out of the mists leapt the shape of a vicious animal covered in a strange, shaggy coat. I was so excited! A chance to try out my new powers, my new items of power, my new mind! I would crush its brain into a fine powder, more insubstantial than the very mists of the land!
Quickly, my companions jumped into action. A whir of blades, a smash of staffs, a slinging of spells, and the shaggy dog lay dead, then slipped back into the mists. Just as I was about to make my move. I wasted another crossbow bolt, firing it off into the far horizon in mute protest. I don’t think my companions even noticed. They were too busy examining the corpse. They found what we could only assume was a token or medallion. This must be one of the seven. I guess now we know at least two of the seven are dead. Time to find number three.
Given what was found before, I reached out the tendrils of my mind, searching for other minds with powers like my own, and much to my delight and surprise, I found minor minds again upon items on the person of the corpse. What a joy for me, though it would be better to find a living mind to converse with and explore just what these powers mean and where they came from.
On the body we also found a note, written by the dead man, Solon by name. It merely said that “Thalos must be SLAIN. KILLED KILLED KILLED.” So either he was insane, Thalos was evil, or both. We’re definitely going to need to screen our clients better.
After we finished with the body, we considered giving him a proper burial, but there was nothing here. I suggested we leave the body where it is, as its own marker. If we buried him, in this empty place, there would be no sign of his existence at all. So we let him lay where he was.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Five – Plains of grass, ants of size, swamps of sadness, and chips of buffalo

The next gate brought us to a homestead on a vast plain, in a misty sort of way. Swampy shores nipped at our heels as we gazed off toward a herd of grayish buffalo, only slightly obscured in our line of sight by two buildings just a short hop away. Before we could fully appreciate the dull beauty of our surroundings, yet another set of monsters slipped out of the mists of the swamp and attacked.
We faced down fifteen giant insectoid creatures. This time I was determined to act before the others could steal my glory. I wanted to stretch my mind, express my power, destroy them all! Every injustice in court I’d seen, every corrupt judge, every guilty noble who walked free, every last ounce of indecency in the law flowed through me and then out of me as I lashed out at the creatures. Five large balls of cold issued forth from my mind, coalesced in the air, and slammed into their armored carapaces. I watched with great satisfaction as four of their bodies exploded in a surge of mental energy and then faded into the mists. Strangely, one seemed unaffected, as if he could resist my mind completely. How strange! Perhaps it had a crown, much like the one that sucked away my life force after given to me by Thalos. Or perhaps it was naturally resistant. I was determined to see if it could survive another strike from my mind.
My companions moved and made attacks of their own, striking down a few of their numbers before I acted again, this time I threw every last ounce of my mind into my globes of cold fury and this time I watched with great satisfaction as all five of my targets fell to my mental aim and exploded in a shard of armed mist. Including the one who was previously unaffected by my mind. I knew he could not last.
As the battlefield lay quiet, the corpses slowly fading back into the mists, I felt a warm wave of powerful satisfaction at how easily I decimated my enemies before me. No crossbow bolts were wasted on that day.
Before we even turned away from the corpses, we heard a loud battle cry as an armored figure burst forth from the house, screaming “Have no fear! I’m here to help!”
Thus, we made Chilon’s acquaintance, a man of great enthusiasm for battle if bad timing for charges. If only his enthusiasm held true in other areas.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Six – Invited inside – and not much else

Chilon introduced himself as the protector of the Occulus. He was a warrior of the mind, as I sensed from him as I probed his thoughts. Disappointingly, he seemed much weaker of mind than myself, and was probably not one from whom I could learn much about my own art. His lack of concern about anything beyond living in his “retirement” on this shadow realm of his own making.
He admitted he had a medallion token of his own, but refused to give it up, even to as a loaner, for us to see what we needed to do with all seven of the tokens. To him, it was just a token of his past, a badge of his office. Though he created the whole realm we were standing in from the deep recesses of his mind, and could probably have made his own substitute badge, to him, it just wasn’t the same.
Seeing how useless this conversation was going, we decided to leave. I suggested we could always return once we’d found the other tokens and try again. Perhaps then we‘d know more about what we might even need to use the tokens for. He sure seemed nice enough. It would be a shame if he had to die. I wondered if it would be more evil to kill him to destroy the evil book, or to not kill him, leave the book intact, and then perhaps some greater evil is loose in the world. I hate our clients.
So through yet another gate we went.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Seven – A city of millions, A city of one

We emerged from the gate into a town square set with a fountain and three more gates. A city loomed in the distance and all around us. Buildings of gigantic proportions. A temple pyramid up to the clouds. And a population of millions moving through the streets, out of the buildings, all around us. All identical. All silently mouthing the same words as they noiselessly walked past us.
As we tried to explore, we found ourselves moving in circles, always returning to the fountain of our origin. Finally, we managed to change our course and enter a tower from which all of the silent twins seemed to emerge. Inside, floating in air, seemingly in agony, we saw what spawned them. Another of the lords of Thalos, holding on to some unseen, glowing thing, body suspended in air, an endless stream of her shadow selves shedding from her body. Her words we could somehow discern, wordlessly repeated by all of her shadows.
“Please, the blackness looms. Please, the blackness looms. It touches each of the seven, even me. With each semblance cast off, my mind knows peace, but the blackness grows.”
Ok, I said, time to get her down. I’d seen enough. “Ee, go ahead,” I said, and looked expectantly.
“Me watch her,” was all he said.
“Ee?”
I was startled – Ee usually isn’t so thoughtful. Thankfully, Morwen acted, and then Ee followed suit, and soon the unseen pearl in her hand was seen just as her whole body crumbled to dust. And then we were seen, as every single one of those millions of semblances turned in our direction.
Sometime after I was already running toward the gate, I heard myself yell “run for the gate!”
As we ran past the many shadow images, they swung and snapped at us, shredding our flesh even as we kept on moving. I felt my blood draining away, my life leaving me. Just as I was about to fall, the fountain came into sight. So close. I called out to Marcus. I felt claws grasp my throat. The gate loomed ahead, back to the buffalo. I jumped. Claws grasped. Everything again went black.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Eight – I take another licking

Something wet. Something warm and wet. There it was again, against my cheek. The darkness faded and a fuzzy world came into semi-focus. As my eyes opened, I saw a huge, hideous beast looming over me, its pink, wet appendage assaulting me without mercy. And then the buffalo licked my cheek again in a long, slow, slurping stroke. The flavor it left in my throat reminded me of the aroma of a particularly well-traveled tavern around dawn, when only the dwarves are still conscious after a full night’s drinking. I sat up and took in my surroundings. Back on the homestead.
Chilon gave as warm a greeting as his buffalo, though fortunately with less tongue. Given our previous failure to get him to give us his token, I decided instead to ask him for something he may part with – information about the others of his former seven. We knew of Thalos, who died under our competent care. We had found the body of Solon, and we determined that the now dusted body of a million shady images was a woman by the name of Biana. Chilon was kind enough to name Pherecyde, Anacharsi, and Cleobulus as the remaining three lords of the tokens we had yet to find. We rested and thanked him for his help before departing his plane and heading back toward the unknown, through yet another wispy portal.
We ran back through to the land of the million shades, never even slowing down as we ran through to another portal, hopefully for somewhere less disturbing. We were sorely disappointed.

Cordozo – Chapter Thirty-Nine – Disgusting. Utterly disgusting.

We ran out of the city of the million dead shades walking, and right into the land of phlegm. Knee deep phlegm. Waterfalls of phlegm, down the walls, across the floor, into a veritable river of phlegm. I found myself longing for more tongue action from the buffalo if it meant I did not have to experience the milky-white sticky fluid running past my disturbed toes. My brain, well primed from my unfortunate sewer experience, was ahead of my feet and I found myself standing on the surface of the phlegm even as my companions were knee-deep in the disgusting goop.
The stench was overpowering. Only the thought of how horrible it would be to have vomit all over my very expensive clothes kept me from spewing out my own version of the phlegm they were standing in and I was standing on. Morwen glanced over at me and asked “can you do that for me?” I looked down at my dry feet standing on top of the disgusting river beneath me and replied “no, sorry.”
The walls were like the soft, pink innards of one’s intestines, which didn’t make keeping my own intestines steady any easier. Whatever it was we might find here, I hoped we’d find it quick, so onward we marched. The passageway, if you could call it that, wound its way forward, and led out into another, even larger chamber full of phlegm. Before we got there, though, a rather large mass of what looked like animated phlegm rose up out of the muck and smashed its slimy pseudopods into Ee’s body. Ee screamed and sliced it in two. Unfortunately, this left us with two creatures to kill instead of one. Morwen’s arrow contributed further to our troubles, and now we faced three creatures. Not liking the way this was adding up, I set forth my own concentration and a long blast of cold air went forth from my mind, striking all three of them at once. Before I could take stock of the results, a massive column of flame came down into the phlegm and all of the remaining quivering mass melted back into the goop. I heard a shout from behind me, “By the power of Pelor,” followed by “hey, I killed something too!”
After we got over the new, disgusting smell of burned, frozen slime, Ee searched through the muck and found something rather remarkable: a longsword made out of ductile stone. I kept my distance, not wanting to hurt myself by holding it, but I did find it a fascinating concept. For some reason, the mental vibrations emanating from its surface created the word “stonewand” in my mind. I repeated this out loud, and then attempted to convince Ee that this was the instrument of a dwarf wizard. Ee, much to my delight, both thought and said at the same time, “It longsword. Ee not that stupid.”

