D&D General Michael Moorcock live twitch interview Oct 8th by Goodman Games Sanctum Secorum!

The last living Appendix N author, and he's still going. I suppose it helps that he was only about 25 when he created Elric.

I really am amazed he is still alive.

And with a new Elric book!

Previously, only movies could've had the budget to bring Elric to life. And his story is sprawling enough to require more than a trilogy (though its frequently episodic nature means you could condense it, if you had to). But now CGI has gotten affordable and good enough that you could see a TV series and not have to trim it to the bone.

Although, I would love to envision a world where Wendy Pini's animated adaptation happened. File that in the same timeline where Bakshi's Lord of the Rings got that part 2, I suppose.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The last living Appendix N author, and he's still going. I suppose it helps that he was only about 25 when he created Elric.
Yup. He was a young buck cranking out pulp fantasy 20-40 years after the original waves of writers started.

Previously, only movies could've had the budget to bring Elric to life. And his story is sprawling enough to require more than a trilogy (though its frequently episodic nature means you could condense it, if you had to). But now CGI has gotten affordable and good enough that you could see a TV series and not have to trim it to the bone.

Although, I would love to envision a world where Wendy Pini's animated adaptation happened. File that in the same timeline where Bakshi's Lord of the Rings got that part 2, I suppose.
I still have her Stormbringer book. Some fantastic art in there, but then, I was an ElfQuest fan from a young age.

DonoZen

Explorer
Over the decades, he has been very open to tv or movie projects being made of any of his stuff. It's just always fallen through time and again.
I've read many times of some producer or studio buying the rights to his different works, and then not being made.

He's recently given up on Elric being made at all because of the similarities to The Witcher.

But, the Hawkmoon series seems to be recently at the BBC with the producer of Good Omens behind it.

Hawkmoon would pretty darn cool to see brought to life. I think it would need to be a little less po-faced than most of the other fantasy adaptations of late, to bring home some of the biting satire of it.

But, the Hawkmoon series seems to be recently at the BBC with the producer of Good Omens behind it.

Yeah, his look*, especially wearing that helmet, seemed inspired by some of the Elric art we've seen over the years.

*Except now that he's cut it shorter, he looks more like Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy

Watching the recent Game of Thrones Spinoff I felt the dragon riding Matt Smith white-haird sword fighting royal Targeryan was a decent Elric.

GuyBoy

Hero
Hawkmoon/Runestaff would make a wonderful TV series.
The portrayal of a feral, bloated and cruel Granbretan, heroically resisted by a hero from mainland Europe would certainly strike a zeitgeist right now, as well as giving a dig to the UK equivalent of those who support the values of LaNasa etc in the US.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Well, I stand corrected. I'm glad to see that Moorcock wants to get some of his stories to film/TV. And I really hope he does. Yeah, Elric will be met with accusations of being derivative. :ROFLMAO: I think there's probably a TV Tropes page for that phenomena.

Does anyone else here want to see Dancers at the End of Time made into a series? That and The Warhound and the World's Pain are probably my 2 favourite Moorcock stories.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Does anyone think (or know) whether this is an indication that Goodman Games are going to release some Moorcock-related RPG material? I'm an absurdly huge fan of Mike and his work and loved Mongoose's take on the material but I'm always up for some more takes on the Multiverse.

Can't wait to read the book, either. I know it's developed from a couple of short stories with new material added (including, I would guess, an ending to the stuff begun in the short stories) and so will be an interesting expansion to the world of the Young Kingdoms I have Fabrice Colin's novella expansion of (iirc) Black Petals, which forms part of the new novel - will be interesting to see if Mike draws on any of that version as well. I guess I can ask him :)

teitan

Legend
Does anyone think (or know) whether this is an indication that Goodman Games are going to release some Moorcock-related RPG material? I'm an absurdly huge fan of Mike and his work and loved Mongoose's take on the material but I'm always up for some more takes on the Multiverse.
The DCC system would be the best system for it in my opinion as it is already written with Moorcock in mind, especially the Elf class, its just a Melnibonean emperor in Elf clothes after all.

I think of all the fantasy stuff out there Elric, more than any other, lends itself to TV's nature better than the rest. The books, especially the classic 6 (or 7?) are shorter than the epic sprawls that they seem to want to adapt to the small screen like GRR Martin or Witcher. They won't have to butcher the stories to fit the 10-13 episode format. The darker more horror elements would really play to the modern audience that bought into GoT and The Witcher without looking like... The Witcher or GoT. The story is unique, it has visual flair, it has pathos and an operatic breadth and the doomed ending is certain but how it ends, well, it won't be like GoT where only a few saw that swerve coming from Season 1.

I'd add Lankhmar to that list too, wonderful set up there for a series even thought it doesn't really have a conclusion.

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I think of all the fantasy stuff out there Elric, more than any other, lends itself to TV's nature better than the rest. The books, especially the classic 6 (or 7?) are shorter than the epic sprawls that they seem to want to adapt to the small screen like GRR Martin or Witcher. They won't have to butcher the stories to fit the 10-13 episode format. The darker more horror elements would really play to the modern audience that bought into GoT and The Witcher without looking like... The Witcher or GoT. The story is unique, it has visual flair, it has pathos and an operatic breadth and the doomed ending is certain but how it ends, well, it won't be like GoT where only a few saw that swerve coming from Season 1.

I'd add Lankhmar to that list too, wonderful set up there for a series even thought it doesn't really have a conclusion.
I agree on all points. Both are also sketchy in a lot of their larger worldbuilding, which means less canon to violate and some more room for creative expression by show writers and designers.

With them having done Lankhmar and Empire of the East, and Dying Earth on its way, an Elric-based DCC RPG would be awesome, and a perfect fit. There's been no official word, just people saying how awesome it would be.

Voadam

Legend
With them having done Lankhmar and Empire of the East, and Dying Earth on its way, an Elric-based DCC RPG would be awesome, and a perfect fit. There's been no official word, just people saying how awesome it would be.

Dying Earth is on its way? Good to hear. I like the DE RPG stuff, but I always wanted more straight D&D Vance stuff than the one d20 vat magic book that was put out.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Dying Earth is on its way? Good to hear. I like the DE RPG stuff, but I always wanted more straight D&D Vance stuff than the one d20 vat magic book that was put out.
It is. I backed the Kickstarter. Last update to the KS page was Aug 22.

All the DCC Dying Earth books are now at the printer!​

Whew. This is a HUGE project and it took many steps to accomplish this goal!

Thanks to everyone who helped proof all the books to get us here. Especially all the fans who sent in all the typos they found!

Technical details: all the books are at the printer. We still need to design the boxes, which we'll do once the printer gives us the specs. And there are a few other minor things to work through. But the vast majority of the content - the hundreds and hundreds of pages of it - is all ready for the printing process to work its magic!

There is lots more to come, and we will update you on PDFs, dice tubes, and other such things soon.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4