Micro Game at the dinner table

Inglorin

Explorer
Hiho,

I'm hosting a rpg/story game dinner party at the end of the year and I am desperately looking for a kind of micro rpg game you could play at the dinner table while having food. So no special jenga towers, very few to none other things you have to handle apart from your fondue forks. I am looking for something engaging and fun, some story, some character banter, and maybe without the need for a host or game master. Simple rules prefered. The fondue rules are hard enough for my players.

This game will not be the main event of the evening. I think we will be playing something along the lines of 10 Candles (it's just after christmas after all) or Sword Without Master for the main game. This is just something to pass the time while we stuff our mouths with delicious food.

I have cast my evil gaze on James D'Amato's "Ultimate RPG Character Backstory Guide", but havn't read enough information online to see if there is something available there for this instance. Any other ideas are very welcome.

Thanks for your help.

delphonso

Explorer
Anything in the Lasers and Feelings/Swords and Scrolls family will do. Rules light and goofy - needs a GM, but we've played successfully by rotating GMs for scenes.

aco175

Legend
It would be a great way to create session 0 backstory for the PCs. Things like how they know each other and childhood stories that give the PC faults and such. This way while one person is talking about their PC, everyone else can eat.

I'm also thinking a dice rolling tower set on a lazy Susan in the middle of the table for rolling on a chart of family problems growing up.

Spaztian

Villager
Hiho,

I'm hosting a rpg/story game dinner party at the end of the year and I am desperately looking for a kind of micro rpg game you could play at the dinner table while having food. So no special jenga towers, very few to none other things you have to handle apart from your fondue forks. I am looking for something engaging and fun, some story, some character banter, and maybe without the need for a host or game master. Simple rules prefered. The fondue rules are hard enough for my players.

This game will not be the main event of the evening. I think we will be playing something along the lines of 10 Candles (it's just after christmas after all) or Sword Without Master for the main game. This is just something to pass the time while we stuff our mouths with delicious food.

I have cast my evil gaze on James D'Amato's "Ultimate RPG Character Backstory Guide", but havn't read enough information online to see if there is something available there for this instance. Any other ideas are very welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Fiasco would work well. You can find a play set for it that is D&D themed that does a good job at creating an interesting starting party with lots of connections and needs.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm thinking D&D 3rd ed. Just make sure everyone has a side plate for their mashed potatoes, that can be spread out to about 8.5 by 11 inches.

Remove ads