Metamagic reduction

milo

First Post
What are all the different ways for an arcane caster to reduce his metamagic feat spell level increase?
I only know of a few. Metamagic school focus from complete mage. Incantrix prestige class lowered metamagic spell level, that is in MoF. I can't think of any other feats or class abilities that do that. I know you can take the rapid metamagic feats and use 1/day or 3x/day depending on the dm's variant. And the ever popular metamagic rods. Any body else have any sources?

Winding Road

First Post
Arcane Thesis from PHB2 allows you to lower the metamagic spell level increase by one for a specific spell. (It also gives you a +2 caster level for that spell.)

Cephid

First Post
I have a sorcerer/incantatrix with Arcane Thesis(disintegrate)
He casts empowered, split ray disintegrate as a 6th level spell (and at +2 caster level).

On that note, if I take heighten spell, could I apply a +2DC for no level increase?
(or a +2 to any other spell for a +1 level increase?)

milo

First Post
I don't think the reduction does much for heighten because you choose your increase. If you choose to cast as two levels higher and lowered by one it would be +1 DC or you could just ignore the ability for this feat and choose to cast as one level higher.

saucercrab

Explorer
milo said:
Incantrix prestige class lowered metamagic spell level, that is in MoF.
The incantatrix was updated in Player's Guide to Faerun. The dweomerkeeper PrC (originally from FR's Faiths & Pantheons, updated in Complete Divine's web enhancement) has the same ability, & the Halruaan elder PrC (from FR's Shining South) has a limited version.

Winding Road

First Post
Cephid said:
I have a sorcerer/incantatrix with Arcane Thesis(disintegrate)
He casts empowered, split ray disintegrate as a 6th level spell (and at +2 caster level).

On that note, if I take heighten spell, could I apply a +2DC for no level increase?
(or a +2 to any other spell for a +1 level increase?)

Arcane Thesis specifically calls out Heighten Spell as the only metamagic it doesn't affect. So that combo won't work.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Winding Road said:
Arcane Thesis specifically calls out Heighten Spell as the only metamagic it doesn't affect. So that combo won't work.
Also, you can't lower the Metamagic modifier below 1, so the Empowered Split Ray Disintegrate would still be level 8, not level6 like regular Disintegrate.

avr

First Post
Artificers have no special ability to reduce the spell level increase from metamagic except for being able to craft metamagic rods or purchase Sudden metamagic feats as usual. They may be overpowered but they have no special relationship with metamagic as far as I know.

Remove ads