D&D 5E messy's 5e newbie questions thread

MarkB

Legend
25. a ranger with a bow does d8+dex damage. at level 2 he can cast hunter's mark, increasing the damage to d8+dex+d6. at level 3 the colossus slayer ability increases damage to 2d8+dex+d6. with this capability, why do people think the ranger is underpowered?
Hunter's Mark is a spell, not a class feature, and Rangers can cast only a paltry number of spells per day.

It's also a Concentration spell, which means that (a) any Ranger who gets into combat is likely to lose it within a round or two, and (b) if they've got it running, they can't cast any other Concentration spell without losing it.

And a ridiculous proportion of the Ranger's spell list is made up of Concentration spells.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
2. why do we get stats for the underdark elf (drow) but not the underdark dwarf (duergar) or the underdark gnome (svirfneblin)?
They’re in a different book. I think the real question is why Drow are in the PHB instead of the EEPG, and I think the answer is Drizzt.

3. why isn't there a skill for constitution? it could be called stamina.
What would such a skill be used for?

4. i see there's different damage rolled when using a versatile weapon two-handed. does this mean the 1.5 strength bonus is no longer added to damage? as i recall, in 4e the damage bonus was a flat +1.
Correct.

5. what happened to the paladin's divine grace?
I’m not sure what you mean.

6. why do characters get an ability score improvement at level 19 rather than 20? is this an attempt to avoid dead levels?
I think it’s so that the classes can all have unique and interesting capstone abilities at 20.

7. why do fighters get 2 extra ability score improvements (at levels 6 and 14) and rogues get 1 extra (at level 10)?
...because those are features of those classes? I feel like I’m missing something that’s going into this question.

8. why are the sections on preparing and casting spells so complex? suddenly, i'm longing for the good old days of simple, vancian casting.
I’m guessing you played 3.5? Everyone is a sorcerer who can change their list of known spells every day.

9. why are there so many different ability-use systems (at will, regain after short rest, regain after short rest or long rest, point pool use, superiority dice, etc.)?
5th edition went through a pretty rigorous public play testing and survey process, and surveys revealed high demand for a variety of different resource systems.

10. can finesse weapons be used two-handed? would there be any benefit?
There’s nothing stopping you from wielding any weapon in two hands, but there is no special benefit for doing so unless it has the Versatile property. There are no weapons with both Finesse and Versatile in the PHB, nor are there any with both Finesse and Two-handed. Technically there’s no reason a DM couldn’t make up a custom weapon with either of those combinations of properties.

11. i'm a little confused about short rest healing. let's say bob the 8th level fighter takes a short rest. he can roll 8d10 healing during this rest, and these dice are replenished after a long rest. is that correct?
More or less. Bob has 8 of a resource called Hit Dice. On a short rest, Bob can spend any number of his Hit Dice. For each Hit Die Bob spends, he rolls a d8, adds his Constitution modifier to the result, and regains that many hit points. On a long rest, Bob regains all of his Hit points and 4 Hit Dice.

12. what's the math behind advantage/disadvantage? does it correspond to a simple +2/-2? or is it way more complicated than that?
Way more complicated. It works on a bell curve based on the number needed on the die to succeed. If you need a natural 10 or 11, Dis/Advantage is roughly equivalent to -/+5 If you need a natural 20 or 1, Dis/Advantage is worth a little less than -/+2 (I think).

13. why don't fear effects target charisma saves? one aspect of charisma is confidence, after all.
Because they target Wisdom saves. Why WotC decided to have them target Wisdom
Saves instead of Charisma is anyone’s guess. I think they wanted Dex, Con, and Wis saves to be more common than Str, Int, and Cha saves.

14. do critical hits need to be confirmed? i see no mention of this, so i really hope it was dropped...
Nope, it was dropped.

15. what's with all the omitted spells? no prismatic sphere?
They’re only “omitted” if you assume that Because a spell existed in a previous edition, it must exist in all subsequent editions.

16. i've heard there is a pdf of revised classes available for download somewhere. where can this be found?
I’ve never heard of that.

23. multiclassing seems to follow the 3e model, but when leveling up in a new class you only gain proficiency in some of the new class' armor, weapons, skills. does this make multiclassing even weaker than it was?

Yes, intentionally so. It was felt that 3rd edition punished players for not multiclassing. The default in 5e is that the majority of characters will be single classed. Hence optional rule.

However, the caster level stacking is a bit more user friendly than 3rd edition.

24. is the battle master fighter the 5e equivalent of the 4e warlord?

It's intended to fill the same story niche. It is functionally different though. 5e is simplified over 4e and doesn't include some of the functionality.

25. a ranger with a bow does d8+dex damage. at level 2 he can cast hunter's mark, increasing the damage to d8+dex+d6. at level 3 the colossus slayer ability increases damage to 2d8+dex+d6. with this capability, why do people think the ranger is underpowered?

It's more a case of people missing their decent combat pets and strong favoured enemy buffs than a real weakness.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
23. multiclassing seems to follow the 3e model, but when leveling up in a new class you only gain proficiency in some of the new class' armor, weapons, skills. does this make multiclassing even weaker than it was?

This has been a trend since 3.5 stepped back a bit from multiclassing in D&D 3.0. A big problem is classes start with a bunch of initial abilities that any new character belonging to that class should have. Weapon proficiencies, armor proficiencies, and class core abilities. Anyone multiclassing into that class would get them all and in 3.0, a lot of class abilities were heavily front-loaded. 3.5 spread them out a bit more over initial levels so you couldn't get too much value out of a 1 level dip into the class. Star Wars Saga Edition took things a step further and multiclassing into a new class only got you one of the new class's starting feats rather than all of them.
So I'd say it's an ongoing trend - balancing multiclassing so that the sudden influx of a new class's level can't involve an outsized growth in a character's power, either as a spike or in breadth.

I've read through the 5E PHB, and I have to admit that initiative seems perplexing to me... apparently, you roll a Dex check... and then what? And no one can ever tie? Why not?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've read through the 5E PHB, and I have to admit that initiative seems perplexing to me... apparently, you roll a Dex check... and then what? And no one can ever tie? Why not?

You're looking at page 189 in the PHB? That describes the procedure pretty clearly. But the general idea of avoiding a tie is so that there's no ambiguity about what happens when 2 competing (or even contradictory) actions happen at the same time. If ties are resolved away, there's always a particular order in which to adjudicate the result of actions.

MarkB

Legend
the part I'm not getting is the Dex check... AIUI, ability checks are done against a Difficulty Class... how does this work for initiative?
Not all checks are done against a Difficulty Class. There are also opposed checks, where the number to beat is set by another character's skill check. Initiative is an opposed check in which every creature participating in the combat rolls. Once they've rolled, you write down their results and then resolve characters' turns in order, starting with whoever rolled the highest and working down.

G

Guest 6801328

Funny I was expecting this to be full of “How” questions, but it’s all “Why” questions. Or just straight up opinion.

Which doesn’t strike me as having much to do with being, or not being, a newbie.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases