MERP Middle Earth Role Play Questions

Muminalver

First Post
Check out HARP from ice, it has an free light version, and it is very good, almost removes all the tables, very easy to customize to your needs.
used it instead of 3.5..

pawsplay

Hero
Basically, MERP should never be played with humans. It has about as many charts as Rolemaster, and not nearly the convincing case that you get much for it. There is a lot of ME inappropriate material in it. There is a lot of really good source material in it, but unfortunately, it's mixed up with stuff they made up or D&D-isms (like clerics who heal). So you can't be sure what the straight stuff is.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I've been looking for a change and was wondering what the system was like for MERP. Is it bad? Good?

With all the books available for MERP is seems to have alot of potential and was wondering if Warhammer FRP system would work well with the MERP background books.

Comments are welcome. Thanks.
Set aside the part about being a licensed Middle-Earth RPG product back in the days, MERP was a Lite version of Rolemaster.

Of course, one has to be a fan of critical hits table and the large combat matrix spreadsheet ... like me ... in order to enjoy such a game. It uses open-ended d100 rolls for resolving tasks, magic takes longer to cast (unless you wish to cast the magic quickly but that usually results in lesser effect).

If you can find it, get it, unless you're not a collector. But if you do get, play it and if it's enjoyable for your group, have at it.

awayfarer

First Post
I really can't recommend MERP. Long tables, wonky skill lists (everyone make a hygiene roll!) unbalanced character creation, etc.

Possibly I'm confusing some of this with Rolemaster, as the Middle Earth group I played with tended to pick and choose from either. They're pretty similar though, and it seemes to me they have the same problems.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I really can't recommend MERP. Long tables, wonky skill lists (everyone make a hygiene roll!) unbalanced character creation, etc.

Possibly I'm confusing some of this with Rolemaster, as the Middle Earth group I played with tended to pick and choose from either. They're pretty similar though, and it seemes to me they have the same problems.
It's an acquired flavor. :cool:

dbm

Savage!
We played MERP back in the late 80's, and I would agree with the comments posted above. The system is RoleMaster Lite - so you have most of the complexity and lots of charts to consult. On the flip side, I personally prefere RoleMaster when it is full-on: if y're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!

I would also concur that MERP is a poor simulation of the Middle Earth world, and the magic system is the biggest offender here. The magic is fairly generic sword and sorcery in feel; nothing like what you get in the novels.

Personally, I would go with a customised version of one of the more generic systems (probably GURPS) if I wanted to play in the Middle Earth setting.

Cheers,
Dan

Remove ads