• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metahuman College-Issue one: College bound [IC]

dmcfee

First Post
Ma Helmdig

Max pulls out a pad and pencil from the nightstand.

"Do you think you could draw me a picture of one of these Affinity creatures? Just so I know what to look for if trouble comes. I was also curious about that big hunk of 'ice' you arrived in. Was that your standard way of traveling or was that something else? Should we look for more of it in case the rest of your family came here too?"

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Mommy, what’s that man doing?” A child points at James and Amelia, but he is quickly snatched up by his mother and carried down the street. James is indeed getting some odd looks from passerby, but for the moment they were more interested in giving him wide berth.

“James? Where are you? Why can’t I see you?” James could hear that Amelia’s voice was trembling, and a moment later, she started to cry. “I’m scared…”

Aside from Amelia’s voice, James could still hear the conversation in the background. Even while straining to hear, he could just barely make out the words.

“Yes, she was brought in a few weeks ago. Poor thing has been in a coma ever since.” This was a female’s voice, and James recognized it to be that of one of the nurses at the hospital. “Well…. It looks like everything is in order. But still, I’d like for you to wait until after we’ve contacted the brother. Just to make sure he knows what he agreed to.”

“As you can see, he signed the consent form. I am afraid we really cannot delay any longer…” The man sounded impatient.

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

There is no answer from the train as Black Star approaches and calls out. She waits a few moments, but it becomes clear that whomever had hijacked the train was not willing to talk. However, one of the passengers, an elderly gentleman leans over to an open window, and calls out to her. “Please, please help up. He’s in here, somewhere.” Then, the gentleman turns to look at something in the train, before moving away from the window.

At last, another voice spoke up. This time it was that of a young man, though Black Star could not see whom it belonged to. “Sure, come on in. Can’t give you any assurances that you’ll be coming back out, though.”

-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Mr. Rice opens his mouth to say something, thinks better of it, and closes his mouth again. At last, he says, “Well, that is great, dear. What will you be studying?”

It appeared Mr. Hansen had taken an interest in what Cloud was saying. “Really, a college in Ireland? I’ve heard good things about a few of them. Tell me, which one will you be attending?”

-Max Helmdig
Aynor, South Carolina
Aug. 2, 2003

Rinea takes the pad and paper into her hands and begins to draw. As she did so, she answered his other question. “The ice? No, it is not the way we usually travel. It was something my father had been working on, to help escape the Affinity’s scanners.

At last, the drawing was complete, and she showed it to him. It was clear that she was not an artist, but Max was able to get a general idea of what it looked like. The creature looked very similar to the stereotypical alien: bipedal, with two long, spindly arms, a head that seemed too big for its body. Its only facial features were large, black eyes, and a thin, lip-less mouth. “This is what they look like, but they can take the form of any person they’ve met before.”

Calinon

First Post
Black Star sighs at the lack of remorse in his voice for the injuries he had already caused, and the lives he was endangering. Force field swirling about her, she flies into the train through the open window (or however you like). Looking around for any injured people, along with any signs of explosives, she tries to appear non-threatening.

"Perhaps you would tell me why you have done this? There were some very badly injured people outside." Providing she can see him, she'll address whomever it is. Otherwise, she'll just move to help any injured, speaking loudly enough to be heard.

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Mommy, what’s that man doing?” A child points at James and Amelia, but he is quickly snatched up by his mother and carried down the street. James is indeed getting some odd looks from passerby, but for the moment they were more interested in giving him wide berth.

“James? Where are you? Why can’t I see you?” James could hear that Amelia’s voice was trembling, and a moment later, she started to cry. “I’m scared…”

Aside from Amelia’s voice, James could still hear the conversation in the background. Even while straining to hear, he could just barely make out the words.

“Yes, she was brought in a few weeks ago. Poor thing has been in a coma ever since.” This was a female’s voice, and James recognized it to be that of one of the nurses at the hospital. “Well…. It looks like everything is in order. But still, I’d like for you to wait until after we’ve contacted the brother. Just to make sure he knows what he agreed to.”

“As you can see, he signed the consent form. I am afraid we really cannot delay any longer…” The man sounded impatient.

"Amelia, it's Ok. It's going to be OK. I..."

James freezes as he picks up on what the conversation is about. As the man speaks his final words, one thought runs through James' mind. Oh, f....Amelia!'
James is sprinting before he's even though about moving, heading for the hospital at breakneck speed, vaulting pedestrians as he goes. He glances into the road, looking for a car, any car -or better yet, any motorbike -, stopped at traffic lights.

(OOC: Right. James is running in the direction of the hospital. If he can find a car which is a) stationary and b) has someone in it (I.e., a car he can catch and which he isn't going to have to try and hotwire), he's going to break the driver window, KO the driver, haul him out and take the car. If there are others in the car, they get told to leave; if they refuse, he'll KO them and drive on. For a motorbike, same sort of thing, save he'll kick the owner off and zoom away. I'll give you numbers if you think it necessary, but it's a sad day for experimental super-soldiers if James can't deal with one average human. If the hospital's less than five minutes away on foot, disregard the GTA James' contemplating. Oh, and full Super-Dex is on, of course.)

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Dark Nemesis said:
Mr. Rice opens his mouth to say something, thinks better of it, and closes his mouth again. At last, he says, “Well, that is great, dear. What will you be studying?”

"Oh, I don't know yet," she says. "I wasn't really expecting to be going to school just yet. I'll probably just spend the first semester or two hitting the core classes and then try to figure out where my interests take me."

Dark Nemesis said:
It appeared Mr. Hansen had taken an interest in what Cloud was saying. “Really, a college in Ireland? I’ve heard good things about a few of them. Tell me, which one will you be attending?”

Cloud is a little leery of their guest's sudden interest in her affairs after the bad vibes she'd been getting from him all evening. Not wanting to be rude, however, she answers his question.

"It's called the Greenwood Academy," she says. "I still don't know too much about it. I guess that's what the open house is for. The brochure is pretty neat, but if I get there and find out it's a dive then I'll be looking for a quick way out."

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Jonn Birkey (Rumble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Jonn followed cautiously through the doorway and managed not to jump out of his skin as the door slammed shut behind them. The sound of tapping on metal made him turn to the left to try and determine where it was coming from.

"Yeah, sounds like I can hear something from behind this door over here. But I don't know how to figure out if it's bad guy or good guy." Feeling kind of silly about his last remark, Jonn decided to take action and walked towards the door. As he got closer he started to yell. "HELLO! CAN ANYONE HERE ME!"

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Marcus Stevens & Jonn Birkey
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

“Sounds like it, man,” Tank said with a grin. “If this works out, we’ll have to team up more often.”

Rumble’s yell echoed down the hallway, but nothing jumped out at them. From behind the metal door, both Marcus and Rumble could hear a female voice. “Hello? Can you hear me? I can’t get out!”

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

“I could, but I don’t think you would understand. Why don’t we just say its because they got in my way? If they don’t have the common sense to get out of the way, then surely they deserved it.” Despite the fact that these words were spoken quietly, Black Star had no trouble finding its source. It came from a slender young man sitting on the bench at the front of the car. He was dressed in a pair of blue jeans and a black tee shirt. Around his neck hung an unusual amulet, featuring a deep blue crystal that glowed in an eerie light. His eyes glowed with a similar hue. He held in his lap a small child, about two years old, who was crying quietly for his mother.

“And speaking of getting in the way, what business is this of yours? This is between me and my quarry.”

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

There was no need for any felonies today. The hospital was only a few blocks away, within sight of where James stood. Most of the pedestrians had the good sense to get out of James’ way as he sprinted toward the hospital, though more than one threatened to call the police.

As James tore up the driveway of the hospital, he saw a bored looking security guard standing at the sliding glass doors. The guard noticed James at about the same time, and moved to stop him. “Hey, slow down!”

-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

“I see…” Mr. Rice falls silent after that, though it is clear by the look on his face that he is contemplating various arguments that would keep his daughter from going to school outside of the country.

“Greenwood Academy, is it?” Mr. Hansen offered Cloud a charming smile. “I have heard of it, actually. A… wonderful facility. Though it was under construction last time I was there.” There was an unusual emphasis on the word ‘wonderful’… almost said with a sarcastic tone of voice.

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

There was no need for any felonies today. The hospital was only a few blocks away, within sight of where James stood. Most of the pedestrians had the good sense to get out of James’ way as he sprinted toward the hospital, though more than one threatened to call the police.

As James tore up the driveway of the hospital, he saw a bored looking security guard standing at the sliding glass doors. The guard noticed James at about the same time, and moved to stop him. “Hey, slow down!”

James didn't even pause, nimbly dodging past the guard's clumsy attempt to halt his forward motion. (Acrobatics +16; DC 25 to go through someone else's square, if needed. Will reroll if total is below 25 (making my reroll an automatic success). If that isn't necessary, I'll just dodge the guy. If he somehow gets in my way, I'll kick him to the ground and continue.)

James tore into the hospital and screeched to a halt at the front desk. He spoke hurriedly to the person there.

"Amelia Robertson. Is she still in the hospital? I'm her brother, James. I received word that some people were attempting to remove her, saying that they had my consent; and I can tell you that they have nothing of the sort. Please, hurry! This is important!"

James was obviously on edge, his exceptional vision letting him keep an eye on the lobby..and the security guard, no doubt bearing down on the man who'd so rudely pushed past him.

(OOC: Robertson'll be the false name James checked Amelia in under. He'll have ID for that name. He's left his and her first names as the same because it means he's less likely to slip up and use the wrong name.)

Last edited:

Calinon

First Post
"You have no remorse whatsoever?" Black Star said with some shock. "I would try to help you, because I would hate to see meta-humans labelled by this sort of action. People already fear us because of individuals like you," she says with building anger.

"You make it sound like you're some great hunter, after your 'quarry.' Does that make it easier for you to justify harming people? Does it help you justify holding an innocent child as a human shield?"

Black Star starts to look around, checking on how many people are in the car, guessing how long it would take them to get out before snapping her attention back to the man. Her eyes and hands start to exude blackness as she readies her powers.

"A man of honor would not do this. Do not make the mistake of thinking I will allow you to harm all of these people."

OOC: Well, she's not exactly the best diplomat under stress. Ideally, she'd like him to either negotiate or drop the child and attack her outright.

Should he threaten the child with harm, she will use extra effort to project a force shield around the child, using a hero point to negate fatigue. The same for anyone nearby. If he attacks her, her force field is already up, and she will respond with force field around the child as above first, then float towards him so she can block him from attacking others.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads