• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight 2nd Edition

SSquirrel

Explorer
Late to the party, but I'd like to chime in that Midnight 2Ed is, IMHO, one of the best 3.X fantasy games out there- on par with AU/AE and the core game- both in terms of fluff and innovative mechanics.

Even if I never get to play it (I haven't DM'ed in a while), I'm yoinking its Heroic Paths for my future 3.X homebrew campaigns.

Ya know Danny, you and I disagree fairly often, esp regarding 4th Ed, but this is a solid endorsement in my book. We disagree, but you know good rules and such when ya see em. Might hafta keep an eye out for something the equal of AE.

Tilenas

Explorer
The setting is great indeed, I consider running my next campaign in it.
One question concerning magic: with all that magecraft feat, spellcasting feat and level, how many points of spell energy does a character have? I've read the given sections over and over, but it's not spelled out clearly enough, i think. Is it really only your relevant ability modifier (from magecraft) + your level in channeler or certain prestige classes? That seems pretty low (not that it's bad or anything, I'm just wondering).

daddystabz

Explorer
Would any peeps be interested in making adjustments to this setting for 4e? I would LOVE to run 4th. edition in this setting but it seems some fairly heavy modification would need to happen. Would anyone else be interested in this project?

Also, I initially thought that Paladins did not exist in this setting but if you read the description of the Guardian in the campaign book you will see that it is very similar to a Paladin. Not in the traditional sense completely but very similar overall.

Dirigible

Explorer
Also, I initially thought that Paladins did not exist in this setting but if you read the description of the Guardian in the campaign book you will see that it is very similar to a Paladin. Not in the traditional sense completely but very similar overall.

The difference being there is only one Guardian, ever: the PC that chooses that Heroic Path. If no PC chooses it, then there were and are no Guardians in the world.

There's a PrC called Lightbringer or Lightbearer in the City of Shadows book which is awfully paladin-like, though.

daddystabz

Explorer
The difference being there is only one Guardian, ever: the PC that chooses that Heroic Path. If no PC chooses it, then there were and are no Guardians in the world.

There's a PrC called Lightbringer or Lightbearer in the City of Shadows book which is awfully paladin-like, though.

And that VERY idea is EXACTLY how I was going to play it if I have any players that want to be a Paladin or Cleric. They are the only ones of their type in the entire game world and things are even more dangerous for them. Think of Goldmoon's staff in Dragonlance and you have an idea of how I would handle a cleric.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I've been reading through the Midnight 2E rulebook and I have to say there are strong parallels with the Black Company if you tried to play a campaign under the rule of the Dominator.

The similarities are:

Domintator - Izrador
The Ten Who Were Taken - The Night Kings
The White Rose - Witch Queen

The seige of Erethor has echoes of how the Dominators army would have been forced to attack the rebels supporting the White Rose by force of arms rather than sorcery.

Even the magic system seems broadly similar . . .

I suppose the big difference is that in the world of the Black Company the rebels had hope in the form of the White Rose whereas in Midnight there is the absence of hope!

Last edited:

Mamacat

First Post
IMO, I'd save your money, and get Black Company. It's a much better setting, and it's only one book. A lot more flexible, better value, better writing...just better all around. I ended up selling all my midnight stuff, and just using Black Company.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
IMO, I'd save your money, and get Black Company. It's a much better setting, and it's only one book. A lot more flexible, better value, better writing...just better all around. I ended up selling all my midnight stuff, and just using Black Company.

I already have the Black Company - a great book! Currently reading the compendium of the Books of the South!

I think of the Midnight books as complementary!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Black Company, you say?

I bought that as a gift to a buddy of mine who is WAAAAAAY into the series...he ran it in 2Ed, even.

But I bought and gifted it without reading or even skimming it, and he hasn't run it yet- maybe I should give it a look for myself.

Remove ads