Cordozo – Chapter Forty – Phlegm down the drain – please, please, please no

Around the intestine-like corridor we walked until we came to another room, this one with a drain in the floor creating a waterfall of phlegm down into unseen depths. No, no, it can’t be. There’s no way I’m going down there, I thought to myself. Or so I thought, as I heard my words echo off of the slimy pink walls.
“That’s where we need go,” said Ee.
“No, that’s where YOU can go,” I found myself saying, with Morwen, in unison.
“Sure, me do it,” said Ee. Then, in a flash of insight, he said, “me not too smart anyway.”
“I’m not going down there,” I said, in case anyone had missed it the first time.
“Here, take my ring of swimming,” Marcus said as he handed over his ring of swimming to Ee. Ee also had his slippers of spider climbing. I took a look down at the waterfall of phlegm and silently wondered just how useful either of those items would be in a free fall on down. Then I took another look at Ee and at the rest of us, and wondered just who was going to be strong enough to not only lower his bulk down a rope but pull him back up.
In the meanwhile, to make sure we could communicate through the inverse fountain of phlegm, I linked my mind with Ee’s. I asked him, inside his head, “can you hear me?” Ee began looking around frantically, not saying a word. Or thinking a word, for that matter. After several minutes of explaining to Ee that nothing nefarious was afoot, we changed our mind and decided to send down Morwen instead. She was not happy about it. I tried not to say anything. I linked with her mind, though, so we could communicate when her face would be full of phlegm. We only had 120 feet of rope to work with, given that there was no rope in my briefcase.
As we lowered Morwen down into the muck, I learned several new swear words I had never heard before, which she shouted through our mindlink. And every once in a while I’d hear “not there…” until finally, after several tries, I hear the “good, I’m here” from the link, which I passed on to the others. I asked her if she could go invisible. Surprisingly, she said she could, apparently by downing an elixir. I suggested she do so if she were to go explore alone down there. Helpfully, I asked her to “let us know if anything kills you.”
Morwen described for us a sharp protrusion that would have nicely impaled us if we had been so foolish as to jump down instead of climb down. Several skeletons covered with green fungus decorated her landing. Two passageways left her location, and she went down both, one at a time. Her running commentary was none too helpful at times.
“Oh, that’s ok. That looks suspicious there. Oh, that’s ok. Curves to the left. Then to the right. Oh, an island free of milky fluid.”
And thus one led to an apparently empty room, the other to a room with what could only be described as a lake of phlegm – at least, that’s what she said – “it looks like a lake of phlegm” with an island in the middle that was covered with overlapping runes of all kinds. There seemed to be some meaning to it, but what that was was very unclear. I asked her to write it down, but she had no paper. Apparently only lawyers carry briefcases full of paper into dungeons.
“Is there a demon?” I asked her. She mentally shrugged in reply, if such a thing is possible.
Then she said, “ok, Cordozo, this one seems pretty normal? The other side looks, perhaps, too dangerous. There is a pretty strong current.” I almost forgot to pass it on to the others. I quickly mind linked with them all to make sure they wouldn’t miss any of my commentary just because I forgot to open my mouth when making it.
Since she had no way to cross the lake, she came on back up to remedy that situation with a little divine Pelorian help. There’s something almost comical about hauling up an invisible Morwen who is miserable, and dripping wet with slime. I was so glad it wasn’t me. I really hoped no one heard me think that thought through the mindlink.
So back down she went, this time with paper, which she used to transcribe what she saw. She came back up and still I could make no sense of what she had written. It was likely psionic in nature. So naturally, they wanted to send me down to see it for myself. Naturally, I did not want to go. Ee offered to go down with her. “Me go down with you.” But somehow, I doubted his expertise would help with the puzzle of the sigil-laden island. I reminded everyone I could crush them with my mind before I tied the rope around my waist and prepared myself for my disgusting fate.
No, no, no, no, no, I said to myself as I wrapped my cloak tightly around me and was lowered into the gurgling phlegm. At least Morwen went first. I enhanced her commentary with some of my own on the way down.
Morwen, at least, offered me an invisibility potion of my own to use. I didn’t relish the thought of what might be in that lake. Morwen seemed like she’d offer me scant protection against the demons of the deep. Where was a good wall of ‘Ee’ when you needed one?
I made my way to the island, walking on the surface as Morwen walked on air beside me. Power of Pelor indeed. I still could not make out anything of the symbols. I got disgusting for this?? Next time, I swore, I’d send Ee down instead of me.
On the way back out, it became apparent there was something nasty in the nasty. Morwen went looking for it in the lake, swimming in the muck. It makes me wretch to think of it even now. Something seemed to go after her, but nothing happened. That was all I needed to get out of there. “I’ll go up first.” Once I was up, “let’s leave.” I sure hope we don’t need to come back here. I have a bad feeling about it.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-One – Out of the phlegm and into the fire

We returned to a safer, nicer place and cleaned up, using this fountain that was there. It made my mind refreshed to drink from it, in ways that I normally could not without resting for the night. I’m definitely going to have to write this place down. Morwen and myself then immediately asked Marcus to cure disease on us both. “You don’t look sick,” he said. We were sick, we insisted, until he relented. Best not to take any chances.
Unfortunately, to get to the next gate, we had to walk through the slime again. This time, Morwen rode on my back for the trip, in order to avoid the muck. Much to our surprise, instead of slime, we found ourselves knee deep in a million images in a city that looked hauntingly familiar. They all looked our way. I ran, Morwen rode, and we got the hell out. And then back into the slime. I didn’t even slow down before I stepped through the next portal. Anything would be better than what we just experienced.
The next place was so hot I almost passed out when we stepped in. Steam rose from unseen vents. A pillar of fire shot forth next to a structure of some kind in the distance. And out of it popped several salamander creatures, breathing fire and looking rather uninviting. So naturally, we charged them.
Before anyone got too far, I deduced that they would not be great fans of cold, and sent a few globes of cold their way from my mind, dispatching them in almost an instant. My, that sure beats wasting another crossbow bolt.
Ee ran and charged. And then kept on running and charging almost through another portal. Ok, Ee, the battle is over. We chased Ee through the portal and then brought him back, just in time to meet a new “friend.”

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Two – A nice Pherecyde chat.

Standing before the column of fire upon our return was a woman of a rather fiery disposition. She seemed rather inclined to kill us all. That is, until my companions said, “hey, you’re the lawyer, use your diplomacy or something,” and so I turned on my lawyerly charm and soon she was inviting us in for biscuits. If by biscuits, one meant salamander constructs she was building to amass an army to kill all of her former companions.
We asked her if she could help us. She did offer to help us kill the others. She said they were all crazy. It was perhaps the only true thing we could glean from our conversation with her. She boasted about making the salamanders and also this horrible guardian. I sensed trouble right away, behind me and to the right. Before I could even open my mouth, I heard my worst fears realized: “Me kill him!” stated loudly and proudly. I closed my eyes and waited for the carnage to start. I was wrong. We had to wait a few more minutes for that.
She did offer to help us kill Cleobulus, who she said was in the river of phlegm. Wonderful! Maybe none of us would have to get dirty. We also told her about the evil artifact and asked her about it. She asked about it, so of course, we showed it to her. And then the carnage began. I shouted at the top of my lungs, “Dammit, we should have done this AFTER she went into the slime for us!”
I killed another salamander with my mind. Unfortunately, its mind already had Ee, and so he first killed Pherecyde and then attacked Morwen. Fortunately, we were able to stop him before he ran very far this time.
Pherecyde, in one last desperate move, incinerated us all in a globe of fire centered on herself. I could feel its heat burn into my skin and into my mind. I tried to absorb her energy, but was unable to do so. Yet I did feel a strange signature leave its imprint on my mind when she was done. This was definitely something I needed to explore.
Her body yielded yet another token, a gem, a box with incense, and a ring. I fervently prayed to Pelor and every other god I could think, imploring them not to make us go through any more slime. Somehow, I knew those prayers would go unanswered.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Three – We need to Ash some Questions

Frantically, we wracked our collective wisdoms to figure out where our path should take us next. In truth, Morwen and I attempted to figure some way to avoid ever having to even say the word “phlegm” again. Eventually, we settled on the vast, empty plain of grey ash. Perhaps that heralded the fact that our ideas were as empty as an infinitely large plane filled with nothing but grey ash. We found nothing.
We did see the body again, but we elected to leave it where it was, both as a monument and a landmark in a place bereft of both. At least, that was my argument. Ee agreed, albeit in a rather cruder form. Marcus and Morwen argued that we had agreed to bury it at a later time, but I did not recall ever making such an agreement. Ee denied it even more vehemently, then turned to me and said “Me talk to my lawyer.” I turned back to Marcus and Morwen and announced, “I’m representing Ee in this matter.”
I pointed out that there was no formal contract between Ee (or myself) and anyone regarding the disposition of the body. And, moreover, if there was, which I did not concede, it was unsupported by consideration, and was therefore unenforceable. And thus I fulfilled my pro-bono quota for the year. That body didn’t move.
But we did not find much of anything either. Or rather, we found nothing. So we returned to the buffalo. I kept my distance. After much more deliberation, we decided that, whatever we needed to do, we at least needed to get the token from the phlegm, wherever that was. I selflessly volunteered to stay behind while they did it, but my companions rather ungraciously declined my charitable offer.
Ee did vote to kill Chilon to get his token. I suggested we show him the book, and if he attacks us, so be it, but if he does not, then perhaps he’ll volunteer to help us. Morwen and Marcus thought this was a weasely attempt to find an excuse to kill him. Hey, stop looking at me, just because I’m a lawyer. Ee made a very eloquent case for it, which seemed to impress Morwen, if not of the validity of his position, at least of his vastly improved grammar and elocution. That is, until she saw me standing nearby, listening and concentrating and saying nothing. Oh well, maybe on another occasion, it will be beneficial to feed Ee some good lines of conversation though a mindlink.
One other benefit of my mindlink with Ee was that all of his comments about how stupid certain individuals we have encountered are, or how we should kill them, stayed unvoiced, and only in my head. Perhaps that will get him a few dozen less arrows from the Captain of the Guard the next time we save a Kingdom from utter destruction.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Four – Phlegm. Again. No, I don’t want to talk about it.

There I stood, my feet refusing to penetrate the river of phlegm beneath them, Morwen standing on my back. My companions were trying to figure out some way to get all of us down that horrid, putrid shaft filled with the phlegm waterfall. I was trying to figure some way to guarantee I’d never have to feel phlegm in my hair and down my shirt and pants ever again. I concentrated so hard on it, until I felt my mind turn in upon itself. I began to visualize the area below. I visualized myself there, unencumbered by any phlegm. I concentrated so hard, the phlegm beneath me began to ripple outwards with patterns of shockwaves. And then suddenly, something inside me snapped, and then slammed into my brain with the force of a mountain collapsing inside my head. I saw a flash of the mages we fought for the Vessel of Stars, one down, one picking up his fallen companion and vanishing, and then everything went black.

When I opened my eyes, my companions were staring at me expectantly.
“What do you mean, you can get all of us down there?”
I felt awkward, like I was intruding upon a conversation long in progress, despite my apparent participation in the discussion from the beginning. I felt my mouth say the words, “I can do it. I can take us down there. I can do two of you at a time.” My companions kept insisting I explain further, but I felt I could not find the words; I did not understand it myself, I just knew it was true and wanted to show them.
In order to reduce our trip down via my brain to one trip down, Ee and Marcus agreed to be lowered via rope to the bottom before Morwen, Krynyn, and myself followed in the non-phlegm version of the trip.
After Marcus was lowered down, but before Ee was lowered down, there was a long discussion between Ee and Morwen about the merits of simply going into the room below and killing everything in it. Morwen, like Marcus, had certain reservations. I wisely stayed out of it and let Ee’s eloquence rule the day. Nothing was resolved, but it was refreshing to hear Ee’s complaints over the mindlink. I did also learn something else as I rooted around in Ee’s mind. Ee’s name, or rather, its origin. Ee was apparently from a barbarian tribe that traditionally named its warriors after animals, right at birth, with the animal pronounced by one’s father, as the first animal seen, as the name one took for life.
When Ee was finally free of his mother’s womb, his father proudly looked up to the sky and the first animal he saw was an eagle, flying high and soaring through the clouds. Just as he was pronouncing the name, an orc warrior shot an arrow right through his father’s throat, spraying blood over the already bloody baby. All his father got out was “Eeeeeeee” before he collapsed and died. I imagined his mother took appropriate revenge on said orc, though I tried not to picture if that was before or after the cord was cut. But I digress.
Ee was finally slowly lowered down, and then Morwen collected the rope, and held my hand, as did Krynyn, and then in a blink of an eye, we were standing over a hundred feet below where we were, still, unfortunately, surrounded by phlegm. The tunnel to the island awaited us.
I pulled out a large diamond from my pack and gave it to Krynyn. I had already given one to Marcus earlier. I said, “if I die, use this to bring me back with that divine magic you have. I know from Marcus that you can do this if you get to my corpse fast enough.” I figured it was an expensive form of life insurance, but one I certainly would endorse.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Five – I offer a roomful of death – Brother Marcus offers pleasant conversation

