MERP Middle Earth Role Play Questions

Gallo22

First Post
I've been looking for a change and was wondering what the system was like for MERP. Is it bad? Good?

With all the books available for MERP is seems to have alot of potential and was wondering if Warhammer FRP system would work well with the MERP background books.

Comments are welcome. Thanks.

Ulrick

First Post
I have both MERP and WFRP. Both are great systems. But I don't know mixing the WFRP rule with MERP would work well. It'd seem to accomplish little since both systems address critical hits, corruption, the corrupting power of magic, and so on.

I think maybe WFRP might play faster, but its been awhile since I've run both games.

MERP is known for its great detail of Middle-Earth, and that's its greatest attraction for me. Also, MERP's critical hit combat charts aren't as complicated as Rolemaster, its big brother.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Some of the books are great sources of 'fluff'. The system is not suitable for LotR-style play, whatsoever. Or Middle Earth roleplaying, in general. Woeful mismatch, as has been known to happen fairly often in this crazy ol' hobby of ours. ;)

There are any number of systems that could be made to work so much better. But yes, by all means, I would heartily recommend checking out a few of the sourcebooks.

I agree on checking out the sourcebooks. I have a few of them myself. I like the one about the Valar paticularly. I've wanted to run a campaign of it myself for a while, but haven't found anyone interested near me.

Stormborn

Explorer
I've been looking for a change and was wondering what the system was like for MERP. Is it bad? Good?

Is HATE a strong enough term? There are few system that I have played that conjure in me such a negative reaction. And it all has to do with Tables. I hate having to look everything up on a table.

As source books go, great. But if I never have to see one again I will be happy.

Last edited:

Razuur

First Post
We use True20 for our Middle-Earth roleplaying.

It is perfect for it. We use the MERP supplements (which I have always found amazing) as pure source material for the game.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Razuur

Voadam

Legend
Its like a crunchy AD&D with a couple 3eisms and extensive critical hit tables.

With all the books available for MERP is seems to have alot of potential and was wondering if Warhammer FRP system would work well with the MERP background books.

WFRP professions are pretty well suited to the WFRP gritty Faux Europe world of WFRP. Its got elves and hobbits and dwarves and the Tolkien monsters which work well but witch hunters, rat catchers, judicial champions, troll slayers, and demonologists just don't seem a good match to Middle Earth IMO.

Tailoring the flavor of classes or excising some might be necessary to mesh the two and keep the middle earth tone. Of course injecting the WFRP tone into middle earth might make for an interesting unique Middle Earth experience.

Korgoth

First Post
MERP's a fun game. It's basically Rolemaster Lite (which is a good thing, because it keeps the fun stuff from RM without all the extra crazy crunch).

Combat is really brutal, though. A hillman doesn't just chop you with his axe, he chops off your ear (permanent penalty to hearing checks). A pit doesn't just hurt you, it breaks your leg (hopefully it heals some day!). Likewise, you don't just slash the orc with your sword, you disembowel him.

It is quite literally "visceral". Like if Mel Gibson directed the LOTR films as an homage to Peckinpah's "Wild Bunch".

I think you should try it.

Remove ads