Mercurial Greatsword

genshou

First Post
Thank you, reapersaurus

Great screen name, btw. And of course it's more powerful. A quarterstaff in the right (usually ranger or fighter) hands is more powerful than a greataxe (10 attacks per round for a 10th-level tempest with both heads enchanted with speed), dealing 10d6 damage from all the attacks if they all hit. Then add 1.5 Str mod x5, as well as any other modifiers that apply, and it comes out far better as magic and other bonuses are added. I've done 90 pgs. of number-crunching with weapon attack rolls and damage, and found that TWF is more powerful than anything else unless you are stupid and use two daggers compared to a scythe. And most of those attacks except for perhaps the lowest attack with each weapon will almost always hit, if you are a more attack-oriented char not constantly fighting dragons. The only real time the scythe is better is against a foe with DR you can't overcome with your weapon's enhancement bonus. Now think of using, say, two scimitars, or a falchion with monkey grip and a scimitar. Certain equipment and spells are more powerful than others. That's why they cost more, or in the case of "good" spells other than harm, allow saving throws AND SR. The 15th-level wizard shouldn't be chastised for using admixed fireballs to deal 30d6 pts. of damage with a 7th-level spell. The fact that it's more powerful than other 7th-level spells is insignificant to me. I don't force all my players to be pansies hiding behind their mothers' skirts, and yet I still keep game balance. It's not as hard as certain people on this board (who I cannot name for both their honor and mine) make it seem.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Moved to Rules forum.

Carceri, welcome to the ENworld boards. Please note that while you are welcome, even encouraged to state your opinions, please respect the opinions of others. Please read the FAQ, or email myself or any of the mods, with any questions.

Last edited:

SweeneyTodd

First Post
The issue here is synergy. Any one effect that increases critical threat range or damage multiplier isn't that bad, but stacking several together to do the same thing is unbalancing.

A fighter that has spent their feats maximizing their threat range with a given weapon is going to be *brutal* with it,when one might argue the real intent of all those bonus feats is for that fighter to be well-rounded.

The obvious balance response is to occasionally take away that specialized weapon, but then the overspecialized character feels frustrated. It's almost like superhero games where the powered armor character is captured and temporarily loses his armor. Hey, there has to be some penalty for that kind of thing, but the player feels useless until they get it back.

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
Two Words for you:

Sunder it.

If the guy's being a real pain for you with his uber-twink weapon of doom, take it away and don't let him get another (at the very least don't allow him to get another MGS of the Planes).

If that's not a viable option then you're only real option, IMHO, is to crank up the EL's. Or, do the Living Greyhawk thing and template the living hell out of the critters you throw at them. Change the creature's type to something other than Outsider. Maybe the bad guys they're fighting against call in some outside help...nothing like some high powered mercs that are as nasty as the PC's (remember to make them Neutral too, just because they're working for the bad guys doesn't make the evil).

Remember, the game's supposed to be fun for you as well as them.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Carceri said:
I started this thread as a rant. This wasn't a thread asking "Help! What do I do about min/maxers?" I've been playing this game since 1984. Yes, I am an old school game geek. Not trying to be rude here, but it seems some people are starting to get just a little condescending with me.

I was trying to help, and I think almost everyone else was, too.

By the way, I've been playing since 1979. I graduated high school in 1984. I guess I'm old school also.

Remove ads