Marcus was sitting down in the phlegm when we arrived, meditating with Pelor and waiting. I think he has long ago discerned that sometimes we have “problems” deciding a certain course of action, and so Marcus was patiently waiting until “solved” whatever “problem” we were on that was delaying us.
I offered to fill the room with death, something I think I can do if I now concentrate. The only catch is I can’t control it very well, so I’d kill all of my companions if they were there with me. I didn’t relish the thought of standing in the room by myself, but I thought I’d offer. Marcus’ reply was succinct. “Please don’t, unless absolutely necessary.”
Ee took in his surroundings, and pronounced his findings so all could hear. “This phlegm deep.”
I sensed something psionically active ahead, but could not discern exactly what it was. Marcus detected three evil beings ahead. I again offered to kill everything in the room, but he again declined. I never saw anything wrong with a little efficiency when it comes to slaying evil. I know many judges who put efficiency over everything else, including justice. I was not sure if I was becoming more cynical or if it was defensible because, after all, we detected evil, by the power of Pelor. Pelor wouldn’t lie, would he? Unfortunately, something else nagged at the back of my mind. What if there were other creatures, not evil, lurking in the muck? Justice, as always, is hard work. Harder than expediency. But I gave it one last try.
“They’re evil. Do you want me to kill them? You want to kill evil, or talk to the evil things?”
Marcus being Marcus, gave me his answer, shouting into the room with a lake of gurgling phlegm, “Hello! We mean you no harm! Will you please communicate with us?” Silence was the only response, if you ignore the never-ending gurgling of the disgusting phlegm, which I was doing my best to make my new profession.
We would have waited longer for a response, more out of a desire not to enter the lake of phlegm than any optimistic assessment of a possible answer, but Ee being Ee finally could wait no more and proudly marched forward, walking on air (courtesy of Krynyn), and, taking Marcus on his back, marched around the lake, trying to figure out where the evil beings were. They decided they were near the island, so they walked up to it, and then they appeared.
Surging out of the water were three psionically active beings with large spikes on their back. I sensed that they were all somehow part of one being, perhaps deceased, in some slightly less disturbing version of the million-image city we had recently vacated. Pelor proved accurate when they immediately attacked. I could feel the air crackling with pisonic energy.
Before they could eviscerate Ee, I sent three surging balls of fire from my mind, circling out over the lake of phlegm, and into each of the spike-backed creatures. One fell, two advanced, though one of those did not get very far before being stunned by a blast of shadow energy from Krynyn. Number two fell, leaving just the stunned one alive. Marcus helpfully suggested we interrogate the remaining creature, though by the time he finished his sentence suggesting it, Ee had already killed him. Ee has his own brand of efficiency. We certainly spent no time debating the merits of Marcus’ suggestion.
The corpses yielded another token, our fifth, not including Chilons nor the ever unseen and apparently domainless Anarcharsi’s. There was also a ring, of the same sort of dream magic Thalos had demonstrated before. I declined to touch it, but Ee quickly put it on. Morwen had goggles of similar magic, and I had my crown in my briefcase. Once Morwen gave me that headband of intellect, it seemed more prudent to wear that than something that shields my mind.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Six – Buffalo. More damn Buffalo. And a request.

“Ho, dreamers!” was what greeted us when we again stepped home on the range, where Chilon was playing. We again asked him about his token, and got nowhere. Ee was surrounded by trees for his trouble. Fortunately, he kept the insults in his (and my mind) and nothing further happened. It was interesting to watch trees spring out of nothingness. We convinced him to let Ee go. (Which he may not have, had he heard Ee’s thoughts. First, he thought to himself (and to me) “He dead,” then he finished with “Me not apologizing. Time come, he die.”)
But now we had to figure out what to do. We had to find a way to get to the True Adyton to find the Abyss of Possibilities so we could throw in the book and destroy it. There were no more domains that we could find, leaving us one token unseen. I wondered if the book was a domain of its own. Chilon said Anarcharsi was “into books” and I toyed with taking him literally. Finally, Krynyn asked his god for an answer, and got one of the most useless answers yet – “Follow your heart, drink lots of water.” Several wasted crossbow bolts later, our Pelorian decided to ask his god for the same advice, and he got a slightly more helpful answer – give the tokens to Chilon and let the “glib one” talk to him. All eyes turned to me. I swore if I could not read minds, I could still have read all of their minds at that moment anyway. I broke out my briefcase, polished my briefs, and then entered into the most eloquent and persuasive argument of my existence, extolling our virtues, the virtues of helping us, the virtues of destroying the evil book. Chilon sat and watched with wonder, and decided, must to our surprise, that his apathy was over and he would actually, not only help us with the token situation, but come along with us and see it through to the end.
And they said a lawyer wouldn’t make for a good adventurer. Well, ok, no one said that, but I’m sure many would think it, had that unlikely scenario been brought to their attention, perhaps while at a bar and after a few ales.
He walked with us to the non-functional gate, which then cleared and opened, and we stepped through to the shadow plane beyond.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Seven – We fight ourselves, but with red lightning in the background

We found ourselves on a large rock that was endlessly falling through a dark storm punctuated by strikes of red lightning. It was really beautiful, in an “evil, we’re all going to die” sort of way. There were four portals, two facing two, outside of what appeared to be the remnants of a building with a large double door. Boldly, Ee kicked it open, revealing the far end of the rock and a woman, whom I guessed was Anacharsi. I hoped she wasn’t evil. Ee apparently had some confusion on that note, because before she could finish her speech, he was charging her. Before he killed someone who might have answers, I locked his brain in place with my mind and then again, she tried to finish her speech. This time I caught the part about the Occulus, but I think I missed something else about madness and evil. And the future. She did greet us with a “Ho Ho dreamers!” so I was ho-ho-hopeful she wouldn’t try and kill us.
With her and Chilon there, we had a reunion of sorts, which only got sicker when the corpses of Thalos, Solon, Phercyde, and Biana showed up through the four portals. They didn’t look all that different from the last time we saw them. Disgusting, though not quite as disgusting as the phlegm – sorry, the universe is just going to have to try harder for me to ever use that word again without it being the phlegm. Though the way their intestines were hanging out and their tongues were pulsating and extended out was kind of gross.
Oh, and there was one other detail about them I’ve not mentioned yet. Everyone else had moved forward into the “room” to talk with Anacharsi. I was still standing outside when these things showed up and completely surrounded me. I really really really wanted to be somewhere else. The funny thing about having strange powers of the mind is that when you think about what you want, if it happens to correspond with what your mind can do, it happens – and so when I closed my eyes and wished I was somewhere else, I felt a shift, and when my eyes opened, I was somewhere else. In fact, I was standing near Anacharsi. I sure hoped she wasn’t evil.
My companions rushed back to fight them. Well, except for Ee who was standing there, not moving. Morwen threw a big bag of sticky stuff that adventurers apparently carry for just such an occasion. I thought it unnecessary, given his brain was locked. Except that I dropped it when I shifted. Oh well. Maybe Ee would come to his senses. I was wrong.
Ee did take several seconds to smash his way out with his axe. Then he turned on Marcus and Krynyn. Morwen, not wanting to be left out, turned on me, slashing me rather painfully. I ran, sending waves out from my brain to slow her down. I did not wait to see if it worked before I got into the only available corner and waited. She ignored me and went after the next closest target, the woman in the white robes. Marcus blocked her, then she stepped forward and blasted Morwen with her mind. It was an awesome spectacle. I wondered if my mind could do such a feat. It left Morwen stunned, leaving us time to figure out what to do about the book.
Marcus and I had a conversation with the woman as the battle raged behind us. I did a quick turn and sent four balls of fire to the attackers, killing three of them, before turning my attention back to the conversation. But before I turned around, I saw Krynyn rushing back, my diamond in his hand. No! That was for me! Unfortunately for Chilon, the fourth one, unseen by me, had paralyzed him and was starting to feast on his corpse. I decided we needed to do a little accounting later.
Marcus asked me if I thought Anacharsi could be trusted. We pulled out the book and showed it to her and asked her how we could destroy it. She, very sincerely, asked for the book. Marcus looked at me expectantly. “What, am I the liar expert here?” Apparently I was. “Let’s just trust her,” I said, “She seems sincere.” Whether she was sincere about helping us destroy the book or sincere about wanting to take the book from us so she could use it to cook up a nasty recipe for feasting on our roasted corpses, I was somewhat unclear about, but I didn’t say that to Marcus. Besides, what else did we have to lose?
So Marcus handed over the book, and she began an incantation of protection and unwrapped it from its cloth. Much chanting began, and then she turned and looked at us expectantly. “Give me the tokens, now.” Ah! The tokens, I think those were on Chilons recently dead body, no alive, laying at the feet of Krynyn as he was surrounded by four of those images from the city of millions (where did they come from?) and also one of the dead former sages. Oh, and Ee was also attacking Krynyn. Wonderful.
Marcus turned, I turned, I sent four balls of fire to the undead creature and three of the shadows, Marcus summoned a lion of otherworldly beauty and sent it to attack, then Krynyn blasted the shades with some shadow magic of his own. Then in quick succession, Ee gained his wits, sliced the standing shades to bits, finishing them off from my blast in one long, slicing cleave that sliced through them all. And then the last was dispatched by the lion. It couldn’t have gone more smoothly and efficiently had we planned it, which was good, because usually our plans don’t turn out so well.
Unfortunately, now Chilon was far away, with Ee and Morwen between him and us. And they had decided to switch sides yet again, motivated by unseen forces. I quickly linked with Chilon’s mind and told him we needed him to bring us the tokens. Marcus sent his lion to run circles around Ee and Morwen, drawing their attention (and their attacks) while Chilon then ran around them as fast as he could in his heavy armor. Marcus ran back to cover him, I tried to lock Ee’s and Morwen’s mind, and finally, the tokens arrived in Anacharsi’s hands.
She did some fancy handwork and then tossed the book and all of the tokens into this big, swirling abyss of fire that lay just off the edge of her end of the endlessly falling rock. There was a light show the likes of which I will probably never see again. And then the book was destroyed and Morwen and Ee started acting normal again.
Anacharsi explained to us that the book was sent from something called the “Dark Plea,” a god-like being from the future that sent the book through the past to gain power. Thalos found it and he used it to make the dream magic items we had, items which allowed the “Dark Plea” to control Morwen and Ee when they were using them here. Wonderful. She originally wanted to destroy the book and the Occulus, to stop its corruption, and so she summoned the meteor. But then the “Dark Plea” sensed it coming, so it shattered the Occulus and sent it into the dream planes, along with the sages, to protect itself. But now we have fixed it. She said that the connection with the future was now severed and all was well.
I told her “Sounds good to me,” and then started running out because the whole plane started to destroy itself. We didn’t stop running until we were all the way out of the shadows. Only then did we take stock of what we had. I glanced over the items and coins, and then looked up at Krynyn. “About that diamond…”

Altalazar

First Post
Book VII

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Eight – Breaking and Entering, Head and Home

My shoes are very expensive. I’d wear nothing less, both for court and for “adventuring.” They are certainly a distinctive sight when viewed walking toward you in the street. They were also a rather distinctive sight on my floor, my feet still in them, when viewed through the front window to my domicile.

Apparently, I picked something up in those shadow planes, and I’m not referring to the power stones and crystals, though they were certainly interesting. The crystals can actually store my mental energy, allowing me to call upon it later when my own mental reserves are exhausted. And the stone seems to store a power inside itself, allowing me to call it forth without any of my own power at all, but it only works once. I’d never heard of such things before, but then I’d never heard of my own powers manifesting anywhere else before, either. It was certainly a pleasure to meet others with my rare, and once-thought singular gift. Unfortunately, not everyone of the rare bearers of such gifts are bearable to all. But I digress in my digression.
With my hard-earned spoils, I traded my headband of intelligence to Morwen and then got an even stronger one for myself. I know I have but one asset to offer, my mind, and so I sharpened it as best I could even as Ee sharpened his axe or Krynyn sharpened his new-found sword of stone.
We found several items known as dorgets, items that can store a power of the mind and then call it forth without expending one’s own energy, but they have but a limited charge. We sold one and I kept the other, curious to learn its secrets. The two final items of note were also psionically active. One, known as the Third-Eye of Guardian, will allow me to roll out of the way of trouble once a day, assuming my reflexes do not fail me. I figured my soft disposition required a little extra help. The other was known as a contemplative pearl, and it uses the power of the mind to form almost anything at all one can think of. One could consider it almost a miracle, if one were so inclined. One like Marcus, for instance, who has taken the pearl into his custody and care. Now I finish my prime digression. Back to my shoes.

