• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metamorphosis: From Dretch to Demon Lord - Ascension Released!

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
SpuneDagr said:
It seems like Pyrak resents the chaotic nature of his race. He spends so much energy and effort forcing his minions to be as lawful as their nature allows. Is there a reason he does not embrace his tanar'riness?

Hey SpuneDagr,

I am glad someone picked up on Pyrak's less then demonic nature. While certainly not lawful Pyrak is far less chaotic than many of his demonic brethren, this is due to a few things. Firstly, being highly intelligent, Pyrak realizes that no matter how much he hates the devils, there is something to be said for their discipline and order in combat. Therefore he has tried to impose as much order on his horde as possible, which basically amounts to getting them to use very simple tatctics. There other influencs on Pyrak that have shifted his alignment more towards neutral evil, but I will reveal that in later installments. (although I am sure many of you have figured it already :D ).

Thanks for reading

Dirge

LuYangShih

First Post
Discipline would be an issue of Wisdom, not alignment. And order is not neccessarily the best way to wage war. Look at the Roman Empire, a greatly ordered army that marched across the globe. Yet in several places they were turned back, by armies I would describe as chaotic in alignment. The Arabs, the Scottish, and the Germanic Tribes all fought the Romans off, and they did so by fighting the Romans on their terms.

At one point, for example, Augustus was attempting to assimilate the Germanic Tribes through cultural exchange, instead of warfare. Unfortunately, the General he assigned to the region infuriated the locals due to a few actions he took. The Germans lured the Romans up into a valley where the ground was so slick, the Roman soldiers could not even turn around without slipping. The Germans were used to this terrain, but the Romans were not. They surrounded them, and turned the entire battle into a chaotic melee, slaughtering them all. That was a tenth of the Roman Legion, all lost in that one battle.

I think a chaotic army would play to their strengths, which would be one on combat and wild melees, not attempt to copy the tactics of their lawful enemies. The Devils are simply much better at that type of warfare than the Demons, and always will be. Dictating how the battle is fought is the key, and if Pyrak insists on engaging the Devils on their terms, I do not see how he can win.

Regardless of all that, however, great work so far, and I look forward to reading more.

Hackenslash

First Post
Brilliant.....

Hi BLACKDIRGE,

This installment was brilliant, very well written and totally absorbing. I have always wondered what combat would be like in the eternal "Blood War" and I think you have described it very well. I will be looking to this Story Hour for more inspiration on the "Blood War" as I am thinking of having a climatic battle between a Pit Fiend and a Balor in my own campaign with the PC's being on the side of the Pit Fiend to help stop the Chaos Hordes advance. Thanks again for the great story...Cheers :)

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Look_a_Unicorn said:
Blackdirge, how I envy your writing talents!
Love the setting for the campaign as well- though I am curious, as Pyrak an NPC or a PC?

Well...

I'm cheating, actually. The story of Hazergal is pure fiction and not based on any game I am currently running or have run in the past. I started this story hour at the recommendation of a few of my readers who had faithfully read my other works in the rogue's gallery.

I hope my break from normal "Story Hour" tradition doesn't disappoint you, as I am always grateful for new readers.

Besides, I'd have to be one crazy DM to allow one of my players to make anything near the power level of Pyrak. :D

Thanks for reading.

Dirge

P.S. I am halfway through the sixth installment. I should have it done by early next week.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
BLACKDIRGE said:
Well...

I'm cheating, actually. The story of Hazergal is pure fiction and not based on any game I am currently running or have run in the past. I started this story hour at the recommendation of a few of my readers who had faithfully read my other works in the rogue's gallery.

I hope my break from normal "Story Hour" tradition doesn't disappoint you, as I am always grateful for new readers.

Besides, I'd have to be one crazy DM to allow one of my players to make anything near the power level of Pyrak. :D

Thanks for reading.

Dirge

P.S. I am halfway through the sixth installment. I should have it done by early next week.

Don't mind a bit :)
Fora while I've been thinking about DM'ing a one player game whereby the PCa powerful individual & see how they go about accomplishing their stated goals, but for that they'd have to be as powerful as Pyrak (or equivalent in their realm)- I thought you might have been doing a similar thing. Oh well, must find other sources of information... but I'm still looking forward to the next installment!

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"You must learn patience, Ed Gruberman."
"Yeah! Patience! How long'll that take?"

(Anybody know what the :):):):) I'm talking about? :p)

So yeah. Anyway. Eagerly awaiting as always.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads