• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Metaphysics Adept Feat

Harzel

Adventurer
Metaphysics Adept Feat
Prerequisite: You are a spellcaster
You have magical training that allows you to twist your spells to suit your needs.
* You gain two of the following Metamagic options of your choice: Careful Spell, Distant Spell, Empowered Spell, Extended Spell, and Subtle Spell. See the Sorcerer class for details. In place of your Charisma modifier you may use your Spellcasting ability modifier, if higher. You can use each Metamagic option once per long rest, and never both at the same time.

The question is simple: would this be a feat you would take never, always or sometimes? :)

If I were taking this feat, I would definitely wheedle the DM to allow the uses to be independent of the Metamagic options. That is, if I chose Careful and Subtle, I could use Careful twice OR Subtle twice OR Careful once and Subtle once between long rests.

As to the number of uses, not many other feats confer limited use abilities. For comparison, Lucky is 3x/long rest, Magic Initiate yields two cantrips (at will) plus a spell 1x/long rest, and Martial Adept gives superiority die 1/short rest. Those are the only others I see. I think it would be worth considering giving 3 uses per long rest.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I created a similar feat, but I had it give you 2 sorcery points to use, instead of 1/day. I felt this made it useful for sorcerer's as well.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Personally I think it's perfect at 2 times. I'm not totally against 3 though. Level 4 sorcerers only get 4 spell points (that's 4 uses of those abilities per day). A wizard taking that at level 4 could have most of the sorcerers shitick for quite a while. Compared to martial adept that doesn't really follow IMO

If I were taking this feat, I would definitely wheedle the DM to allow the uses to be independent of the Metamagic options. That is, if I chose Careful and Subtle, I could use Careful twice OR Subtle twice OR Careful once and Subtle once between long rests.

As to the number of uses, not many other feats confer limited use abilities. For comparison, Lucky is 3x/long rest, Magic Initiate yields two cantrips (at will) plus a spell 1x/long rest, and Martial Adept gives superiority die 1/short rest. Those are the only others I see. I think it would be worth considering giving 3 uses per long rest.

Gadget

Adventurer
Might as well slap Sorcerers down a flight of stairs. But, if you're going to stake out the Sorcerer in the desert and take his stuff, fair enough. But I would argue that even bog standard Sorcerers could use more meta-magic options (not to mention spell options), and this over-caution on the part of WOTC is largely due a veritable 1e potion miscibility table of meta-magic options and spell combinations. There are probably a couple of reallllllly good spell + meta-magic combos that would make this feat a 'must have' for certain classes and tables.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looks good to me. I think I would often take it since there aren't too many useful caster type feats and adding a couple of extra options when casting spells would be useful in many cases. I might change it to being able to use either of them a total of twice per day so that you can use the same option twice if desired.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Looks good to me. I think I would often take it since there aren't too many useful caster type feats and adding a couple of extra options when casting spells would be useful in many cases. I might change it to being able to use either of them a total of twice per day so that you can use the same option twice if desired.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

I agree with that change!

Eubani

Legend
As is I already give each subtype of Sorcerer Extra Bloodline spells, increase their known spells by Cha Mod and doubled the number of Sorcery points. This brought them up to snuff. My next thought for when I have time is new spells that either fill elemental gaps or have sorcerer flavour. I have a feat almost the exact as the OP on offer as well and nothing unbalanced has occurred during a campaign that had several magic users of various types as well as npc's with the feat from levels 1-18.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I actually like it as a sorcerer only feat to provoke the use of lesser selected metamagic. If I intended to play a human variant sorcerer I would absolutely pick it up at as my starting human feat. I personally like the "adds 2 sorcerer points" and just adds to sorcerer meta magic options. But if we are talking about giving it to other classes, I would really want to drop empower since it is a another commonly selected metamagic that really seems like it was intended to increase the power of sorcerer spells to off set their lack of options and make them stand out compared to wizards. Really, the only other class I would want to have empowered spells is druids but since they can heal, that might not be a good idea. Empowered Cure wounds using a level 9 spell slot would be insane.

I already covered this in another thread. Add me to the list of those who feel this feat is an affront to sorcerers and should not exist unless there base sorcerer is buffed or a similar feat that is stealing from the strengths of prepared casters is created alongside (magic initiate does not count, though outright extra spells learned would).

The wizard has enough toys already, he doesn't need to steal the one thing the sorcerer has going for him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads