D&D 5E Merlin and Arthur or Batman and zatana

Chaosmancer

Legend
Your version makes it sound like non magic characters SHOULDN’T get things because they are based on random firefighter or cop not equal heroes.

Maybe you could take the first sentence to mean that. But how does "We are using the analogy to show the problem!" lead you to think that I don't want this to change? I'm calling it a problem. I even added another sentence, "I'm NOT saying I WANT this to be the case." I literally clarify that I am not saying I want non-magic characters to have nothing. I want them to have things.

I think the major disconnect between me and GMforPowergamers is that I was using this analogy between superheroes to highlight the CURRENT PROBLEM, and he was using it to demonstrate his IDEAL SOLUTION. This is why I think there was the insistence that the fact Batman was completely inconsistent was a benefit, while I was saying it was a problem. He saw the inconsistences of Batman as the changing of levels. In Batman solo stories Batman is de-leveled to a lower level, and therefore weaker, but in the crossover stories he is leveled up, and that's why he is stronger. So, to him, the more powerful versions of Batman were the higher-level versions. My issue with that is that the stories are not chronological. Batman solo stories and Batman Crossover stories happen at the same time. Batman goes and does a crossover, then goes and does a solo story, meaning that his level would be swinging wildly over time.

I'm also not sure that stating that non-magic users should simply be "stronger, tougher, and deal more damage" than casters, is actually terribly helpful. People would argue that is already the case, with the d10 HD, multiple attacks, ect. The bigger issue comes in utility, which is part of why, if I am going to settle for being simply stronger and tougher, I want it to be clearly inhuman levels of strength. I want them to be able to leap buildings, shatter the earth beneath their foes, running non-stop for weeks. Once you can reach those sorts of levels of physical attributes, then they start going beyond combat and into utility use. I want them to have more than this, but I can settle for this for now, because it will give us the proper direction for once at the very least.

I think the major disconnect between me and GMforPowergamers is that I was using this analogy between superheroes to highlight the CURRENT PROBLEM, and he was using it to demonstrate his IDEAL SOLUTION.
correct
This is why I think there was the insistence that the fact Batman was completely inconsistent was a benefit, while I was saying it was a problem. He saw the inconsistences of Batman as the changing of levels. In Batman solo stories Batman is de-leveled to a lower level, and therefore weaker, but in the crossover stories he is leveled up, and that's why he is stronger.
correct sometimes he is street level and sometimes cosmic... The Character from Batman begins couldn't fight parademons on a bet... but in BvS and JL that batman CAN.

Remove ads