[MHB] +6 on all attributes for 200,000 ?

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Can this be correct?
I just found this belt in the Miniatures Handbook which gives +6 on all attributes for the measly price of 200,000 gp.

That doesn't seem right. Six items giving the same effect will cost more: 216,000 gp to be exact. How can it be when they're combined in one item they even get cheaper?

I sure hope this is in error and the next errata will clarify that.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Tarril Wolfeye said:
Can this be correct?
I just found this belt in the Miniatures Handbook which gives +6 on all attributes for the measly price of 200,000 gp.

That doesn't seem right. Six items giving the same effect will cost more: 216,000 gp to be exact. How can it be when they're combined in one item they even get cheaper?

I sure hope this is in error and the next errata will clarify that.

As best I can tell, this should cost 306,000 gp in 3.5, or 396,000 gp in 3.0.

FrankTrollman

First Post
Although it would probably make more sense if they did give you a deal on it.

What purpose does +6 Charisma serve to a front-line Fighter? What does a Plate-and-Shield Cleric need with +6 Dexterity? Why would an Evoker care about +6 Strength?

When you have an item that gives +6 to one attribute, you can give it to the character who will benefit the most from it. But when you have an item that gives +6 to every attribute, you are definately going to be getting some bonuses that aren't that great.

The Fighter rejoices at +6 Constitution, or +6 Dexterity - but +6 Wisdom is just there for the Will Save - he'd rather have a +3 Resistance item, and that's cheaper.

As you add +6 to more stats, they move farther away from your primary attributes - the later bonuses simply aren't worth as much as the earlier ones. So it would be logical to charge less for the additional stats, and not more.

-Frank

Artoomis

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
...As you add +6 to more stats, they move farther away from your primary attributes - the later bonuses simply aren't worth as much as the earlier ones. So it would be logical to charge less for the additional stats, and not more.

-Frank

ROFL

Stat improvement prices are completely independent of the possible value of that particular stat. As it should be.

This item would be worth more to a paladin or monk than a fighter since each of those has more critically important stats. As a paladin, for example:

+6 STR - Obvious great value in attacks, damage and some skills.
+6 DEX - Obvious great value in Reflex saves, AC and some skills.
+6 CON - Obvious great value in Fortitude saves, hit points and some skills.
+6 INT - Obvious great value in skill points (though we do not allow items to do this in our game, making this less valuable to a Paladin) and some skills.
+6 WIS - Obvious great value in Will saves, some skills and bonus spells.
+6 CHA - Obvious great value in all saves, turning undead, some feats (Divine Might especially) and some skills.

No discount would be appropriate for ANY of these except maybe INT for a paladin.

Actual cost should be:

36,000 for each +6 item ((6^2)*1,000). Multiplied by 6 gives 216,000. But, since each additional ability should be double priced, the real cost should probabaly be:

(36,000*6)+(36,000*5) = 396,000 (or, prehaps, 400,000 if you like nice, round numbers). That's double the MHB price!

Last edited:

FrankTrollman

First Post
Great Value for Wisdom in a Paladin? Gwa?

Paladins get Will Saves from their Charisma mostly, so Wisdom isn't particularly of critical importance there. And their spells suck and don't allow any saves anyway - so Wisdom is of virtually no importance there.

Once you have a 12 or so, most Paladins could give a damn about increasing their wisdom.

-Frank

Artoomis

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
Great Value for Wisdom in a Paladin? Gwa?

Paladins get Will Saves from their Charisma mostly, so Wisdom isn't particularly of critical importance there. And their spells suck and don't allow any saves anyway - so Wisdom is of virtually no importance there.

Once you have a 12 or so, most Paladins could give a damn about increasing their wisdom.

-Frank

A +6 WIS gives +3 to WILL saves, nothing to reject as trivial. Also, paladin spells are definately worthwhile - Holy Sword in particular. A high wisdom lets you have more of these and lets you have them earlier. I know. I run a paldin and so and keenly aware of what is of value to a paladin.

FrankTrollman

First Post
It's +3 to one save. Which is like a Charisma bonus of equal size except that it is one third as big, doesn't add to lay-on hands, doesn't add to smite evil, and allows you to get some crappy little spells.

Did I just say crappy little spells? I sure did! You'd get Holy Sword faster by multiclassing into Cleric Levels and taking the Glory Domain. Paladin Spells suck with both hands - so holding them up as "worthwhile" is a joke. They aren't even worth taking the class to get - let alone taking the class and having to bogart otherwise useless stat bonuses for.

Wisdom is less than 1/3 as good for a Paldin as Charisma is - and is thusly completely lame. And of course, in 3.5 Enhancement Bonuses to Intellect do not carry over into skill points, rendering that portion of the item completely worthless.

So the Paladin gives a damn about 4 stats (maybe only three if he already has a Dex of 16). That's a lot, but a bonus to 4 stats with the cost increase for being multipurpose on one item would still only cost 198,000 gp - and the item in question costs slightly more than that. So for the Paladin, it's a pretty good deal - 3 good stat increases, one moderate stat increase, one minor stat increase, and a meaningless stat bump all for the price you'd pay for 4 stat increases if they were all good.

What's the problem?

-Frank

Storminator

First Post
Artoomis said:
ROFL

<SNIP>

Actual cost should be:

36,000 for each +6 item ((6^2)*1,000). Multiplied by 6 gives 216,000. But, since each additional ability should be double priced, the real cost should probabaly be:

(36,000*6)+(36,000*5) = 396,000 (or, prehaps, 400,000 if you like nice, round numbers). That's double the MHB price!

You forgot the body slot affinity penalty.

PS

FrankTrollman

First Post
You forgot the body slot affinity penalty.

It doesn't matter. So long as any of the abilities match the affinity it is not an "item that does not match the affinity for a particular body slot".

So long as any of the six bonuses match the affinity, the item does not suffer a penalty. Remember, body slot affinity is by item, not by power.

-Frank

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
FrankTrollman said:
It doesn't matter. So long as any of the abilities match the affinity it is not an "item that does not match the affinity for a particular body slot".

So long as any of the six bonuses match the affinity, the item does not suffer a penalty. Remember, body slot affinity is by item, not by power.

Does that mean that a shirt Cha +6 costs more than a shirt of Str +2 and Cha +6?

Remove ads