D&D 5E Metalic Dragonborn from D&D Celebration

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It has a minor nerf from the UA version (the breath weapon damage die going from 2d8 to 1d10), but the d10 scales better than it did in the UA, so it more or less balances out. I like this version, but I was more intrigued in how they would do the Chromatic Dragonborn, as the UA did have that "immunity to damage type" ability that might have balance issues.

It looks good, though. I'm glad that Dragonborn, after 7 years of sucking mechanically, are finally getting the fix that they needed.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun

Weiley31

Legend
Real talk though: Why is it that whenever WoTC allows you an option to change your element Damage type for something or whatever, its always the Fire, Acid, Lightning, Poison, Cold listing? Like I think Gem Dragonborn is going to be the only ones that break that tradition by offering Radiant, Thunder, Force, Necrotic, Psychic as choices this time around. Which could then potentially open the doorway to allow those as options as well instead of the usual elemental suspects.

Ixal

Hero
Real talk though: Why is it that whenever WoTC allows you an option to change your element Damage type for something or whatever, its always the Fire, Acid, Lightning, Poison, Cold listing? Like I think Gem Dragonborn is going to be the only ones that break that tradition by offering Radiant, Thunder, Force, Necrotic, Psychic as choices this time around. Which could then potentially open the doorway to allow those as options as well instead of the usual elemental suspects.
Probably because resistances to the traditional energy types are more common, meaning a switch to a uncommon one would be a powerup.

Weiley31

Legend
Probably because resistances to the traditional energy types are more common, meaning a switch to a uncommon one would be a powerup.
If that's the case, then technically the Gem Dragonborn would be the more superior option to take compared to Metallic/Chromatic for the Damage Element typing alone.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
If that's the case, then technically the Gem Dragonborn would be the more superior option to take compared to Metallic/Chromatic for the Damage Element typing alone.
Well, not really, because they get resistance to that same damage type, and the Gem Dragonborn's damage types are less common than the Metallic/Chromatic options. This balances it out, because though your enemies will be less likely to have resistance/immunity to your breath weapon, you'll be less likely to take that damage type and make use of your damage type.

Remove ads