Morwen apparently admired my shoes for the first time when I failed to meet her following our swapping of intellects (of the worn variety). She and the others (minus Ee) came looking for me at my abode and found me there, or rather, my shoes. This led her to unlock my door (no, I did not give her a key) in what could only be described as a burglary, according to the common law definition, minus the element of intent to commit a larceny or felony therein. In fact, one could make an argument for exigent circumstances, one I’d have been happy to make for her had I not occupied those shoes in an unconscious and otherwise incoherent state.
Morwen quickly summoned help in the street, in the form of a dirty chicken cart. Using a blanket to keep most of the chicken excrement off of me, she put me on the cart and wheeled me off to the temple. And I can only say now that I am glad I was unaware of my surroundings or as I lay there, covered in feathers and dung, well, there would have been a lot of free fried chicken in the streets of Desbury that day. But I was out and so off to the temple was I brought.

None of the temples, miracles notwithstanding, knew what to do, but they did know to summon someone I had not met before by the name of “Princess.” I learned it was not so much a title as a disposition. She was the only other mind in town as active as my own, and I would have been intrigued to compare notes with her had my brain not been infested by psionic parasites slowly killing me. That little nugget, in fact, kept her not only from making conversation with me, but it kept her at least twenty feet away from me at all times, and I swore later, that she always held a silk handkerchief in front of her mouth whenever she was in my presence.
Unfortunately, her diagnosis did not include a cure, but she did offer to take us to someone who would be able to help me. This required finding something rarer even than a psion: a conclave of them. They were accessible through another nation some two weeks travel from Desbury. We did not realize then just how far beyond that we would be traveling.
Fortunately, she was able to salve my affliction to the point where I could remain conscious. But, she cautioned, her method, which involved splitting my mind in two, had a problem. If I let any of my active mind out, it would cross-contaminate the two halves again within an hour, returning me to my shoe-displaying state. She had only three stones that allowed her to grant me this state, and she had used one already. This meant I would need to use my mind judiciously, if at all, until we reached our destination.

Cordozo – Chapter Forty-Nine – Ee hits the bars, we hit the road

We did eventually locate Ee in one of his favorite taverns. He was in the process of trying to make his mental state match my own, as it was earlier, through the use of ale. I wondered if it actually improved his intelligence quotient to do so. And I figured, even with half a brain, I was still likely smarter than Ee, but then I couldn’t face a dragon in single combat and survive, either. But then, I digress. And foreshadow. So let’s move on.
The road was unremarkable, as it usually isn’t, and we traveled for about a week, Princess graciously taking last watch so I could sleep through the night. I left unsaid my desire to never take a watch, even when perfectly healthy. If we are so sure something will attack us in the night, why go to sleep at all? And if we have no such suspicions, why not let those whose minds need rest less stay up the night? I always made sure I got a good night’s sleep before any big days in court. Court. It has been so long now.

Incidentally, I discovered later that the dream world of shadow passes time at a different rate than in Desbury, such that we lost several days. Had I had any big cases pending, I could have missed filing deadlines and committed possible malpractice, requiring disciplinary action by the court (i.e. bribes). But then, perhaps destroying an evil book that is a fragment of an apocalyptic deity from the future on the plane of shadow counts as a reasonable excuse to miss court. I’ll have to look that one up in the court rules.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty – I hear an Ee that isn’t Ee.

I was awoken by the sound of screaming, like someone was screaming Ee’s name, someone who wasn’t Ee as he charged into combat. Then I heard it again, this time it was more like “heeeeeeelp me!” and it sounded like Princess. So much for the fourth watch. We got up just in time to see her flying through the air. I would have been very impressed had she done it herself, rather than with the aid of a black dragon that was holding her in its grasp. Given her annoying, non-stop banter, and her drooling over both Ee and Krynyn’s muscles, I considered leaving her be and heading onward to Raizenburg without her.
But then I looked up again and realized, I’d never seen a dragon before. It looked very impressive, even though it was much smaller than I’d imagined a dragon to be. Still, it was certainly a bit larger than my horse, who was standing nearby, grazing on some reddish-brown grass. Even in my weakened mental state, I sensed from him a fleeting thought that the reddish-brown grass really doesn’t taste any better than the reddish-green grass, but it does seem to give less indigestion. “A horse. I’m reading the mind of a horse. Ok, I need my cure, and I need it now,” I thought to myself. I suppose that involves rescuing her, I sighed.
We all watched as the dragon flew up toward a mountain, and then right into it, disappearing into an apparent cave up its rather impressive-looking face. Here we go. Just to be clear to everyone as we headed toward the mountain to rescue our Princess, I said “you do all realize, right, that it’s a dragon?” They didn’t even slow down. Thus, we followed the dragon into its lair, not knowing what might be there. At least I fulfilled my fiduciary duty by pointing out the obvious before we all went up toward certain death.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-One – Eight Hundred feet to nowhere – nowhere good, that is

When we reached the base of the mountain, we saw that the way up was aided by steps cut into the steep rock, leading up to a barely-discernable cave entrance into the mountain. It was about eight hundred feet of climbing, and it was not something I looked forward to. In fact, I offered to stay put. Ee offered to carry me. I opted for the middle route and just climbed up myself. I had visions of falling to my death. The parasites didn’t help, in that regard.
Of course, just when we reached the halfway point, that’s when we found ourselves caught between rocks and a hard place. Lots of rocks. Rocks tossed down on us by at least a dozen orcs above. Their aim was mostly wide, but a few did connect, and so my companions doffed potions of spider climbing (except for Ee, whose slippers provided the traction) and then took bizarre, zig-zag courses up the side of the mountain in the vain hope of avoiding rocks. I decided I was just as likely to get hit either way, so I just kept on climbing straight up. Given my desire to keep my brain intact, I used no powers of my mind, but I did drink a few potions. One to blur my presence, to avoid some of those rocks, and the other to help my climbing which, unaided, was about as good as my aim with a crossbow.
The climb up seemed to take forever. I contemplated stopping and wasting a few crossbow bolts, but ultimately, just kept on going. I was hit by a few rocks, drank another potion to cure what ailed me, then I got close to the top. In fact, given my straight course, I was second to arrive there, just behind Ee. Ee killed several orcs, but unfortunately discovered that there were over a hundred more waiting behind them in a large circular cave carved out of the mountain. When I got close to the ledge, I decided that either we rescued Princess or I was doomed anyway, so I let loose my brain and cleared the ledge of five more orcs with orbs of cold. I shouted to Ee, “Get off the ledge, I’m going to fill the room with death, this time I mean it!” Ee did not even pause as he jumped off of the ledge and below the lip.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Two – A roomful of death

Just as Ee left the ledge, I stepped up on to it. There was just enough space for me to stand without being swamped by orcs. I closed my eyes and let my fury at the rocks, the dragon, the orcs, the Princess, and finally, those damn parasites fill me and center me. Then I let loose with a blast of cold that surrounded me and filled all of the space around me up to forty feet with frosty death. When I opened my eyes and the dust settled, there were almost a hundred frosted orc corpses surrounding me in the cave. I sensed fear leaching from the remaining orcs. I also heard one in the rear shout out some mangled orc call for help.
Unfortunately, I’m a rather easy target, even for orcs. Fifteen of the survivor’s threw javelins at me, one of which connected, nearly finishing off what the rocks started. I would have been more worried had Morwen not stepped in, did a cone of cold of her own, and felled almost all of the remaining orcs. But then I was more worried anyway when the black dragon appeared at the back of the cave, looking none too happy to see us. I felt a wave of strong emotions emanating from its form, almost as if it were wearing an aura of fear. But it utterly failed to penetrate my superior mind, and I laughed at its rather pathetic attempt at mental manipulation. My lawyerly self thought to the dragon, “Amateur!”
I stepped back down underneath the ledge and waited for Krynyn to arrive, his feet lagging far behind the rest of us in his very heavy armor. I met him just in time for him to lay his healing touch upon my chest, closing the many wounds left open by the marauding orcs. I left the dragon a parting gift in the form of five balls of cold, killing the remaining four orcs, and saving the last one for the dragon himself. (I assume it was a him – I shuddered to think of how close I’d have to be to discern the appropriate anatomy).

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Three – They finally realize it’s a dragon

Ee returned to the ledge and charged the dragon, managing to penetrate its thick scales with a few blows of his own. The dragon seemed unimpressed, and proceeded to rend Ee’s form with a series of sickening blows, first with its fanged mouth, then with its claws, wings, and tail. Ee looked closer to death than I’d ever seen him, and that was in the space of a few seconds. Ee quickly retreated to Krynyn, even as Morwen sent a few arrows into its scales. I kept my body below the ledge, just peeking over the top enough every few seconds to send a few more balls of cold its way. I hoped my assaults were steadily wearing it down. I fervently hoped that it never stood next to me and did what it did to Ee, or else there would be enough left of me to bury.
The battle seemed to be at a stalemate, with us lobbing a few things the dragon’s way, and the dragon sending acid and other death our way. Then everything went black.

Fortunately, unlike the other times this has happened to me, I was still conscious and aware. It was just, well, black. Magical darkness, I figured, at least I sure hoped it was. I shouted for Krynyn to dispel the darkness with some divine light. He declined, and instead called upon some divine retribution, making himself as large as the dragon, and as tough, though I did not realize it until a few seconds later, when he did indulge my rather selfish desire to be able to see where the big nasty dragon was that was trying to kill us and cast some divine daylight on the situation.
The dragon had moved from where he was. Krynyn charged him, as did Ee, and they locked in a ballet of melee for what seemed like an endless series of blows and counter blows until finally, with one last swipe of Krynyn’s stone sword, the dragon fell at his divinely enlarged feet. We heard, again, a muffled “help me!” from within the cave. Oh yes, we can’t slay a dragon without forgetting about rescuing the Princess.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Four – More copper than we can carry

We found the Princess down a pit in the dragon’s lair. I offered to dimension down and grab her up, but she did not want me anywhere near her. Those parasites must really like her. I can see why.
Morwen instead offered her a rope, and then we took stock of the dragon’s horde. There were a few choice objects d’art, and a huge pile of coins that probably amounted to over 80,000 pieces of copper, but I think we collectively decided just not to bother. One of the gems we found was worth more than that. The dragon was young, so perhaps that’s why all he had was copper. I imagine that the older, tougher dragons probably came by and asked him for “protection” money, thus always taking his other coins. Ah, the mysteries of dragon culture. I wonder if dragons ever go to law school. If they did, that might explain a few of my professors.
We packed up what we could, Princess, from a safe distance, re-partitioned my mind, and off we went. I idly wondered if this splitting of my mind was akin to what we asked juries to do when we’d admit evidence and tell them they could only use it for the purposes of impeachment or some other such nonsense while telling them they couldn’t use it as evidence of guilt. I know from reading their minds that such legal fictions seldom found purchase, even in those jurors who thought they did. I wonder how many dragons were on those juries.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Five – I meet the enclave – plane and simple.

We finally reached the nation of Raizenburg after another week of travel, minus and further dragons. There, in the city of Bellonen, we waited three days for this portal to yet another city in some far off land, a city known as Cauldron. We paid our toll of one piece of gold and stepped through the circle. The city turned out to be in the crater of a (hopefully extinct) volcano. We quickly gathered where it was we were to go.
In a huge tower I finally met the enclave. I would have been more eager to ask them questions had I not been in such urgent need of some disinfection. In fact, they barely talked to me before they quarantined me and put me in a large metal box for transport to yet another plane, this time the ethereal. Great, long rituals were performed by hypercognitive masters to determine this course of action. I slept through most of it. Suffice to say that in a day, I was back to my usual, cynical self. I wondered whether there was some vast “brotherhood” of psions whom I could now join the ranks of, or if instead I’d be presented with a large bill. My ruminations were interrupted when I noticed that Marcus’ hand was glowing in a way that I associated with that paragon of inter-planar virtue and exploitation, the Vessel of Stars. Wonderful. What the heck does she want.
I tried to keep my mind off of it as I promised the other psions to always practice safe psionics in the future. After all, practice makes perfect. Now where did that Princess go?

Altalazar

First Post
Book VIII

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Six – Six hours, five statues, four demons, three rounds, tuustarr, and one weird guy

After I received my cure from the powerful psion named Poseidon, my companions and I went around this interesting town of Cauldron and explored, shopped, and looked for answers. We didn’t find many until we happened upon a park by the water. Arranged in a circle there were five statues, one of which looked particularly familiar to me. Upon close inspection, I read its base, where it said “Poseidon, a true defender of Cauldron – We not only owe you our lives but the lives of our children and their children. May Spellmasion’s smile always be with you.” The other four statues all said the same thing, except they were of four different individuals. Tuustarr, Sushi, Kerrick, and Yukiko filled out the names of the other four.
So, this Poseidon apparently was one of a band of heroes who somehow saved this town-in-a-volcano. Interesting. Nice to see another psion be recognized for something. He certainly helped me when I needed it, and he didn’t even charge me anything for it. I wondered if I would get billed later, but thus far, I have heard nothing.
As we stood around pondering the statues, Marcus spied someone in the trees by the side of the clearing. He brought this to our attention and we approached what could only be described as a being of angelic beauty, in the non-metaphorical, she had a white visage, wings, and feathers-sense of the words. But she also appeared wounded, and she was glowing less than she would have liked. Her name was Nidrama, and I earnestly hoped she wasn’t royalty, because the last thing we need is a Nidrama Queen.
Marcus parlayed with her while I listened carefully, checking for signs of subterfuge. I have learned not to trust anyone we meet, and the more they look like a supremely lawful and good being of the lawful and good outer planes, the more I suspect the creature is truly evil and out to stab us in the back while we sleep. But perhaps I should be less cynical. Maybe if she looked like an evil demon, I’d be more apt to trust her. Her conversation did not allay my suspicions.
She carefully described her origins, and the origins of this family artifact she had, an heirloom that she has held in her family for over one thousand years, gathered by her brother as the spoils of a majestic war between good and evil, powerful in magic though it has never functioned. Never, that is, until the day before, which by one of the greater non-coincidences of our experience was the exact time we arrived in Cauldron and Marcus’ hand began to glow. And yes, the stone she held now glowed, for the first time she could remember. Aside from this happy conjunction, she could not tell Marcus why this was so, either with her stone or his palm.
I did sense she was not telling us the whole truth about something, but then, I already knew that was coming. I decided to ask her an important, burning question, perhaps the most important question ever asked of one of her kind, from her Celestial realm. I stepped up to her, cleared my throat, and in an even, steady voice asked her, “so tell me, on this majestic plane of pure good that you dwell on – do you have any lawyers?” She looked at me strangely, then answered that they had no need of them. Ah, so this was her deception. For I know that everyone says that lawyers are a bane, or evil – everyone says that, that is, until they need one. I pointed out to her that a plane of good was where they would be needed most of all.
“After all,” I said, “when one has a disagreement, friendly though it may begin, the evil, destructive way to solve it is through war. The civilized and good way to solve it is with lawyers.”
The angel appeared dubious, but then, they always are.

Our conversation was cut short when she turned back to Marcus and Marcus asked to see the stone. As soon as his glowing palm touched the glowing stone, there was a flash and we found ourselves somewhere, well, still there.

Looking around, I saw four individuals standing in the clearing who looked vaguely familiar. Then it hit me. The statues. They looked just like those statues. Statues right… uh, where were they? No more statues. I decided to ask them two very pressing questions.
“Is this that Celestial place?” and “does anybody here need a lawyer?”
I noticed the light of recognition in the eyes of the one who looked like the Tuustarr statue. “That’s an odd question to ask,” she said, “I’ve only ever known one person to ask that question.” Then I probed the surface of her mind, and found Morwen there. I quickly found that Sushi was Ee, Kerrick was Marcus, Yukiko was Krynyn, and that meant Poseidon was me. Oddly enough, that was what made the most sense of all.
I looked around at them all and explained the situation. Then I said, “this is what we psions like to call a mind f@@@,” only I said it somewhat less politely.
Looking around the area, I noticed that not only were the statues gone, but that the whole city looked different. The big hole in the center filled with water was gone and the houses that had been in ruins around it were fully intact, as were the streets between them. We appeared to be in the same place, only in a different time. Given the surroundings, the lack of the statues, and who we appeared to look like, I surmised we were in the past. Strangely, I looked like myself to myself, including everything I had with me. But when I offered my business card to Morwen / Tuustarr, she did not see it. Marcus held up his mace and I saw a staff. He asked me what I saw. Just to keep him sharp, I said, “a mace,” but then quickly admitted it looked rather like a staff. Marcus seemed somewhat perturbed by the whole situation, but we didn’t get into that until later. Which was probably wise, considering the two large, leathery demons that attacked us just at that moment.

When I say two demons, I want to be clear, that there were really four demons, but we didn’t see the other two until a moment later, when they attacked us from the other side.
Krynyn waved his holy symbol, said a prayer, and then he was four times as large, and at least twice as scary as the might of his god flowed through him. He didn’t seem to make much of an impression on the demon. Certainly, he didn’t make as big an impression as the demon made in his skull when it ripped a few chunks of flesh out of his body. I sent a few balls of fire at the two demons in front of us, but it did not seem to do much to them. Neither did Morwen’s staff. I started to wonder if things were looking grim. The second pair of demons answered that question for me.
Then, we heard from the other side of the clearing, “I’m here to help! Die demons!” And this short man appeared wearing robes. I hoped he would be of assistance, even as I also wondered just when this one was going to betray us and slit our throats in our sleep. I really have to work on that cynicism thing. But given that he sent a cone of cold against two of the demons (just after Marcus immolated them with divine flames from above), I decided to worry about his betrayal at a later time. When I noticed myself surrounded by demons that could probably each singly rip me in half and swallow me whole, I thought I’d be feeling a whole lot safer somewhere else. Mush as is often the case with one with such powers of the mind as I, the thought became action and I was standing right behind our new “savior.” I introduced myself before hiding behind him. “Hi, I’m Cordozo. Do you need a lawyer?”
My companions and I did what we could, but not a single demon dropped from our efforts. Then our new betrayer, I mean, friend, stepped forward and held forth a scroll and screamed “begone, foul demons!” and the demons all vanished. I never will understand magic. Thinking something and having it happen is one thing. Having to read all those funny symbols and play with various dead animal parts to make something happen seems a good way to catch some sort of incurable disease.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Seven – A test of courage – or gullibility

Our new companion with the hooded cloak and the gnarled staff introduced himself as Kaurophan. He said he was sent by the powers of the Smoking Eye to take us to the outer plan of Occipotus to pass the test of the Smoking Eye, so we can somehow change the whole plane toward good, rather than toward evil, as apparently others want to do. First, I had to clear the air. “You said Occipotus, right, not Occulus?” “Occipotus,” he said, and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Optimistically, then, I raised my hand again and asked him about this test. “Is it a written exam,” I asked. His look was all the answer I needed. He did say he knew it had three parts and that he had already tried and failed the first part, something involving fighting a large spider. Either that or fighting another creature, of which he could tell us nothing.
Marcus being Marcus then had to spend rather a long time trying to explain to this hooded fellow that we weren’t who we seemed to be, that he didn’t want to proceed under false pretenses, that he was to be referred to as Marcus, because, as Marcus said, “That’s who I am.” I started to think he was having an identity crisis. Really, I only worried that the visages we had were those of people who had some bad debts to settle or something equally ambush, worthy. I eyed the surrounding park for signs of impending ambush.
Kaurophan did say that other demons were trying the test, one a Succubus, one a Rhakasha. Wonderful. I hoped they weren’t as tough as the four we just not-killed.
Marcus was eager to shift to this plane to try and get to the test ahead of the evil ones. I thought it would be wiser to rest and heal first, a sentiment which was backed up when Morwen chimed in with her strong desire to leave immediately. Kaurophan said only he knew where the test was, so we could leave the next day if we wished. That finally convinced Marcus. I did also suggest that we be fully ready to go in case the strange plane of the test did not leave many chances to sleep or pray.
Next we needed to find a place to stay the night. I suggested we find where our visage-counterparts stayed and stay at their places. Surely, such heroes-to-be of Cauldron wouldn’t begrudge us staying the night in their homes for the cause of good. But while that may not have been too much to ask of them, it was definitely too much to ask of Marcus. He would hear nothing of it and instead led us to the temple of Pelor for the night. There, we found the most nervous priest I’ve ever seen in my life. I looked for the ambush, but then saw from his eyes that he thought we were the ambush. It didn’t help matters when Marcus, of course, had to explain to him who we really were. I thought he would soil his armor right then and there, but Marcus assured him of our “goodness” and finally he seemed more relieved to have someone to stay with him than spending the night alone. He did seem young for a head priest.
Marcus did not appreciate my help in the matter of explanations. I tried to assure the priest that we were as good as the ones we replaced, or in fact, even better. Marcus thought that too presumptuous. I tried to explain to him that if this was what his god intended, we must be better than them, otherwise, why would Pelor put us in their shoes for this task rather than them? But Marcus did not appreciate my lawyer’s logic, and when he seemed ready to smite me with a Pelorian poking-naughty-finger-of-death, I let it go and went to bed.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Eight – Just Plane Gross, again, but at least no phlegm

The next morning, we met the gnarly one at the clearing and he plane shifted us to Occipotus. Instantly, I did not like it. Red sky. Large skull. Pillars of fire. Ground that feels like flesh. A great feeling of unease amongst my companions. I did not like it at all. But at least there was no phlegm. I looked expectantly at Kaurophan for him to attack us. He didn’t. Maybe he was really the angel we saw earlier. Yeah, that makes it more likely he’ll try and kill us. Everyone knows angels are purest of good. So the angel must want us dead. I’m pretty sure from my legal research that the line between cynical and paranoid must be a subtle one. I vowed to myself to look up the distinction in the library when I had the chance.
We began to walk toward the testing site, which apparently was three days walk away. So much for not being able to rest. Apparently when one waves around scrolls and dead animal parts to go to a plane, one can’t pick the exact destination. I would think it would be more precise than that. I decided to think more upon that later, and pushed it to the back of my mind.
After two days walking, we got up one morning and came upon a rather ugly looking thing that Kaurophan announced was a “grey slaad.” “Salad,” I asked. “No, slaad,” he said. It looked really tough and seemed to crackle with a tremendous amount of magical energy. We all buffed up and got ready for the fight of our life. The fighting ones made great displays of prowess with their weapons as they rushed in for the kill. Mighty combat was joined. The fight was on!
Only I just did not feel like fighting anyone, so I just reached into its mind, deep down to its very core, and locked it off. Then I sat down on the ground and began to file my fingernails while the grey thing just stood there and drooled while my companions slowly beat the slaad out of it. Then we picked the corpse clean and proceeded on our merry way.

Cordozo – Chapter Fifty-Nine – Feathers – that’s like the angel’s wings – I smell a trap

We finally reached our destination, something called the Citadel of Feathers. We walked around the building, but could only see one way in, two solid and huge stone doors at the top of some steps. Krynyn, Morwen, and Marcus all tried mightily to open those doors, but they would not budge. Finally, after much divine magic, making them all stronger and Krynyn much larger, they managed to barely force those huge doors open while I watched.
Peering inside, we saw nothing, despite Krynyn’s earlier warning that he sensed two evil creatures somewhere beyond.
Morwen boldly stepped forward into the foyer and then down into a hidden pit beneath an illusory floor.
I looked around for the ambush.
Krynyn boldly stepped forward, rope in hand, to pull up Morwen from the pit below.
Marcus boldly stepped forward, to the other side of the pit.
Kaurophon boldly stepped forward, to the right of Krynyn.
They all started to work on getting Morwen out of the pit.
I again kept standing, off the steps, outside of the building, and looked around for the ambush.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty – The Ambush

Sure enough, as soon as they were mucking about with that rope, they were ambushed. From above, magical webs shot down and caught them all in a sticky embrace. I quickly lost sight of most of them through the thick, fibrous strands. Then I saw a flash of light as a lightning bolt came down from the roof of the structure. I saw it rather clearly because it came straight at me, nearly killing me where I stood. But I was ready for them and quickly shot back two large globes of cold. I saw two spider-like things on the roof. I briefly wondered if they were the guardians for the first part of the test, but somehow I imagined there being only one spider, only larger, and behind a door we got to choose.
My little balls of cold did little to the spiders. Kaurophan did something more helpful when he dispelled the webs. I watched him for signs of backstabbing or evil. None so far. Unfortunately, I still made a good target, so when three missiles of force flew down from above, I was literally at death’s door, or nearly so, and did what a good lawyer always does when outclassed on the briefs. I played dead. Not that it was much of a stretch at that particular time.
It seemed to work, because they turned their attention inward, attacking my companions in the building through their nice murder-hole in the roof. Another web appeared, but not before one of my companions sent one of the spiders to its maker. From my place on the ground, I quietly concentrated, and sought out the mind of the one remaining. I quickly found it, then, as I did for the first time oh so long ago in that dank crypt, I crushed it with my mind. The spider fell limp.
I was fortunate that my companion, Marcus, healed me as I lay there “dead,” the prayers of his god Pelor heard even across the distance from the building to my prime parcel of ground beyond the steps outside. I wondered if Pelor was special in that regard, because Krynyn always had to touch me to heal me. Such are the mysterious of the priesthoods. At least they don’t usually have to wave around dead animal parts to make their magic.
My companions waited for the webs to dissipate, or rather, they were going to until Krynyn just lit them up with a flame and they burned away, charring them all. They then searched the corpses and pocketed the spiders’ possessions.
Ahead of us lay yet another set of doors, and probably another ambush. I hope it isn’t more demons. I don’t know what a Succubus or a Rhakasha is, but if they are nasty, evil types, I sincerely hoped they weren’t behind those doors. Somehow, I knew I was going to be disappointed. I thought it was a good time to rest. I just had to find out if I’d garner any agreement. In my mind, I knew Morwen’s answer already. Maybe if we rest here now, Kaurophan can finally get it over with and backstab us. The tension sometimes is just unbearable. Time would tell.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-One – We rest – I dig

After our bout with the spiders, I was eager to rest. Not so much to replenish my mind, but because I wanted to know what this Kaurophan was thinking, deep down in his innermost thoughts. As usual, Morwen protested any attempt to rest, as did, in fact, Kaurophan. She also protested my suggestion we sleep outside, but I had no intention of sleeping underneath the murder holes in that ceiling, especially when we did not know what was inside those other doors. Fortunately, Ee was on my side, “He good fighter with him head. Let him rest.”
And so, out on the rubble of the plains, but in sight of the entrance to the building, we rested. I took third watch, but secretly stayed awake. I kept my eye on Kaurophan until he was sound asleep, and then I reached out the tendrils of my mind and went deep down into his. I could sense he was hiding something. He had no plan to attack us, but I sensed he may make a plan in the future. He also seemed only interested in us as a means for him to pass the tests and take over the plane. Perhaps that was not so nefarious, since he did not seem evil, but then most of my clients didn’t “seem” evil either, but I knew half of them were cut-throats. I will have to watch him closely. And I vowed to myself that I would examine the minds of all of our adventuring clients as closely. I have had quite enough of clients who use sleep wands on my back in the middle of combat, of other clients who intend to use us to bring a great evil from the future (though he fortunately was killed before we had to deal with his madness), and clients who appear out of nowhere to whisk us off to other planes to take some undefined “test” that apparently interests the vilest demons in existence. I think even the “good” clients often have hidden intentions, intentions they keep from their surface thoughts, requiring me to dig deeper. Oh, how I long for minds with the sweet, simple simplicity of Ee, or the pure-as-snow innocence of Marcus.
From Kaurophan’s mind, I also saw glimpses of other planes he had visited, creatures fair and foul, and I suddenly gained insight into the workings of planes and beings far removed from my books and court rooms. But I would need time to sort all of the images and knowledge out.
In the end, I did not probe too deep in Kaurophan’s mind, not wanting to wake him up and let him know I was probing him. He seemed to sleep peacefully through the rest of the night. Or rather, until it was my turn to watch, and I had quite an eyeful.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Two – My turn – My watch – My oh my

Morwen woke me and I stood up, stretched, and looked around. The plane looked no different. It was still red and putrid. There was still rubble all around us. There was still a ruined building to our left. And then there was the half-naked woman with the large, leathery wings standing by the building and smiling at me. And my, isn’t that red lightning pretty. Ok, let me back up.
She was beckoning to me to come over to her. She certainly looked good, though the leathery wings rather gave away that she was a demon. Well, at least she had the decency to be upfront about it. Looked like a nice trap to me. I smiled back and made come-hither gestures to her in return. She made a ‘shhhh’ sign with her fingers and her sensuous, pouting, demon lips and I ‘shhh’d’ back to her and motioned her forward.
In the meanwhile, I silently mindlinked with all of my sleeping companions and told them that there was a naked demon woman standing by the building, and they should ready themselves silently for combat, waiting for word from me to strike.
She was now walking slowly toward me, coyly motioning me forward. Shy psion that I was, I kept motioning her to come toward me, updating my companions with her forward progress. When she was about sixty feet away, I felt her mind reach out toward mine and try and wrap it in a sensual, yet ultimately cold embrace. But her feminine-demon wiles could not penetrate the fibers of my mind. I smiled at her in response and then waved to her good-bye. “NOW!” I shouted in my mind to my companions, and they all sprang into action.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Three – We fight – I explode

Morwen lept to her feet, rolling across the rubble, pulling her bow from behind her, an arrow from beneath her, and as she ended her roll, she already had an arrow nocked – an arrow she fired true at the demon woman. The arrow struck her in her skull, but then bounced off, not seeming to penetrate her tender demonhide flesh.
Krynyn lept to his feet, his holy symbol already grasped in his palm, quiet prayers of power moving past his determined lips. “Feel my holy wrath, foul demon!” he shouted as an anti-demon storm appeared in mid air, raining down holy pain upon her demon form. As its holy droplets penetrated her skin, I felt her mind go slack.
I boldly stepped forward, reached my mind out to hers, and channeling all of my energy through my brain and into hers, I felt a power surge through me I had never felt before. It grew and grew in power with each step I took toward her, until I could feel the spinal fluid within her brain bubbling and boiling within her. With a last gasp, I let go of her bran, just as the fluid built up to critical levels. I had to avert my eyes as her entire skull then exploded in a massive burst of demonflesh, demonbrains, and demonskull fragments, creating a circle of demon blood soaked ground surrounding her now headless corpse. “Yes!” I shouted over the mindlink. “Be-gone foul demon! Or rather, be-head!”
Ee moved next, rather peeved at my display. “Me want kill her!”
“Don’t worry Ee, my friend,” I said, “I’m sure there are more demons to kill around here.”
In a vote of confirmation of my words, a circular curtain of fire sprung up from the ground, surrounding us all with its scorching flames. Instinctively, my mind threw up a curtain of its own, protecting my body from the harsh elements. It seemed the plane around me continues to awaken powers within me I never knew I had. The flames obscured the surroundings from view, making it impossible to discern where they came from.
Ee, presuming the flames came from the building, charged boldly forth through the curtain of fire, taking it in stride. He had come a long way from his fear of torches.
I also stepped through the fire, my mind still sheathing my body from the elements, keeping most of the heat of the flames at bay. But when I stepped through, I was still unable to see our presumably demonic foe. But wait – there he was, just to the right of the building. But then my vision was gone as it was obscured by yet another curtain of flame, this time in a larger circle around us, cutting through the still-extant ring behind me. This was just going to be one of those combats.
Behind me, I heard through the mindlink, “Stand back,” and then “Follow me! Hole behind you!” from Morwen. Apparently she used her ring to blast a cone of cold through the rear of the wall of flames, making an opening for my companions to escape. I jumped through the second ring of fire and headed toward them, figuring it would be best to keep myself nearby my allies. This turned out to make us a nice target.
Ee, meanwhile, ran all the way into the building before I could slip into his mind my vision of where the demon creature with the red and black scales was standing, “the demon is fifty feet to the right of the building, Ee,” I shouted to him through the link. Ee heard my words and headed back out in his direction.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Four – Some necks are too big to snap

We all moved toward the Salamander, some of us faster than others. Ee was the first to arrive, bruised, battered, and burned from his previous travails, he charged forward and sliced him with his axe. I sent a few globes of cold into him as Ee sliced him up. The Salamander must have been desperate, because he grabbed Ee in a tight embrace, burning him with his flaming aura, and shouted to all of us to stop approaching him or “I’ll snap his neck.”
Not one of us even paused. I communicated to the others, via the mindlink, “Ee’s neck is too thick to snap.” My companions were all equally unimpressed.
Kaurophan sent a few magic missiles into the Salamander. I tried to crush its brain, but my mind could not find purchase in its slippery lizardy mind. Krynyn arrived just in time to heal Ee. We were prepared for one final assault against the Salamander when a final volley of missiles of magic from Kaurophan finished him off.
“That’ll teach those demons to try and take one of us hostage,” I thought to myself.
I walked back over to the headless corpse of the Succubus. Succubus. That name now had meaning for me that it did not before. My mind flooded with imagery and knowledge gleaned from my probe of Kaurophan. A Succubus and a Salamander. Somehow, it all made sense.
Looking down at the headless corpse, I marveled at the circular splash of brains, blood, and spinal fluid sprayed out on the ground. “Only a four foot radius,” I said out loud. “How disappointing!”
She carried a magic spear. Her companion carried a magic long spear of his own. We then returned to our former discussion on the merits of resting locations.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Five – We rest, Kaurophan notices the obvious

