Messages Being Marked Read Upon Arrival

cybertalus

First Post
Anyone else having this problem?

It's been happening for me all week, usually in the evenings. I come to the messageboards and there's all kind of new messages showing on the forums list, but when I go into one of the forums (usually Meta, since I read the boards from the bottom up), all the messages have been marked as read and the "You last Visited" indicator reads about 1 minute before the current time.

Earlier tonight I logged out and manually deleted all the EN World cookies I could find, but it happened again just now.

I'm using Opera 9.00 on XP SP2.

Greylock

First Post
It happens to me every once and a while. It usually means someone is Roto-Rootering the DB, and things will be back to normal soon.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Piratecat said:
This happens to me on an erratic basis; I'm not sure why.
It also happens to me, but I get another interesting effect. A few random threads also decide that I haven't read them no matter how many times I read them.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
this happens to me sometimes on my home computer, but i've never had it happen to me at work. weird.

Michael Morris

First Post
vbulletin 3.0 uses a cookie to track which threads you've read and which ones you haven't since your last visit. The system is glitchy at best since cookies can expire and sessions can time out. When we upgrade to 3.5 (or at this point 3.6) this issue will go away as it was addressed in the core code.

Chris and I have started discussing what will need to be done for this, but nothing will be starting until after Gencon.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I always thought it was weird that a thread would be marked as unread randomly, even if I was the last poster. :confused:

Not that the read/unread status of a thread bothers me. It's not too hard to look at the time of the most recent post.

cybertalus

First Post
The strangest thing is that this has never happened on my first visit of the day to EN World. It's always my second and later visits of the day that produce the problem.

In any case, Opera 9.01 (which I installed today) does include a cookie handling fix in it, but I'm thinking if it was purely an Opera problem that I would have been having it since I upgraded to 9.0 several weeks ago, but this has only been a problem for me since Monday.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the info. If it keeps up, I guess I'll be looking forward to that vBulletin upgrade.

Remove ads