Midgard iPad App - Future of Maps?

IronWolf

blank
Kobold Press recently released the Midgard Atlas for the iPad as an app. Has anyone else taken a look at it yet? I did a quick mini-review at my blog yesterday.

The app is pretty cool and seems to be a great way to do a campaign map. It is much smoother than any poster map PDF or map included in a PDF. Smooth zooming, tap for detail on certain cities, etc.

I am thinking this is going to be the future for campaign maps from other settings. I can think of a few more cool things a company could do with maps as well using an app like this.

Gilladian

Adventurer
But is it customizeable? Can a DM add his or her own sites to the map? If I add a town, a village, a dungeon, a ruin, or whatever else, or change a name that I find awkward, at least on a print map I can make a note of the addition or change.

If an app is totally fixed, I would be uncomfortable using it.

IronWolf

blank
But is it customizeable? Can a DM add his or her own sites to the map? If I add a town, a village, a dungeon, a ruin, or whatever else, or change a name that I find awkward, at least on a print map I can make a note of the addition or change.

It is not customizable.

I don't customize maps from published campaign worlds very often. Not to say I don't add things, but I don't mark the map to do so. So I did not even think about the lack of customization.

I wouldn't think it impossible to allow customization if a publisher wanted to add that feature though. It just isn't in this particular app.

Janx

Hero
It is not customizable.

I don't customize maps from published campaign worlds very often. Not to say I don't add things, but I don't mark the map to do so. So I did not even think about the lack of customization.

I wouldn't think it impossible to allow customization if a publisher wanted to add that feature though. It just isn't in this particular app.

I don't write in books or on printed maps either. It's just ain't right.

though an eMap implentation has the opportunity to enable marking it up (since you can revert to the original again). I reckon it still enters complicated territory. Once you say, "I want to put a note that there's a new city here" it'll quickly become, "I want to actually put the map of the new city here."

Karak

First Post
Kobold Press recently released the Midgard Atlas for the iPad as an app. Has anyone else taken a look at it yet? I did a quick mini-review at my blog yesterday.

The app is pretty cool and seems to be a great way to do a campaign map. It is much smoother than any poster map PDF or map included in a PDF. Smooth zooming, tap for detail on certain cities, etc.

I am thinking this is going to be the future for campaign maps from other settings. I can think of a few more cool things a company could do with maps as well using an app like this.

Thanks for the review.
I like it and hope more companies do something like this but I get a weird lag sometimes.

falcarrion

First Post
I just picked up the app and I think it's great. With the ability to do screen shots. I just zoom into an area. Take a screen shot. and print the pic. then if needed I can hand it out. Or write notes on it. the next thing I 'll be trying is use airplay through my apple tv to display it on my lcd game table. The cloud feature is cool. Having them floating across the map is a great idea.

BriarMonkey

First Post
While the customizability item is something to consider, I have to say that I find myself in an odd spot. By that, this is an Apple device only application. I don't use Apple anythings. I am a Windows user. So, at least in this case, if there is no Windows version, then there is no interest to me what-so-ever.

'Tis somewhat amusing though - which is also why I consider it odd - a lot of Apple based apps have been coming out, but not so much for Windows. It wasn't that long ago that everything was Windows, and Apple was not anything anyone considered in their development plans... Funny how things flip-flop.

falcarrion

First Post
Even though i
i have a few apple products. I still am a windows pc user. No apple computer.
I do love my Ipad, Itouch, and apple tv. The price of apps compaired to windows software makes a big difference as well as virus problems. For me at least.

Remove ads