Morwen decided again to argue old ground, suggesting we sleep the remainder of the night inside the building rather than out on the rubbled plain. I pointed out to her that the Succubus and Salamander seemed to come from the building, but to no avail. I pointed out that on the plane, it would be difficult for someone to sneak up on us without us seeing them a long way off, to no avail.
We fought like this, with various other parties throwing in their own views on the relative merits of our sleeping position when Kaurophan interrupted. “I thought the Noble Strangers (the nomenclature by which our current visages were known) were much more coherent as a group,” he said. I turned and answered for Marcus, before he could open his mouth, “We’re NOT the noble strangers!” I looked over at Marcus and nodded, hoping he was satisfied once and for all about setting that record straight. Then I went to sleep.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Six – We enter the Citadel of Feathers – And those books smart

Inside, the inner doors, we found the citadel in ruins, rubble strewn everywhere. A statue in the far end of a large, fat, ugly demon looked back at us as we stared down the ruined central hall. Orcus. That statue was of Orcus, a demon worshipped as a god. Again, I found my mind probe with Kaurophan useful. If only it told me when he’d be betraying us. I’ll have to save that for next time.
With lots of mostly fruitless searching, we found some items of marginal value, including a gold cup set with sapphires I found that I figured was worth at least 2,500 pieces of gold. I thought it would look quite nice on my mantle.
We also found a staircase behind the statue, but before we went down, Morwen wanted to check out the other two doors in this room. She opened a door. In all my days as a lawyer, I had heard of barristers hitting the books, but never had I heard them hit back as hard as when they struck Morwen’s skull, nine books in all. Fortunately, she quickly closed the door as she saw a few hundred other books swirling about the air inside.
The other door led to more items of interest, but mostly items of junk.
Kaurophan again seemed rather impatient for us to move forward. He was not happy when we stopped to rest and now he’s not happy from our pause to loot. Presumably, if there are other demons here behind us, they’ll have to come by this way, so we’ll spot them. I’d rather fight them here anyway, than in the middle of some damn test.
Our pause complete, we turned toward the stairwell, and contemplated what lay beneath our feet. Perhaps the first part of the test lay down below. I looked at Kaurophan expectantly.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Seven – One statue down, unfortunately one more to go (later) – and books…

Morwen, badly bruised and beaten from her experience with the flying books, got down on her knees in front of Krynyn and asked for healing. I heard in the minds of some of my companions around me, who shall remain nameless (for that is protected by attorney-client privilege), impure thoughts related to that position that I shall not repeat here. Needless to say, Krynyn acquiesced to her healing request and she was looking much less bruised than she was before she took up speed reading.
I picked up the single book that flew outside of the room and landed at our feet. It appeared to be a treatise on the celestial religion. I figured it was worth around five pieces of gold. Apparently, that was enough for Morwen to drop it into one of her many merchandise storage bags. She then declared that she wanted to see about the rest of the books. I suggested it was an unwise idea. However, she was determined, so I took cover behind some rubble and watched as she attempted to disarm whatever mechanism of magic triggered her previous literary assault. She declared success and opened the door as I dove for further cover. When her book-battered corpse did not appear in the doorway, I decided to take a look for myself. Perhaps some books in there would enlighten me further about planar lore. I was not entirely disappointed.
Inside the ancient library, I found hundreds of books, mostly floating around, but some on the shelves as well. Skimming through the musty volumes, I found 21 more books of marginal worth, much like the one I perused in the outer hall. But three of the books, three were special. They were ancient texts on celestial religions long since vanished, that would likely catch a thousand pieces of gold each to the shrewd collector. I began to see more uses for the obscure planar knowledge that my mind probe of Kaurophan had granted me. It also made me wonder just why he knew so much about subjects so obscure even to the loremasters of the planes.
Once we had finished our ancient book tour, we returned to the hall and headed toward the staircase down. As we passed the statue of Orcus, Morwen took that opportunity to knock it over onto its face, smashing it with a bit of rubble from the dirty floor. As we descended, Krynyn commented that the construction of the stairs did not seem to match that of the Citadel itself. But he could not discern if it was older or newer in construction.
Strangely, Kaurophan was unable to step off of the stairs, even if “helped” by E trying to carry him into the room. He said he couldn’t go because he had already failed the first test. Morwen was especially suspicious of him at this point, as was I. I had a few questions for him, but I put them down for after the test.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Eight – Examination part One – The Test of Judgment

The roughly-hewn stairs led down to a roughly-hewn room filled with the scent of cloves, spice, and even cinnamon. All in an attempt to hide the rather putrid smell of the corpse wrapped in cloth funeral wrappings sitting behind a large oak desk that smiled when we entered. Or was it just a case of it lacking any lips. I did not inquire further into that tiny curiosity.
I noticed a large metal door on both the north and south walls of the room, to either side of the corpse-proctor’s desk. Then the speech began.
In a soft, sand-papery voice, rasping with supernatural breath, the desiccated corpse spoke, “Adimcarcus, most potent ruler of Occipitus, welcomes you to the test of the Smoking Eye. Know, then, that you are a pretender to his throne. If you are worthy, step forward and take the Test of Judgment.”
He then pointed to each door, and indicated that the north door was Thanthnak, the Beblith, and beyond the other door was Halalia, an Avorial Guardian. From my newfound library of planar knowledge, I determined that a beblith was a rather nasty extra-planar spider, while the avorial was actually a good aligned creature reminiscent of a bird-man. Visions of myself cocooned in spider silk over an abyss while a giant spider sucked my brains out for a snack compelled me to go with door number two. E agreed to go with me that way, but Morwen and Krynyn seemed determined to fight the evil spider. They were afraid they’d have to kill a good-aligned creature to pass. While I had no such fears, I again hoped for the exam to be written. I figured a good creature would be more open to negotiations. Perhaps if we assured the creature that we had the best of intentions, he could give us a “pass” and no one need have their brains sucked out. Plus, Morwen was all for the spider, so I knew I had made the right choice.
Simultaneously, Morwen and I opened our respective doors. I saw a room; she saw a large spider moving down toward her, ready to suck her brains out. She closed her door and I went through mine.
Inside was a room filled with tiny birdcages and, in the far end, inside a silver circle, was Halalia. He said he had been imprisoned for centuries. Ok, there’s a good negotiation position to begin from.
Morwen freed him from his circle with a brush of her blade on the silver powder on the floor. I then readied my lawyer’s briefs for negotiations on our part. My primary goal was to get him to tell the test proctor that we “passed” his part of the test. He claimed to deny knowing anything about any test or proctor. Slick opening move for negotiations. When we were finished, he did agree he was grateful for our helping him, but he seemed perturbed by something Morwen had said, and he was unwilling to do more than offer us some healing and then be on his way.
We then left the room through the far door and found ourselves in another chamber, one covered with frescoes of demons and devils in epic combat.

Cordozo – Chapter Sixty-Nine – We passed the bar – and all we got was this stupid lantern

As we stepped into the room, the proctor of death appeared again and offered his congratulations. He offered a little advice, telling us to deal with rivals first and enemies second. It made me think back on our “friend” Kaurophan. He then said the lantern was for the next test, the Test of Resolve, and then he vanished. I guess we are on the honor system for this exam.
Standing upon a dais was a large metal lantern on a chain that shone a beam of light in only a single direction. I picked it up and spun it around. It pointed right back out of the door we originated from. We followed it all the way out of the cathedral. It was unanimously decided that I would carry it, since, as E adroitly observed, “he fight good with head. Give him lantern.”
We met up again with Kaurophan, who seemed to be keeping quite a distance from Halalia. Krynyn confirmed what we long suspected, that he was one evil bastard, so I informed him that, to continue on to the second test with us, he’d have to pass a test of our own making involving my brain in his head. He backed up, then ran and disappeared as soon as he heard that “suggestion.” I knew it. Another evil employer trying to get us to help him take over some plane or summon some evil god. And people think lawyers are bad. I know better. And lawyers will ALWAYS win a Test of Judgment. And if not, we can always appeal a judgment.
We stepped outside and began the long walk in the direction of the lantern’s light toward our destination.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy – Even on an outer plane, it seems, there is a penalty for loitering.

Boldly, we strode forth, for many hours walking on the strangely flesh-like ground of the plane. We turned a bend and came upon a strange feathered creature that my library of planar knowledge told me was a coutl. He spoke to us in our minds, something I think we are all used to by now. I was certainly interested in comparing notes on what powers his mind gives him and how he manages to control it all. Unfortunately, as we became lost in conversation, we stopped walking, and found ourselves back at the Citadel of Feathers. Damn test. It didn’t take much for us to reason that stopping our forward motion ended the test of our resolve.
Five swear words and seven hours later, we returned to where the coutl was sitting on a rock. It again asked us, “do you really think you can pass the test?” and this time, we said “yes” and kept on walking. We also offered to help him leave the plane, in exchange for his assistance. He agreed, and walked with us. And so onward we traveled.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-One – Something stinks, and it isn’t E after a long combat.

We seemed to be nearing our probable destination when we came upon a large, fat, ugly, and apparently very smelly demon of the abyss. My inter-cranial planar library spat out a reference to a Hezrou demon, and I also managed to recall that it had no particular vulnerabilities to various forms of energy. Thus, cold, it would be.
I immediately sent forth a ball of cold against its fat form, making sure to take a few steps forward as I did so to maintain our forward motion. Sadly, it would not be enough, requiring drastic action. But now I am getting ahead of myself.
E then boldly charged forward, nearly reaching its wretched demon form. Then the demon stepped toward E, and immediately E started retching and vomiting as he was overcome with a nausea I could feel myself through my mindlink with E. E stood there, helpless, soon joined by Morwen, equally nauseated. And joined by no one else, because at that moment, myself, the coutl, Marcus, and Krynyn were all teleported back to the beginning yet again. Apparently, a few steps were not enough.
And now E and Morwen were alone and helpless against a rather nasty demon from the abyss. Something needed to be done.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Two – Drastic action as I perform drastic mental reshuffling.

As I stood there gazing out on the vast plain ahead of us, wondering if our companions left behind were still alive, I reached my mind out and tried to will us all to where we were. But my power failed – it was simply too far to go, by about forty miles. I could almost feel it, but I simply could not manage it. Finally, the seed of an idea sprung forth. I rushed to Marcus’ bag and pulled out the orb that allows one to change one’s past destiny. I knew it would be a major change, perhaps changing who I was, forever, but I simply could not let my companions die on this horrid plane. So I did what lawyers do best when dealing with an unwanted judgment – I appealed and amended my brief.
I felt myself drawn inward, reliving past experiences over many months, and reliving them again, only making different choices than before. I felt powers spring forth into my mind that I knew I never had before even as other powers, long familiar, faded away to dim memories. In my haste out of concern for the ongoing battle with my friends, I did not spend much time learning just what my new powers were, beyond focusing on a single one of importance – a power beyond the one I found before, a power to travel long distances with but a thought. A power to return to the site of the battle and save my companions from what seemed to be certain death.
With newfound determination, I grasped the hands of the large coutl and of Krynyn, and willed us all back to a spot 100 feet shy of our last location. I wanted to leave plenty of room to keep moving forward on the plane of battle. I left Marcus behind only because I could not carry his weight, but I would return to him at the earliest time I could.
The situation was dire, as I had thought. Morwen and E were puking their guts out as the beast slashed them and covered them with its evil enchantments. But the tide changed with our arrival. Then we had four people puking or stunned instead of two. I kept moving forward, at least thirty short paces every time I sent forth the power of my mind against the beast. I sent balls of cold, boiled his cerebral fluid, and I even sent him insulting mental imagery, but to no avail. And, to my horror, I discovered my lantern-lit path would take me right by the beast, subjecting me to its foul odor and its razor sharp claws.
As I braced myself for the inevitable rending of my flesh to the bones and probable death, I moved past the beast, only to feel a gentle breeze over the back of my neck instead of the stinging of its claws. Somehow, one of the powers of my mind deflected the beast from striking true, and spared my life as I moved quickly by its hulking form. I could feel new powers of protection surging through me. Maybe this was not my fated time to die.
My companions also chose this moment to rally, holding their breaths to stave off the foul odor as they rended our foe into strips of demon flesh. The demon then transformed itself into a cloud of gas and began to make its escape through the air above the fleshy plain. I filed my final motion, ending his motions and closing his case. I sent forth a stream of fire through the cloud, watching with satisfaction as the flames burned away his essence. His body then reformed in mid-air and came crashing to the ground, forming a fleshy, leathery crater in the strange soil of the plane.
Morwen and Krynyn made quick work of his corpse, divesting him of his wealth (his stink having made him filthy-rich). I idly wondered just what a demon from the abyss was doing carrying around a rolled up painting of a snooty aristocrat. But at least it had great value to a collector.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Three – The path gets tricky – and lonely out in front

