Microsoft to purchase Activision Blizzard for $68.9 billions

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I will say that on the one hand this kind of aggregation of creative studios under one roof bothers me. Just like Disney acquiring 20th century Fox in the move/tv world. It has the potential to lead to a reliance on proven IP and an unwillingness to try new things because its a safer bet to just try to repackage some existing IP.

On the other hand, Activision Blizzard is a dumpster fire that needed something to happen to get it cleaned up. Change there wasn't going to happen from within - it needs a shake up. Whether this will be enough is I guess something we'll have to wait and see.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also, hopefully change Diablo 4 so it can be played offline (at least on Consoles if nothing else) rather than being an MMORPG lite (like an MMO, but without as much stuff). That right there is almost enough to make it so I don't buy Diablo 4. I remember what happened with Diablo 3 when it came out (constant time outs, etc) and the problems with it being always online. Add to that with the more recent Diablo 2R ques just to get to play the SP portion of the game (sometimes people would wait hours, longest I waited thus far was 30 minutes...but still...FAR to long just so you can play the game because it wants to verify it) and I get a BAD feeling about the troubles Diablo 4 will have when it is released if it is going to basically be an always online game.

Diablo2R was a disaster because they used legacy code that meant that since only a single instance of the service could be run at any given time, it couldn't be offloaded to regional servers.

In other words, during this process, they never thought, "Hey, maybe we should look at the code that we wrote for a game that was released in 2000, and see if there's been any changes in the way things are handled. You know, in case there's more load now? Especially in the first few months after launch?"

Blizzard used to be one of the gold-standard studios; that type of error doesn't make me super-hopeful for Diablo 4 ... let alone all the other issues with Activision.

271992893_10158706436732014_3612940711972329711_n.jpg

Microsoft wants to become the "Disney empire" of videogame industry. I wouldn't be surprised with more news about acquistions, or maybe partnersip, with no-videogame companies.

Today the IPs are the new gold mines, because these can be used to sell different products as multimedia franchises.

Just subscribed to gamepass.

It's so good updating to a new Xbox or PS5 is a bit pointless atm.
I found the graphics and how games respond to be worth it IMO, I played Skyrim on both the xbox one and now the series x and omg, it's so much more fluid and the same with other games that I upgraded to the series x enhancements. I mainly have the ultimate game pass,so I don't have to buy games and be disappointed in them looking at you rainbow six

Zardnaar

Legend
I found the graphics and how games respond to be worth it IMO, I played Skyrim on both the xbox one and now the series x and omg, it's so much more fluid and the same with other games that I upgraded to the series x enhancements. I mainly have the ultimate game pass,so I don't have to buy games and be disappointed in them looking at you rainbow six

I know it's better but not worth it for me. Also never buy new consoles on release or early on;)

Remove ads