[Midnight]: Help for novice DM

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Hey, everyone!
So, I've decided to take it upon myself to begin running a "Midnight" campaign.

I read and re-read the rules and we've begun character generation, so I have a working knowledge of the setting and system.

But, I need a plot thread to begin the campaign. I've read hundreds (if not thousands) of fantasy/sci-fi novels, but for some reason, I can't think of a place to begin this campaign.

I've been to the "Against the Shadow" fansite (which is spectacular, BTW), and I read everything there, but I'm looking for something slightly more detailed than what I found. (And the "Crown of Shadows" module just didn't do it for me for some reason.)

So, can anyone point me to some detailed adventure hooks/modules for a 1st level "Midnight" party, or, better yet, post some here?

Also, what do people think of Legates as PC's?
I have a player who wants to play one, but to me, it seems anithetical to the whole theme of my campaign, even if he goes for the "rebellious/renegade" angle.

Last edited:

Emiricol

Well first of all, since all divine magic comes from Izrador directly, a renegade Legate would very quickly end up without access to his magic. Unless the DM decides otherwise, of course, but that's how it works as presented. There's been a few conversations on the topic at AgainstTheShadow, however.

As to detailed... If the ones in the ATS site aren't detailed enough, it sounds like you want a modcule specifically to start 1st level PCs off. I might suggest you check out the Steel Hill writeup at ATS, combine with the "players start out as slaves" motif, and throw in a gnome merchant who is secretly in cahoots with the resistance. Maybe he needs a diversion to get an important resistance member out before his identity is discovered, and in return, they'll take the PCs along with them.

Or, have everyone start as commoners (see Tome of Sorrows) in a village which gets sacked; the PCs know about a group of bandits nearby, and as the sole survivors, must find those bandits and convince them they aren't agents of shadow. Or have the bandits find them, and they have to convince them they aren't agents. From there, the bandits can provide a nice kick in the rump as to how the campaign progresses from there.

Not sure what you had in mind...

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Or, have everyone start as commoners (see Tome of Sorrows) in a village which gets sacked; the PCs know about a group of bandits nearby, and as the sole survivors, must find those bandits and convince them they aren't agents of shadow. Or have the bandits find them, and they have to convince them they aren't agents. From there, the bandits can provide a nice kick in the rump as to how the campaign progresses from there.

Cool idea.
Actually, my initial thought was to have a session to begin where everyone plays children from the same village who are present for it's destruction. This serves as somewhat of a link between the PC's before we even begin. Then we can flash-forward to the present.

And I'm tempted to just say "No" to the Legate character, but I'll let him make his case, and if he makes a compelling, and choerent enough argument, I'll consider it.

Lensman

First Post
I always though about starting a Midnight game with the PC's in chains being lead to a slave worked mine would be a great hook. Toiling in a mine under a ork's lash while they try and work out a way to escape would make a great starting point. You wouldn't even have to have them know each other. They are chained together and you go from there. :D And when they do escape you have a man hunt as they try and find a place of relative safety.

After that you have them join or even start a resistance movement in the area.

Last edited:

NTZ

First Post
I'm surprised you have read 'everything' at AtS. There are a lot of nooks and crannies there! Your best bet is to post a message on the AtS boards if you haven't already. There are many helpful people there willing to help all newcomers to Midnight. :cool:

Did you read Stalking Blue's Midnight story hour? I think that one is good.

NTZ

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
I'm surprised you have read 'everything' at AtS. There are a lot of nooks and crannies there! Your best bet is to post a message on the AtS boards if you haven't already. There are many helpful people there willing to help all newcomers to Midnight.

Fair enough. I intend to post there as well when I have a chance.

And yes, there will be a Midnight 2nd Edition. There's alctually a thread about it over at the AtS site.

Eremite

Explorer
ShadowDenizen said:
(snip) And yes, there will be a Midnight 2nd Edition. There's actually a thread about it over at the AtS site.

It's also mentioned on Amazon, FYI.

Addressing the original question, one suggestion I would make is beginning the campaign in a manner reminiscent of the opening scenes of Conan the Barbarian. Let the players play orcs and legates assaulting a village... and then start the campaign proper the next session a few years later with their characters having a desire to avenge the loss of family members, neighbours etc....

A campaign could then quite naturally flow from seeking out the orcs and legates who did this to their village.

Also, there is an introductory adventure in the main book plus there is a small free introductory adventure that was originally in Game Trade Magazine (you can find it on the AtS site) and that is likely to be enough to get the party ready to play in Crown of Shadow. That segues nicely into the Wil Upchurch adventure, Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil which can be purchased from RPGNow or DireKobold.com.

HTH.

Remove ads