After nine hours of travel on the plains, we found ourselves in the midst of a strange-looking place. There were tons of broken weapons, armor, and bones covering a vast field filled with large egg-like objects attached to the leathery ground. And the path continued right through it, in a strange, twisting path that seemed to have no rhyme nor reason, save assuring that we would spend a very long time walking through this area.
Almost immediately, Morwen spotted something inside one of the large eggs. It turned out to be yet another coutl, this time one that was badly wounded and unconscious. Krynyn healed him up as best he could, but he still did not awaken. Our other coutl companion took it upon himself to carry this new-found “friend” and we continued on the path.
Not long after, we found yet another “egg” filled with something that caught our attention – this time something shiny. A large golden bastard sword, a cloak, and some bracers were found within its disgusting leathery insides. Of course, while they were looting, I kept on walking forward, getting further and further away from my companions, even as I ended up walking almost backwards down the twisting, lantern-lit path.
Then the next surprise reared its extremely ugly head. A large creature with many legs and evil, glowing eyes. I only caught a glimpse of it as I continued to move forward on the path, by myself, and further away from my companions. There is a good reason I usually stand well behind (and between) my better-armed and armored companions. I’m a rather soft and easy meal for most bests. I felt my level of anxiety increase with each step further from my companions. My anxiety almost seemed to take a solid form, as it slipped forth from my mind, and I began to feel as if my anxiety was now enshrouding me in a shimmering shell of some sort. I did not know what to make of it, but I decided it felt warm and cozy and I relished its embrace.
In the meanwhile, my companions did battle with this long-legged beast, in an epic battle that I mostly ignored as I followed the path. When I finally turned back, I discovered that we had another statue to deal with, a statue that looked remarkably like E. That worried me greatly, until I remembered that Marcus had that stone that allowed one to use the power of the mind to bend the very nature of reality. If memory served, that stone would function in a matter of days. There were only two problems, then. One, was how would we get to the end of this path without E to fight for us, and two, how would we survive out in this infernal plane for another week, waiting for that power to blossom.
I looked at the path ahead of me, and fervently wished for the end to appear. Either that, or for at least one of my companions to join me where I had traveled, far away from their position. I felt my anxiety shell tighten around me. Now if only I had a power that could manifest a large, cozy security blanket, I would be set for the challenges ahead.

Altalazar

First Post
Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Four –Resolve, Retreat, Regroup, Rest

Things looked somewhat grim. I felt secure in my person, but with Ee a statue of solid rock, a Coutl still incapacitated, and our resources much depleted in mind and magic, I decided a retreat was in order to rest and regroup, and perhaps solve our magically-induced problems. I signaled for my companions to gather together around Ee’s inert form. Krynyn gathered up the strength and resolve of his deity and lifted the Ee’s massive stone bulk off of the spongy ground and held him tightly. With a quick thought through my mind, I was standing amongst them, the lantern still grasped in my hand. A moment later, our forward progress thus stalled, we found ourselves back at the beginning, by the Citadel of Feathers. Just where we wanted to be.
Marcus, who was there waiting for us, called forth the power of his god, and attempted to remove any curses or hexes upon the Coutl. Much to our relief, he awoke. Much to our chagrin, he seemed poised to attack us, being somewhat out of sorts at his demon-plane-induced slumber. I pulled forth the most powerful weapon in my arsenal – my arguments, and I convinced him that we were on his side, that we helped him, that we helped his fellow Coutl, and that we would greatly appreciate it if he would, in turn, help us. The rage blinked from his eyes and he agreed to aid us, no matter where that might take him on this plane. I smiled, flush with the feel of victory won in a hard-argued case, put away my briefcase, and prepared to retire for the night.
We rested for the night, my mind refreshed, the healers’ powers renewed. Krynyn broke the enchantment on Ee, returning him to his normal, though no less stony in disposition, self. And we began, yet again, the long journey down the lantern-lit path of the Test of Resolve.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Five – Demons stink

After seven hours of travel over extremely familiar ground, we found ourselves ambushed yet again by two demons of the odorous variety. Unfortunately, the path I trod led right past them, requiring me to move at least fifteen feet toward them (and through their rather nasty claws) to keep from having to start all over again, yet again.
The two Coutls bravely charged forward, surrounding one of the demons. They did not seem to harm it much, however, and one of them was banished back from whence he came, leaving us down one friendly Coutl.
Even more unfortunately, they said a word of blasphemous evil that stunned all of us in our tracks, save Morwen, who was just out of its reach. Had she not run past me and grabbed the lantern to carry it forth, we would have had trouble. Later I grabbed it back from her, but I did not travel far enough afield to avoid another evil word and, this time, I was sent back, along with the Coutl, who stood near me unseen.
Before I vanished, however, Krynyn called forth the power of his god to raise a storm of pure holy righteousness, a storm that the demons could not resist and which sent them scurrying away from its center even as it rended their evil hides with its holy might. The demons kept their distance from the storm and my companions huddled in the warmth of its center as the demons sent forth their evil words and magics against them.
In the meanwhile, my friendly Coutl healed himself and promised to return us to whence we came. I tried to do so with the power of my own mind, but again, found my range lacking beyond the furthest point I could easily see. I instead readied myself for battle, wrapping my body with the protective powers of my mind, and I formulated a plan for when I returned.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Six – Demon storm

After several moments, I found myself back from whence I came, on the path lit by the lantern. I noted the storm still in full swing and the large demons that kept their distance from its holy embrace. I wrapped up the nearest demon in my mind into a swirling vortex of mental energy, twisting its body and wrenching it from its location in space to a new location of my choosing. And I chose to place it directly in the center of the anti-demon storm, much to its sorrow. My vortex rended its mind, the storm rended its flesh, and the demon wracked in agony as it felt its life slipping away, though it still stood its ground.
My companions continued their assault on the demons, and the demons sent forth more evil words, but this time too far from my ears. Before the lantern-lit path grew too distant for me to effect it, I grabbed the other demon with a swirling vortex of mental energy, and this time, I deposited it thirty feet in the air over the storm, and over the form of the other demon. Its body twisted in agony from my wrenching dimensional twist, then it screamed in agony as the tendrils of the storm ripped its flesh, and then it felt the cold, hard kiss of the plane as the ground broke its fall, narrowly missing hitting its demon companion. One further glancing blow from Morwen was all it took for that demon to be sent back to the abyss from whence it came. And its companion soon followed.
My companions looted the bulbous demon flesh while I continued my journey forward, reaching the strange and twisting path we found before, where Ee met his temporary destiny as sculptured art.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Seven – Demon of steel and fire

We did not travel long on the path before we encountered another monstrosity, this one entirely constructed from some foul magics of the demonworld, if my newfound stolen planar knowledge was accurate. Not wishing to take any chances about our returning to the start, I spent several moments adding protective thoughts to my form to avoid any unfortunate incidents stopping the forward motion of the lantern. My companions charged and parried with the beast, to no great effect, beyond the powerful blows dealt by Krynyn as he embodied the living strength of his god and grew to eight times his size.
As my path turned back toward the beast, I sent forth a massive bolt of electricity, which it seemed to like none too well. A final volley of blows from clerics large and small felled the beast and cleared the way for our final encounter with the proctor of death.

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Eight – A final test

We reached the end of the path and found ourselves transported to another place, a fibrous forest, where the mummy lord proctor again congratulated us for passing a test, this time, the Test of Resolve. It warned us not to let distractions of treasure, friends, or foes keep us from the path – it seemed like rather late to give that advice. Then it offered the final test, that of Sacrifice, as led by our lantern. Wonderful. Just who, or what do we sacrifice?
We crossed the plane of cysts and found ourselves at a giant skull. Right on the steps of the entrance to the skull lay a raven-winged fallen angel, spiked to the ground with multiple large spears. As my companions began to debate the relative merits of rescuing a fallen angel, I offered my frank advice, “Aw, c’mon, let’s save the poor bastard.” With that, the spears were pulled out and healing was applied. As the final spear was drawn forth, I noticed Marcus’ pocket was glowing with that same strange glow that led us down this rather twisted path.
Saureya was his name, and he claimed to have been on this plane since it fell from Celestra and down into the abyss. Talk about a sentence of life. I had never before contemplated the legal penalty of planar banishment when a whole plane was what was to be banished. I wondered what court would hear an appeal of such a sentence. I imagined the contingency fees would be high and likely not of a monetary nature.
Marcus asked him, “How can I assist you in any way that I can? What can I do?” The fallen angel did not offer much, but some advice. He suggested that we leave, “unless you want to grow fur,” referring to the rakshasa and fire giant that staked him to the ground and left to take the final test. Apparently, if they pass, then they would control the plane and we would definitely not want to be there. They had ten minutes on us.
Saureya also let us in on a secret – the test that mattered was the final test. If you knew where it was, you need not even attempt the first two tests. The proctors were too dim to know the difference.
I asked him how he was thrown so low. Saureya said he broke Celestial law. My ears perked up. “What law did you break?” But he did not elaborate.
I pointed out to Marcus that his pocket was glowing, and he pulled out the stone.
“Hey, that’s mine,” the fallen angel exclaimed. “That is an artifact that has been in my family for ages.” We explained how we got it, and he said that his sister was the one who we met before. I could already sense the impending family reunion. Marcus handed him the stone and he was bathed in a glowing light for ten minutes. Arcs of lightning seemed to protect him from any touch. When the light show was complete, his wings were now white feathers rather than raven feathers, and he no longer looked fallen. He looked like an angel. And we all looked like ourselves again.
Marcus was still eager to sally forth for the final test. I decided to make a show of arguing with the angel to help us with it, but it was clear that it was not for us. I argued that the test was for those whose visages we had borrowed, and that our task was simply to rescue this angel. I certainly did not want to follow the path set forth for us by yet another evil demon employer who was likely to betray us if he ever saw us again.
Just for good measure, the angel informed us that we were too weak to control the plane even if we passed the test, and that we’d just be targets for every demon this side of the abyss who wanted to challenge us for supremacy of this plane. That was enough for me. “Ok, let’s leave.” Marcus was finally convinced when his god told him it was not a task he could complete. I held my tongue even as my thoughts rolled forth, “As if one needs to consult a deity to gather that little nugget of wisdom.”

Cordozo – Chapter Seventy-Nine – Angelic reunion

We plane shifted back to whence we came, into the city of Cauldron. I think it was back to where it was before our little angelic interlude-on-a-celestial-plane-in-the-abyss. In return for our service, they magically identified all of the strange and wondrous items we had found, saving us the trouble of using the channels of commerce for such a feat.
Thinking back on all that I had seen and heard and had to kill, I contemplated a vacation. I began a search for information about pending criminal trials and another search about where one could find the best popped corn kernels for the occasion.

Remove ads